Skip to content
Memory Foam or Down Alternative?
benright posted:
Hello!

I'm going to get myself a mattress topper for my birthday next month and wondered if anyone could offer suggestions on what kind works and feels best. I like the idea of memory foam (wish I could afford a whole mattress!), but I'm not sure how well a topper works. I know they come in different thicknesses. Do they just squish flat? The other idea is a down alternative. The fluffy, cushiness of it appeals to me, but does it really help? I would appreciate any input if anybody has one of these (or any other kind for that matter, too!). Don't want to waste my money if it doesn't help. Thanks!

B

pnaturegirl responded:
I bought myself a down topper and I like it a lot! :wink:
Check out my facebook page called, This Crazy Thing Called Pots My new Exchange on WebMd called, Pots and Dysautonomia Exchange and you can always find me here on FM Exchange or through my email!

An_198996 responded:
I totally did not like memory foam. I was unable to roll over, due to being in a hole! Most of my trouble and pain from trying to turn, however, came from my lumbar spine.

I purchased a high quality simmons mattress and love it!

Booch007 responded:
Good morning,
I am a memory foam person...following in Sharon's footsteps. One of the best tools I was given here.

I started with 3" and then on Overstock.com got a 6" that I use now. It is funny to *climb in to bed...but the cradle that I am in is just wonderful. To not toss and turn from pressure on the spots at night...SO WORTH either choice.

Maybe you could try a mattress store ans SEE which is better before oyu buy. There are those stores in our mall.....check it out.

I will NEVER remove my foam topper, I also have a mattress pad heater for the bed (only do my side) DH is a hot one !!Good Luck , Nancy B

BamaNik responded:
I have a memory foam topper and I love mine. Its a 2 inch topper that I placed under my mattress pad. For me, it really helps take the pressure off the tender points when I sleep. Its kinda like the bed is hugging you. It doesn't squish flat, just adjusts to your weight and then springs back when you get up.

Also, my boyfriend has a memory foam pillow and he loves it.
Life is not waiting for the storm to pass...its about learning how to dance in the rain..

Anjl26 responded:
Memory foam comes in different densities. The denser the foam, the less it squishes even though it still forms to your body.

I say get the thickest memory foam you can afford. I have 2, totalling 6 inches. You can also put a cheaper eggcrate topper underneath the foam (between the foam and the mattress) to help it feel thicker.

Overstock.com almost always has a good sale on them. Kohl's and Shopko often do too. Do not pay full price for one.
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections. hugs Sharon

WomanInBath responded:
Memory Foam!!!!
I found it was cheaper to buy 2-2 inch foam toppers than it was to buy the 4 inch topper.
I LOVE IT and would recommend that everyone get them.
I used to not be able to put my knee on the bed to make it because it hurt my knee too bad, now, it is no problem.
One of my favorite products that helped with my FM!!!!!!!!!!
Love to All, Meg

WomanInBath responded:
P.S.
One of those long body pillows helps me a lot too!!!
It keeps my ankles, knees, elbows and breasts from pressing on each other.
I used to wake up so many times per night because my knees hurt so bad from the weight of them pressing together.
Another one of my "cant live withouts!!!!!!!!!!"
LOVE, Meg

50FirstDates replied to WomanInBath's response:
Yes, yes, yes, to the body pillow. I just got one a week ago and said, "Why the heck didn't I get one of these 5 years ago!" The support helps my back muscles from stretching and pulling all night.

benright responded:
Ok, so I'm thinking a 4" foam (1 1/2" memory foam and 2 1/2" high density foam in one topper) with a microgel puffball fiber bed on top! Memory foam seems to be the most popular choice and I think the puffball sounds, well, puffy! It's cheaper than the 6" topper and sounds like the best of both worlds. I too am a body pillow lover. I have used one for years and can't sleep without it. I didn't realize that I could get an affordable memory foam body pillow though! As long as it's in my budget, I'm going to get a few different pillows to try also. I don't think you can really tell what is going to work until you sleep on it for awhile. Maybe I should go shopping someplace special for this, but what can I say, I love Wal-Mart and it's hard to beat online shopping! Thanks for the advice! :-D

B

benright responded:
Ok, I decided to get my present early. I mean, why wait? They sold out of the puffball (except in twin)! :-( sniff, sniff. I got something similar, but it doesn't look nearly as good. I'm going to keep an eye out for the puffball and get it if it comes back. I ordered today. I'll let you know if it's any good. Oh! I also ordered a couple of pillow to try too! :-)

B
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
374 of 401 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.