Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Turned down for my scooter :'(
Foxgrove posted:
We had these great plans for taking a few days down at the lake.. In order for us to have been able to do anything, I really would have needed a scooter 'cause mine is kaput!!

So.. we called up our insurance company and got the information and were assured that this was only a formality and it wouldn't be a problem and blah blah..

So stupidly, we went ahead, got the letter from our doctor explaining why a scooter was necessary, got a hitch fitted to the van, got our rear springs redone for cargo, and located and ordered the appropriate scooter carrier for the van...

Yesterday, we called in to fins out the status of our pre-authorization to find out how much they would cover...

Apparently, even though my best distance for walking so far is a whole 200 feet with breaks in the middle, it isn't medically necessary!!

Well, I just lost it on them!! We demanded to know why we were rejected and the lady who couldn't even pronouce Fibromyalgia, passed me to a manager.. who coincidentally couldn't pronounce it either!!! NOW I was ticked!!! Jo ended up taking the rest of the call and arranging to get the exact reason it was denied from them within 24 hours OR ELSE!!! She then called doc's office and asked to be called as soon as possible.

This morning as I'm recouperating from the most painful MRI experience I can ever remember or imagine, I get the call from this pompous ass.. Apparently, because exercise is indicated for fibromyalgia, this would not be an appropriate medical device for me.

I guess I was too ticked to talk or to exhausted to argue.. I just took the information down and relayed it to Jo. So, no call back from our doctor in the past 24 hours and he's now closed for the weekend.. I think he's got shorttimers disease.. He's retiring in less than a week and he's anxious to get rid of his cases.. Funny but there's still people out there depending on him!!!!!!!

So... Jo assures me that she'll somehow make this all work out. She's bound and determined to make this work but I'm running out of fight for today. I know a scooter sounds so frivolous to most people but right now I am so stuck in this house..

I feel so totally useless to Jo and the kids and the only "getting out" I do is my 200' walk one way and back and the drive to the pool when I can. These people just don't understand or care to understand. I overuse the word but right now, I hate that company...

OK, Lord.. I don't understand why and I'm not too happy with the answer but OK. I hope that's a not yet and not a no but I'll accept that.. Sorry for getting so angry. Please show me how my life still has meaning.

Remember me in your thoughts and prayers. I don't like the feelings this stirs up in me. I am a man of peace but I feel so violent and angry. I just need hugs I guess.. time and hugs and prayers

Fox
FirstPrevious12NextLast

larmarus responded:
Fox-

So sorry you are having one of those days but so glad you have Jo to help you work it all out.

Yes, exercise is indicated for FM but overdoing it is not. Also, make sure they have all relative diagnosis, like high blood pressure or asthma, etc.

Unfortunately, the people making these decisions are not medically trained in most cases. I have had to deal with a few like that. One of the worse experiences I had was at LAX airport a number of years ago. I went through the security asking to be hand-scanned as I have an implanted medical device. I provided the card I carry in my wallet showing I have an implanted medical device. I have had the morphine pump for about ten years now. Because of the tilt of my stomach wall, the edge of the pump can be felt, but usually one can't feel anything. Unfortunately for me. I got someone who did not know what implanted meant and threatened to strip search me if I didn't show her the pump. It wasn't until the supervisor was involved that I was cleared after I allowed him to feel the pump and see it is implanted. I definitely was very angry on that day and TSA did nothing about the complaint except to say that the precautions are necessary. So is training.

I send you soft hugs my brother along with my thoughts and prayers. Lots and lots of hugs.......Marianne

Dollbug responded:
Hello Paul.....MiMi in NC....getting stressed about all of this is not good for the mind or the body.....I am so sorry that you have been put through all of this crap....

People do not have a clue....as you said they could not even pronounce the word....so I am quite sure they had no idea what FM is like either....I am sure there are a lot of "stupid" people out there....probably a lot more than we can even imagine....(I know that I have met up with a lot of them)

Prayers and thoughts are with you....I hope that somehow all of this works out for you...

Take care and good luck..

MiMi

fibroinsd responded:
sigh....(and banging my head on the wall)>....

what can I say?? ;( (sorry, I am emoticon challenged).

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Anjl26 responded:
Go right ahead and yell. Get a pillow and give it a few punches. Then do some deep breathing to try to settle your nerves.

Unfortunately, there's probably not much that can be done over the weekend. Start making calls on Monday morning. I hope it all works out for you.
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections. hugs Sharon

Socialwrkr responded:
Paul,

First and foremost, regardless of your ability to walk more than 200', you are incredibly valuable to your family, your friends, all of us and to God. Do not ever have doubt in this. I bet Jo would kick your whoha for even thinking that.

Now, a scooter is NOT frivolous, at all. Yes, exercise is wonderful, but we aren't normal and we can't do normal things. If you need a scooter, you deserve to have one.

I hate insurance companies too. They have way too much control over our health and wellbeing, without any of the knowledge or education they need to have such a responsibility. Never mind that they treat us like doodoo and don't put our best interests first.

I personally have no doubt that soon you'll be posting that Jo got this resolved and your new scooter will be ready soon. Seems to me that Jo loves you so much, she will take care of this, just like she promised.

I hope that the prayers you are getting are felt in your heart and you are able to have peace this weekend. Be good to yourself and look at your family and know they need you.

All my best
Be Gentle on Yourself!!! ~~Aimee

Foxgrove replied to Socialwrkr's response:
Blessings and hugs all round.. I am doing much better this evening. The dark thoughts and feelins have fled and I'm me again.. :) Thank you for your prayers and gentle thoughts.

