Skip to content
Period coming.Pain is OUT OF CONTROL.
An_198981 posted:
Good Morning all,

I was just wondering what some of you did about EXTRA pain treatment when your period comes. For me the pain gets really horrible and hurts everywhere worse than normal. Also, my cramps are worse than when I didn't have FMS. I just need some help or I am going to crazy!

Thanks,
H

pocotaz responded:
In answer to your question... yes.. i too am more uncomfrotable just before my period.... what i do is to take motrin or an anti inflamatory a week before my period starts...i keep track of when i am due on my calander... and start the motrin before...

Look at what foods you eat and the amount of sodium in them...you'd be surprised at how much they put in foods.. avoid processed food at all costs... and canned foods.... it helps to read all labels..it takes awhile but it will help..

I also use a heating pad or my hot water bottle where needed...to ease any cramping... get as much sleep as possible...if possible..i know we have sleep issue with FM...

Drink lots of water.. i know you might question that but the water flushes out any excess fluids from your body.. it is very important to stay hydrated...

So sorry your hurting.. my legs go nuts and my lower bac ...so i understand completely what you say...

Feel better and i hope this was helpful..

Hugs........Linda

Anjl26 responded:
If you are able to take Ibuprofen/Advil, this is what my GYN suggests... Take Advil 600mg every 6 hours around the clock, beginning a couple of days before your cycle and continuing until it is almost complete. The Advil actually decreases your flow, which decreases cramping.

A good heating pad is a must too. I actually will sandwich myself between 2 heating pads, one on my lower back the other over the pelvis.

Using a type of BC which decreases your flow or frequency of cycles may be helpful if you are interested in that. I had an IUD placed which has been great. It decreased my period symptoms by 90%.
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections. hugs Sharon

forgetful88 responded:
Okay,

Not the best idea, but the only things that helps me is taking Midol & Advil every two hours, I even take what our company office has in the medicine cabinet. So like I said not the best idea, but I only suffer with the pain for two days. I know it is way beyond (way beyond) than what is recommended, but it is the ony thing that helps me.

angelldakota responded:
hi Anon... I have multiple pain syndroms and have lived with pain for over 28 years... thought it was 30 but my daughter is only 28 and she was an infant when I was first paralysed...

I guess you might say I have tried almost every thing from the book... today I use hypnosis and meditation... alot more then I use to...

I am on ms contin for the structure pain and it doesn't work on fibro pain... I am also on percoset for breakthru pain... but I hardly take it... I settle for 5 to 6 level pain... better then 8 to 10 lol...

I would love to use bath crystals but due to some of my other problems I can't sit in the bathtub and sometimes settle for the aroma by soaking them in hot water... but I have only found the ones that make the shower slimy so I can't use them either.. I will put them in an old pan and bring it to a boil and have the house smell good... lol

Or I meditate with incence burning... I then take myself to my favorite place... a flowing hay field... a mountain top... a stream... my loves arms... and I come back relaxed and not concentrating on the pain... For me the secret is not to concentrate on the pain... I do sit in a wheelchair to sit or go out... I walk in the house cuz mostly my son has it set up to catch me lol... see I am a bonefide weeble and yes weebles wabble and they do fall down.. in my situation many times lol

in our tool box there are a lot of ideas as to how to deal with fibro... It is to the right of us... entitled "member toolbox"... I know you can find something to try and perhaps something to work... and there is a lot of good info there too...

hope you feel better soon... find a cocktail that works for you... and keep coming here... it is a great group here...

bless you... love jan/angelldakota

Tany84 responded:
First, I take a supplement called Omega Woman by Nordic Naturals. I take it all of the time to help regulate my hormones. When I was 18 I started getting horrible cramps. I didn't have FM then but the first day of it each month was terrible, I was totally useless. After about 2months on this, it improved so much. For the next few yrs. I barely had any problems with it, until the FM.
I also try to cut back on caffeine when it's coming up. Caffeine will contract your muscles causing you to cramp worse. I also try to get plenty of fluids.
I also take something called Multileve by Rainbow Light. think natural ibuprofen.
And finally, I just up my Tramadol a little bit.

Hope you feel better soon!

Brittany

HaileyO replied to angelldakota's response:
Thank you. Really. Thank you.

HaileyO replied to pocotaz's response:
Thank you so much. :) Really.

PoxyLady responded:

Severe menstrual cramps are NOT normal, whether you have FMS or not.

I have had FMS since 1993, which was triggered by a severe post-op infection following a hysterectomy for endometriosis.

Endometriosis can cause incapacitating menstrual cramps. The pain was unspeakable, and I felt very ill ALL the time. Like FMS, it has all sorts of other symptoms.

While your FMS may indeed feel worse around the time of your period, I can tell you, the pain is entirely different from that of endometriosis.

I know what it's like to feel so overwhelmed by FMS, that it seems it is the cause of everything, and I most certainly can understand why you'd feel like you're going to go nuts.

I greatly empathize with you, believe me.

If you aren't familiar with endometriosis, please read about it here:

http://women.webmd.com/endometriosis/facts-endometriosis

Do know that you are not alone! I send you much courage and strength.

akitamom96 responded:
Hi. I can really identify with your story! My fibro pain flares up EVERYWHERE starting about a week before my period is due. I also have fibrocystic breast condition - my breasts contain many cysts which become full of more fluid premenstrually. The pain from that alone can be unbearable and then you add in the crampy pelvic and back pain plus the fibro pain everywhere else that ramps up and you've got a recipe for OUT OF CONTROL! I try to remember to take ibuprofen around the clock as soon as I start feeling symptoms before my period. It's an antiinflammatory and decreases the fibrocystic breast pain as well as the cramps before and during your period - it even makes the flow lighter. I also use ice packs to the breasts for the pain. Sometimes I even use ice for my muscular pain elsewhere when it becomes burning in nature. I hope this helps some. If you have the breast cysts, you should totally avoid caffeine and take a vitamin E supplement. Hang in there and know that you're NOT alone in this.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.