Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I am a newbie here
pat_johnson posted:
My name is Pat and I live in southern Indiana. I pretty much self diagnosed myself for fibromyalgia but the doctor did a lot of tests and finally came to that diagnosis herself. Actually she is a nurse practicioner. (please excuse my spelling) I have been diagnosed with fibro. for a couple of months now. I am currently taking Cymbalta 60 mg once a day for the pain but it is not helping much. I go back and see her the first part of August. I am so glad I found this board because at times I feel so alone with no one to talk to about my disease. Seems no one else understands.

Booch007 responded:
Good morning Pat, welcome and YOU ARE NOT ALONE...

There are so many of us with this dreaded disease. It is real, we fight it everyday....sword in hand and sense of humor in our pockets.

Please stay and use us for information, guidance, a shoulder, Dr.P and his great advice and also humor......

We are all on this road and I am so glad you found us, for years I had no one, well I had no diagnosis......it was very hard. When I finally met the neurologist who cares for me, it was so validating that someone finally knew what I had!

This diagnosis is becoming more prevalent, the physicians are becoming more knowledgeable and in hope that research is continuing to help figure this out.....we will get better.

And I say that to you too....this is the worst part (where you are now) the trial and error part. This med works and this one doesn't...this one really near killed me with side effects and this one I didn't see a change at all.

Most of us are on a cocktail of meds...muscle relaxants, pain modifier and an SSNRI. So far I see the SSNRI is there...so there is work still to do.

Move slowly, journal your days so you can see the change or help you remember the side effects you had.

There are some that take little and use non medical things to work well..I do 50/50.....to the left you will find *The toolbox, written by many and to share the things that worked for them. It is a testimony of our trial and error periods.

I wish you so much luck in this being a quick passage. You already have a head start...your PMD diagnosed you and you have a fit in the relationship.

BIG...did I say BIG.

There are times when you see a new attending and they have trouble with *believing or trusting you are not out for the meds. I ask you to write down all you do to feel better...all the non-medical things. Even the Motrin you may take.

The heat, stretching, posturing anything you use to keep your body moving.

OK, enough on the soap box...welcome and please stay and post and be part of the Fmily. Take care, Nancy B

pocotaz responded:
Welcome to our FMily,

Glad you found us..this site will help you a great deal in learning what to try...I don't need to go into alot as Nancy said it all in a nut shell...

Trial and error will need to be done to find what will help you..we are all different in how we react to meds given... but being here we are all the same..

We are here tro reach out and support each other..the common denominator....so stay and post and ask questions... we will all try to help any way we can...

Dr. P is marvelous... so much needed for this FMily and he has FM as wel so he will understand what you ask and do his best to answer those medical questions...

Read the TIPS and RESOURCES sections ...

Welcome..Hugs....

Linda

Dollbug responded:
Hello Pat....and welcome......MiMi in NC....you are not alone....let me assure you of this....sorry that you have met the wrath of the dragon, aka FM....but I am glad that you found this unique support group....we have a variety of people here and Dr. P.....who also understands and feels our pain....as he, too has FM....he is a wonderful asset of our FMily....and you can ask him questions by putting his name in the subject line of the post....so Caprice, our moderator, will pick it up for him....

Getting someone to understand us and know how we feel is such a blessing within itself....so I am glad that you have someone that will assist you on the journey of FM....not an easy one though....

I met the dragon back in 2005....and it has been hanging on since....some days are worse than others....I tried different medicines and was not able to find anything that really helped me without a lot of side effects.....I have now figured out how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements....

I would encourage you to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....if you have not already done so....this is so very important for a lot of us....Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some of us....and as I am sure you already know....we do not need any more pain to deal with....this is a simple blood test...but you MUST ASK that the test be done....it is not one of the "standard blood tests" that is done on people (yet)....I do hope that soon this will be a part of the bloodwork for doctors to include and rule out.....as it is so very important for a lot of people....not only those with FM...

I also urge you to review the info under Tips and Resources to the right of this page..especially see member toolbox and nutrition and vitamins.....there you will find "tools and tips" that perhaps you have not thought of....which may or may not help you....we are all different and what helps one may or may not help someone else....it is a trial and error process....with anything that you try....and it does take time and effort to know for sure if something is truly helping you....no overnight or quick fixes here....allow at least 6 - 8 weeks before you decide.....(unless of course, it is making you sicker)....

Here is hoping that soon you will indeed feel better.....I hope you will post often, ask questions, learn all you can about how to cope.....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi

Anjl26 responded:
Welcome Pat! You've found a whole lot of people who understand. Check out the Member Toolbox under Tips and Resources for many suggestions of ways to manage symptoms.
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections. hugs Sharon

fibroinsd responded:
Welcome Pat.

I was on Cymbalta and for the most part I loved it...I decided to take a break from it now to see how I could do...but I do want to say this...give it some time to work...as long as you are not having any bad side effects. If you have any bad side effects...call your doc right away...otherwise...give it a chance to work.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

pat_johnson replied to fibroinsd's response:
Thanks for the very warm welcome and for all the advice. I also have low thyroid so she is getting my medicine regulated for that. I am going to take your suggestion about the blood test for Vitamin D level when I go see her in August

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.