Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dr. P.
fibroinsd posted:
I am trying to get people to read this website, and wondered about your opinion.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/long-and-pathetic/

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Cece,

I hope you're having a good weekend so far. I looked at the website you mentioned. Whoever compiled the symtom list for hypothroidism appeared to be adding personal subjective symptoms. The list was described as an "ironic list" which, quite frankly, I have no idea what that means! Some of the "symptoms" listed are not medical textbook descriptions for hypothyroidism, for example "inability to hold children for very long."

Given the above, I would be cautious about considering this site to be medically "credible." I haven't been recommending this site for my patients and am not planning to add this site as a future resource for hypothyroidism.

Dr. P

Grampa_Bear responded:
Ooooo...Cece's gonna be mad at you!....you didn't do the link right :wink:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/long-and-pathetic/

:goofy:

Jim
I'm not antisocial, I just don't like people!

TCL38 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Thanks doc.

Cece, Doc. P said rather eloquently what I would have said could I come up with something other than "sounds like bunk to me."

I've been hypo for almost 17 years. And when I first came to WebMd tried out the thyroid boards and unfortunatly most of what I found from the posters there was "bunk." I didn't know how to break it to you. But the thought of using docs "smoking gun" discussion did cross my mind.

Hang in there Cece...I do agree that natural thyroid is better. I was taking Armour until about a year ago and I LOVED IT. However the company can't supply it so I switched back to synthetic. I know that for me to feel "normal" I need both hormones. A pharmacy here in town compounds it but it's $150/month for my strength and that's more than out of reach for me.

Tanya

fibroinsd responded:
LOL Jim......

fibroinsd responded:
Tanya..I think it interesting that you loved the natural thyroid. Sounds like it was working for you....too bad you cannot get on it...and yet like that website says...no problem getting people on anti-depressants...

ok...I will get off my high horse for awhile...I am not feeling well and I am going to go stretch out.

cece

fibroinsd responded:
Jim....I just realized ...I am the one that didn't link it...!! thanks for linking it !

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to fibroinsd's response:
Oh yeah thanks Jim....for making everyone think I didn't do the link right...and for making poor Cece have to fess up to save my "honor."

It was no problem the way you did it Cece! A simple "copy and paste" did the trick.

Thanks Cece! You can be my Knight in shining "Armour" anytime!!

Dr. P

fibroinsd replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Oh Dr. P....I think Jim has had a bad effect on you !

fibroinsd responded:
Dr. P. do you think the temp. gage that they talk about is relevant. I have not been feeling great this week, and I have been taking my temp as they state on this website...and I can't get mine anywhere up to normal. I think the highest I got was 97.6 !

cece

pocotaz replied to fibroinsd's response:
Cece,

That seems to be my normal... it could be yours to...

But i do think you should have yours rechecked..if you feel strongly that you need to understand the thyroid better...can you get referred to an Endocrinologist?

annette030 replied to fibroinsd's response:
I read a different website quite a few years back when everyone here was up in arms about hypothyroidism. It also depended quite a bit on taking ones temperature to make a diagnosis.

I took the printed out info to my internist and she called an endocrinologist who worked with thyroid patients right in front of me and shared the info with him. He told her it was nonsense. He didn't believe in any of it. He recommends taking ones blood and doing a T3, T4, and an ultrasensitive TSH, to make a diagnosis, and if that is well into the normal range forget about hypothyroidism, and look elsewhere for the treatment of the symptoms.

She checks my thyroid panel about every year or two. I am happy with that.

Take care, Annette

fibroinsd replied to annette030's response:
Annette, I want to thank you for your input. As a nurse, I am sure you understand all of this much better than I do. To me, it is frustrating, when I fit all the "symptoms" of thryoid problems, and then the doc says...no you don't have it, and isn't open to even looking at it. And then there are websites, that say, consider this or that...and doctors will say no, but not explain why.

Anyway, thanks again for your info.

cece

kate20770 replied to fibroinsd's response:
Cece

I just wanted to tell you that the first time I saw my Rhuemy he was engrossed with my super large and noticeable thyroid! He ran every test under the sun and nothing came up out of the ordinary! He is on a mission every time I see him to see if something else has changed. We think now that it's so large that it could be what's causing my swallowing problems! All I know is when they did the ultrasound on it, I got SO scared, they had all these drs come in and look at the screen and ask me all these questions, to then find out that none of them had ever seen one so large w/o something going on, so everyone that was there felt like they needed to see it! Who knows! Good luck to you, I don't understand why they can't check you for it, can you not go some where else for a 2nd opinion on that? Do you have a pcp and a rhuemy, or just one?

Kate

annette030 replied to fibroinsd's response:
You have to remember that anyone can write anything and make a website about it. It does not have to be medically valid. The symptoms of thyroid illness can be very vague and also be the symptoms of many other illnesses also. This is why the lab draws your blood and tests it, to prove it once and for all if there is any doubt. My doctor was willing to do the tests for me to ease my mind. She was right, they were negative for any thyroid problem.

I double check most info I find on line with reputable medical sites before I take it to my doctor. With this one, I just happened to come across it just before I was going to see her anyway, and so many people here were pushing this particular line of thinking.

You have to have a doctor that you trust. I do, I feel that she listens to me and has my best interests at heart. I really feel that in spite of negative experiences with some doctors, most doctors do have our best interests at heart.

Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 214 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.