Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dr. Pellegrino
An_198896 posted:
Could you please give us some input on profuse sweating. Is there anyway of reducing it? Are there any meds that work? What do you think about Botox inj. for head sweating?

We are desperate, please help!!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Lots of sweating going on now that summer is here! Here's my previous response to a question like yours: "Sweating problems are common in FM because of the autonomic nerve dysfunction. The sweat glands receive nerve supply from specific autonomic nerves called sympathetic sudomotor nerves. Sweating regulates our body temperature (called thermoregulation). In FM, dysutonomia is present and causes too much sweating usually, but sometimes the opposite occurs and our skin can be too dry.

Throw in the usual suspects that overstimulate our autonomics: weather changes, heat, sunlight, certain meds esp SSRI's & SNRI's, position changes ie laying down, stress, exercise attempts etc and we become bona fide sweating machines!

Treatments for excessive sweating are limited. I advise my patients to avoid aggravating factors if they can, use antiperspirants not deodorants, and sometimes an anti-cholinergic medicine can be tried.
Work with your doc."

Dr. P

An_198897 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Thank you for your response! I am sorry that I missed a previous post about this and I am, sorry, to be wasting your valuable time. Newbie's will find this informative! Not a complete waste!

My Doc is always in a hurry. I need to search for info., research it, and them quickly present my findings to him. Maybe I should find a new Doc.

Can you give me your opinion on which anti-cholinergic med is a good one to start with? Which on is the most effective with little to no side effects?

m_davis replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
I have not been a sweater, but here lately I have been sweating like I am almost being thrown back into menopause. Wow, interesting, another thing with this FM.

kittlecat replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
What are anti-cholinergic meds and how do they work? I too have sweating issues, mostly at night. I'll wake up sweating. It tapered off a bit but recently since I moved from Michigan to Louisiana, it started again. I'm on Elavil at night for sleep, neurontin for pain and sleep, plus vicodin for extreme knee and back pain. I sleep well but only if I take my drugs. I'm also on lexapro.

Eileen

Nanatteacher replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Dr. P,
I hate to be a "damper" but I have to bring up the recent studies that caution women against using ANTI-PERSPIRANTS because they stop the sweat glands under our arms from perspiring which actually rids our system of the toxins that are in us. When we use these products to stop the sweating, where do these toxins go? It is believed that this is one of the factors leading to breast cancer because these toxins reside in the lymph nodes under the arms and around the breasts and, therefore, could be leading to cancer. I was diagnosed with fibro in January 2010 and I, too, am suffering not only from the pain, but also the sweating and hot flashes, sometimes to the point of weakness. I thought for the longest that the hot flashes were just menopause, but they are so much stronger and more frequent than ever before. I am pleased to read the posts from these other "sister sufferers"! Now I know the culprit.

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to Nanatteacher's response:
Hi Nanatteacher,

Funny pun...."damper"...!

I think we need to be careful with facts versus myths in this situation. I've seen a lot of internet rumors on this topic that sound scary, but I think I think it's important to research what is actually known. Here are a couple of references from credible organizations, The Amercian Cancer Society and The National Cancer Institute.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/AP-Deo

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/OtherCarcinogens/AtHome/antiperspirants-and-breast-cancer-risk

Hope this helps. Don't forget you have "brother sufferers" here too! We are part of your FMily!! (No we don't do menopause, but we sweat...

Dr. P

terramac59 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Dr. P,
I have been having this sweating issue since 2003. Was recommended to have a complete hysterectomy (at 42!) This obviously did NOT stop my sweating. Have since seen an Endocrinologist who has said my sweating is not female hormonal related. I sweat everywhere, profusely. I even sometimes feel a slight electrical type of shock or tingle in my skin just before I have a severe episode. Gabapentin has helped some. I have just started Lyrica and it seems to help too. Are these considered an anti-cholinergic medication? If not, why do they help some? And what are some anti-cholingeric medications we can talk to our Dr. about.
terramac59

Bettyslaugh replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
I had no idea that this was even a FM issue!! I am overweight and always assumed that this was the reason for it. Perhaps not...perhaps both. Miserable either way.

