Skip to content
Fibronomics Rule #3: Support Always Welcome
Mark Pellegrino, MD posted:
Fibronomics definition: the art of properly manipulating our fibromyalgia bodies in the environment to enable completion of an activity with minimal pain.

The 4 Rules of Fibronomics
1. Arms stay home
2. Unload the back
3. Support always welcome
4. Be naturally shifty

Thank you for your participation so far. It's time to bring on Rule #3: Support always welcome. This one is easy: whenever possible, take advantage of existing structures in our environment to relieve some of the force on our bodies.

Examples of common support structures:

Arms
  • Armrests
  • Rest arms on head, lap, or body
  • Cross arms
  • Hold one arm with other arm
  • Furniture (table, desk, counter-top)
  • Pockets, muffs, slings
Back
  • Chair
  • Wall
  • Foot stool
  • Brace, belt
Both arms and back
  • Stair rails
  • pillows, cushions
  • Adjustable car seat/armrests
  • Another person
And remember the best support of all, your FMily!

Let's hear some specific examples and tips that work for you.

Dr. P
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Dollbug responded:
Dr. P..... really good things.....I know since I have been sleeping in a recliner for several years now....and I have pillows and a lot of them....my neck, my arms...my back and my legs...ok....I really sleep on pillows while in the recliner....I think that is a better description....

Last night I laid down in the bed for an hour...and I could hardly move to get up...

So I can relate to all of these....

Thanks for sharing....

MiMi

alispazz responded:
Well Doc, I do not enter a store without a shopping cart, I can easily walk, and if I get tired I can rest for a minute leaning on the cart.

When I put my jeans on I stand with my back to the wall and lift one leg at a time....It takes less effort than sitting down and I don't lose my balance.

Ali
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to alispazz's response:
Ali,

You're right! I tried your 'back to the wall" tip to put on my dress socks (high calf-style) and it was much easier than sitting. I'm impressed that you taught me a new simple tip. Hear Hear board, we have a new Fibronomics Master!

Dr. P

Tany84 responded:
I prop up my pillows when I sleep and I put a buckwheat heat pack under my neck (even when I don't heat it up) because it supports my neck well. The pillow is long and narrow and the buckwheat is firm enough to provide support. I have arthritis in my neck so it's very hard for me to get comfortable and this is about the only way I can sleep.

Thanks Dr. P for all of the great info!

Brittany

Anjl26 replied to Tany84's response:
I too use pillows, lots and lots of pillows. And I do the same as Brittany in that I have a hot/cold wrap for my neck that I will sometimes use at room temp just for the support it gives.

If I'll be riding in the car long distance, I take a small pillow for lumbar support as well as a neck rest pillow.

The armrests on my desk chair are up so my arms are always supported while typing. I keep a foot rest under my desk too.
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections. hugs Sharon

MagPrincess replied to Tany84's response:
okay

I use a foot stool at my desk. It helps so much to keep your feet just a bit off the floor. I find i miss it at home as i only have one at work. it has a little wood slat that slides back and forth.

I also have a lumbar support on my chair as well.

Ali- i will have to try that wall thing.

MagPrincess replied to MagPrincess's response:
Ohhhh forgot my favorite thing.........it gets me lots of strange looks........

I use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut chicken ,steak, pizza. anything i would have to use a knife and fork for. I found my muscles tired out before my appetite when i used a fork and knife. Now i just cut it all up at once with scissors.

Foxgrove responded:
Good stuff.. I loved Ali's tip for putting on pants!! I almost fell over when me knee gave out but that's beside the point. ;)

I found that wearing what we used to call kangaroo shirts... hooded sweatshirts with a front pouch in cool weather had a double purpose.. they keep your head warm and give you a pouch to keep your hands in. It takes a little bit off the shoulder when you are standing still as well as warming up those chilled hands.. DON'T try it while you are walking or you'll end up with a dent in your nose like me..

MagPrincess replied to Foxgrove's response:
Thought of a few more

* have a note pad attached to my windsheild and pen to write down stuff when i think about it.

* have blind spot mirrors so i don't have to turn my head as much while driving

* Heated seats for the car. LOVE THESE!

* Cruise control. Use it all the time. one less muscle is being used.

* add any appt or things to remember in cell phone calander

Bedilya replied to MagPrincess's response:
If I find myself standing too long, in front of the sink rinsing dishes I lean forward and rest my forearms on the counter in front of the sink while I finish. The result: huge relief. Try it! This also works in other applications of having to stand in front of a counter, like for chopping or other prep work in the kitchen.

Booch007 responded:
Dr P,
When driving home from work I can get into trouble...I often lean back and rest the head to the head rest..and unload the neck. (It also stops poor posture and straightens me and my muscles out.)

I stand against the wall when stressing the patients, to take some burden off my back and lift a leg to the treadmill for the same reason too.

Pillows are our best friend, support under the arms on the couch is valuable.

Biggest joy is having personal and professional support. I have a great husband and he has turned my children around from picking on me. They know this is real and a horror to live with. I have a doctor who *gets it and does a great job fixing me. When I didn't have that validation, the effort for the day were so much more difficult.

I also wear support hose on my legs (knee highs) I have lace top thigh highs also*. There are days that that is what is holding me up (literally). The added support to those muscles makes the walking I do better for me.
So knee high support socks for the men would probably do the same. We do what ever works............Nancy B

Booch007 replied to MagPrincess's response:
Hey, DH got me a machete for a knife....HUGE. I have trouble with cabbage and some other things, the butcher cuts up the chicken for me.......But if you saw the knife you would say YIKES...but it is sharp and deadly for the cabbage, looks silly when i am cutting lemons (but who is looking)..hee hee Nan

alispazz replied to Booch007's response:
I have a set of sharp knives, but I received a mandolin for Christmas 2 years ago....great for cutting veggies and really makes fast easy work of it...if not food processor comes out...chicken salad in less that 5 minutes after cooking the chicken of course....LOL

I wear jeans most of the time and I buy the diabetic socks...not diabetic...because they don't squeeze the legs...and when I have to dress up...long basic black pants, and knee highs...

When I have to travel far...anything over 20 miles...I take along a pillow, and put it were ever it is un comfortable....

Ali
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

Asillia replied to MagPrincess's response:
I 'fell' into the wall thing about a yr ago- literaly!!! i was trying to put pants on and fell back against my bathroom wall- then thought- hey this is so much easier this way! wish i had though of it rather than fell it!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.