I'm still not happy about the decision and I agree that it really is a medical necessity but I'm OK with the decision. No matter what, God WILL provide... and I too have a sneaky suspicion that come storms or high water, Jo will have a scooter ready for our trip SOMEHOW.. she tends to be very resourceful when she gets pushed.

Thank you for letting me melt in a puddle for a while. I just needed to be able to vent and have some good friends smack me on the back of the head. :D Thank you.. I feel much better now.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ BIG brother hugs }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

annette030 responded:
I have no idea if this is still true or not. An old patient of mine with MS, told me when I worked home health care that her insurance and Medicare would only pay for a scooter or motorized wheelchair if the patient required its use inside the house. She did, so she had got one, but she said she was refused at first, then her doctor re-wrote the letter and indicated she needed it to get around inside the house too. Then it was approved.

I think it is a good lesson for the next person, to not pay for changes to their vehicle until after they are approved for the scooter.

I hope your doctor can write the letter and get this approved for you.

Take care, Annette

debw216 responded:
Paul.... I am so sorry, that yet again, you have had another set back.

But if I could call on the memories of the rest of our FMily....I think I may have a solution for you.

There is a commercial about scooters....and they advertise that even if turned down by your insurance company, that they will still work with you and may even be able to get you a scooter for free!

Now here's where we need help....because I dont remember the name of the company! I literally have it on the tip of my tongue!

So, FMily members....do you know the commercial that I am talking about, and if so, do you remember the name???

I want to say "hover" something....but just can't remember...darn it!

Anyone else know?

Hope this helps!!
(soft hug to my new brother)
DebW

debw216 replied to debw216's response:
Ok Paul.... I just did some checking and the name is "The Scooter Store." Where I got hover...I really dont know! LOL...

Anyway, I just looked at their website, and they will do all of the work. They did say that you will need an "mobility evalution" from your Dr. It also mentioned something about needing help getting "around your home." They also said, that they will deal with the insurance company and also the Drs office. And they have about an 90% something success rate!

So, this may be an option for you.... Check out the website at The Scooter Store.com

Good Luck!!
(soft hug)
DebW

CORYSGIRL30 responded:
Paul~

Yikes I see it's been quite the ride since we last spoke. Posted, did coffee together with Jo, or anything!

Now. I'm going to say this, and hopefully get a grin out of you. It's summer. Your 4 kids are out of school. Have them get a wagon. The kind with the rail on the side. Then have them drill some higher rails to it. Oh, and a padded back part.

Stick a pillow on the bottom. Attach one of those chains or tow ropes to the handle. See where I'm going???? ;)

Now, as for West Hawk. If you're at the main beach area...they can send you down the main hill direct to the beach and KAPOW! Whoosh! You're in the water ready for your water exercises! How 'bout that?!?!?!? And just think. The fire rescue boats are like 500 yards away. You're safe!!!LOL Good grief I gotta see this in action. Could you believe?! Let me know when you're down there...The kids & I will come meet you at the lake!

Now I know whoever reading this who doesn't know me....thinks I'm completely fried....but everyone else knows that's just my wacko sense of humor!

LMBO!

TCL38 responded:
Brother Fox,

You are one amazing creature. Do you know that?

On the challenge spectrum you seem to float closer to the deep end than the shallow end but no matter the challenge you vent, breathe and then look for meaning/purpose/understanding. I am so impressed by that and I just wanted you to know I admire your pluck. You are an inspiration to me.

And I suspect once Jo's back gets arched about something she can be a force to be reckoned with. Blessings on those she'll deal with to make it happen.

And when it does, have a wonderful time with your family.

Tanya

Foxgrove responded:
You guys are such a hoot!!!!

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas.. After a large conflab, We have decised to go with Julie's low tech version but I have modified it a bit.. Being a guy I decided to strap a couple of rocket boosters to it just for fun.

Wadda ya think?? Masculine or just plain dumb?? I absolutely fell apart laughing when you said to use the main hill.. I can just see it.. 500 miles an hour, screaming sown the hill, hitting the sand and the wagon stops dead but I go skimming across the water and there's a big BOOM as I break the sound barrier!!! It sounds FABULOUS!!!.. well.. once anyways!!!

I checked into the scooter store option and unfortunately, it's only for folks in the USA.. BUT.. keep it in mind if you live there. It looks like a fabulous option.

As for a scooter in my house.. well.. Let's just say it would have to be both VERY small to manuver the floorplan and a 4x4 version to get through all the STUFF!!!

Jo.. well.. let's just say she is truly a force to be reckoned with. Makes her a fabulous mom and the kids don't get away with squat!!! I LOVE it!!! They really know what right and wrong are.. no grey areas there. ;) I love her deeply and truly. She makes my every day a little easier and a whole lot happier!!

As do you all.. blessings and BIG hugs to you all! It was very theraputic working my way through this.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ BIG BIG BIG brother hugs }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Fox

alispazz replied to Foxgrove's response:
Brother Paul....

I have had a good laugh at the antics that came up here....The vision was priceless..

How about renting a scooter for the trip..there are health supply stores that rent these things temp...with Dr script....

Tho I have to admit, I want to be on the beach when you come down the hill....ROFL....ready camera...action....duck..

Just another thought my mom had one of the scooters and it was recommended you not take them off roading...messes up the gears some way...why not just a regular chair????
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

Dollbug replied to alispazz's response:
LOL....LOL....LOL....LOL....

Well.....I could not help but laugh reading through these emails....and now I do feel better.....I need that....and I know no one really understands what I am saying....but I really needed this today....

Things have not been good for me....and perhaps, if I can....I will indeed share more with you guys.....it is not a good thing...family issues, of sorts....if that tells anyone anything...

I would be appreciative if prayers and thoughts are sent my way....

Thanks again...for the good laugh....

MiMi

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
363 of 390 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.