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to terramac59's response:
Hi Terramac59,

Anti-sweating meds can include terazosin, an alpha-1 adrenergic receptor blocker, and anti-cholinergic meds such as clonidine, oxybutyrin, and benztropine, among others. Any of these meds have to be prescribed by the treating doctor and depends on each patient's specific clinical situation.

Dr. P

chouchoudeux replied to kittlecat's response:
Hello fellow sweat-ers!
I just downloaded this definition...
Anticholinergic: The action of certain medications that inhibit the transmission of parasympathetic nerve impulses and thereby reduce spasms of smooth muscle (such as that, for example, in the bladder).

Not sure if it is very helpful (without drug names), but your dr. will be able to find out.
I too thought it was hormonal, but I get major face sweat in the mornings after showering. I now have a small fan in the bathroom...
Mary

jesdansam replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
I have to have the A/c in the house on and a fan constantly blowing on me and I still have what I call sweat attacks. Everyone else in the room is cold or comfortable and I just sweat and sweat. This past Sunday in church I thought for sure it was like a 110 in the church but no it was just me having one of my attacks.Oh joy just one more thing to worry about.

onfiredizzynauseaus replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
I am female,51, and have had the sweats since my children were born, 27 yrs,now. I have never heard that sweats are from Fibro, as I was one of the very first patients to be diagnosed with Fibro. How could I have missed this symptom? I thought I finally had the sweating narrowed down to MS, as MS has a specific reason we feel like we are on fire. I sweat even while lying on couch. Have a fan in every room, my house can never get cold enough this summer. My heat has made life unbearable, and can not work any longer. Will be applying for SS Disability. I am on:
Savella 50mg, Oxycodone 5mg (4xday), just put back on neruontin, (stopped the Hormone replacements as they do NOTHING to stop the flashes),xanax 2mg, ambien 10mg, cyclobenzaprine 2x night, BP medicine, and 60 mg Prozac!
Bupap for migraines.
Have not been to work for over three weeks, and right now I feel like I could sleep 24/7. In past three weeks, feel like it is a chore to get up and make myself any food. Drinking V-8, and Boost Drinks, just to have something in my stomach. Thought of having to get up and out to grocery store is horrible. Took me all day, yesterday to go put gas in my car.
Cut my grass Last Saturday evening, took me 3 hours, as I had to stop and start, lawn is very small, and next day felt that a truck had hit me. Just now able to type. I am so sleepy that I don't even want to be on the computer, but I know I have to do some paperwork, return e-mails, pay online bills. BUt my mind is so stuck in my fog, that I keep repeating myself and can't even make a grocery list. REceived 21 day detox diet book. Thought if all I can do is drink, might as well drink nutrionally, and anxious to see if I can feel more alert.

God bless you for letting us know about Fibro and sweating. Have NEVER heard of this connection before.

God Bless you!

foxtrotblonde replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Hi, I have fibro and chronic intractable neck pain syndrome, chronic daily headaches/migraines 2-5x a week as well as hypothyroidism, osteoporosis, reflux disorder, asthma and irritable bladder and I'm 52.

I have a variable temperature problem. One minute I am too hot and 1-5 minutes later I can be too cold and back and forth, hot and cold, hot and cold, hot and cold. It drives me crazy as it, plus underrelieved pain, keeps me from falling and staying asleep. I have several fans going on to put direct air on me but find I put on and take off sheet/one comforter, take off light jacket/put back on over and over and over again!!!

I find my Ban deodorant works on the smelly part but nothing I've found helps for the cold/hot and hot/cold issues. I utilize a 1/3 full storage baggie filled with ice directly on my head to help control the headaches at night and when driving, etc.

Is this usual? Any one else out there? Anything I can do?

Thanks,
Laura

djoakcreek replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Finally, things make sense. I spent hundreds of dollars going back and forth to the Dr. trying to find out what was going on. I would have uncontrollable excessive sweating episodes and would be weak and fatigue afterwards. Since they could not find anything medically wrong. I finally convinced myself that this must be all in my head. Now I see it's another symptom of FM.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.