I just saw the post where you asked about my TSH

TSH in 2008(march)= 2.027
2008 (july) = 1.5
2009 = 1.9
2010= 3.0

CRP 2009= 2.7
2010= 5.1

T3 in 2009=99 and Thyroxine , Free= .92
According to the records they send to me, this is all in the "normal" range.

It seems like no matter what I do, eating or exercising, or meds..my weight just continues to rise. I can diet and exercise until I am blue in the face...and I will add a few pounds. I have lost weight at times...where I am on a VERY STRICT diet...and then...while still on the same diet...the next month I start gaining again...and then I will be more than I started with....So, yea...the whole diet thing is hard for me to even look at now..I try to eat healthy...low fats...lots of fruits and veggies...but man does not live by veggies alone !!!

Thanks ahead of time for any of your input.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

pocotaz responded:
Cece... to my knowledge the TSH levels should be between 3.0 and 12...

They most likely didn't do anything this time because 3.0 to them is normal...and it is... but the low normal..

I really wish you would go to see an endocrinologist and get better information about how the thyroid really works... this is bugging the crap out of me...

Some people are effected if there levels are close to either the 3.0 or the 12... and may need treatment...

AAARRRGGG ... i get so upset about this whole thing...

I wish they would listen to you....so many suffer because it is so misunderstood.......

Hugs Cece...and i wish you luck with this...

Linda

fibroinsd responded:
Bugs the crap out of me too !!! According to the paper I have it says that normal is .3 to 3.8 so I am still in the middle...

cece

Fibrosarah replied to fibroinsd's response:
cece, have you seen Womans World magazine this month? The cover shows Dr. Oz, and quite a bit about Thyroid info in it. I read it, but already passed the mag on to a friend.

Fibrosarah responded:
BTW, the magazine talks about all the TSH, t3's, etc. I kind of forgot whatit said, went in depth though.

fibroinsd responded:
Thanks for the info..
cece

annette030 responded:
Lab results by themselves are not of much use, in my humble opinion. I think one must relate them to the patient in addition to an excellent medical history and a complete physical exam.

According to my lab manual, (about ten years old) your TSH is well within the normal range at 3. My book gives 0.5 to 5.0 being the normal range. However, different labs measure some things differently, the normal range should be right on the lab slip, with any highs or lows being flagged for the doctor. I would glance there first, and check to see if any of the labs are outside the range.

Then you have to consider how far outside the range they might be. In some patients it is fine for certain labs to be outside the normal range due to meds, or whatever else the doctor discovers during that medical history I mentioned. Most labs can be a bit outside the normal range and not be a problem, a few are very touchy if they are even a little bit off kilter.

I have found mostly that doctors pretty much guess what the labs will show when they do the history and physical. Ordering them just confirms what they suspect. Occasionally, they really have no idea and the labs give them a complete surprise.

As far as dieting, I would ask your doctor to refer you to a really good registered dietitian in independent practice if possible. I found one to be very useful. She explained portions to me, and trust me they are much smaller than I suspected, lol. She was really good at teaching the nuts and bolts of proper eating. I had been a nurse for over 20 years when I went to see her, and I learned plenty from her. I knew about diabetic diets, but not about the best eating habits for the rest of us. We are not taught a lot about nutrition in nursing school, or medical school I suspect.

I do believe that for most people it is a matter of calories in and calories out. If you take in more than you burn, you gain weight. If you burn more than you take in, you lose weight.

Occasionally some meds may affect how hungry we get or give us cravings for certain kinds of food, but I believe they rarely make us fat on their own. Steroids are one excpetion, it may be almost impossible to lose weight while on steroids.

I wish I had a magic answer, but I don't.

Take care, Annette

MarySings replied to annette030's response:
My rheu doc told me that the higher the TSH number, the less hormones you have in your system. Over the past year, my TSH has been increasing slowly. My last blood work showed that my TSH is more than 6, so I am now on a low dose of hormones.

I hope this has been helpful.

Booch007 responded:
Not a pro on anything...just want to chime in here...

TSH is the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone(from your head)....so if you need *more thyroid because your body is getting low (the thyroid is not making enough..) Your body will increase it's TSH..

A High TSH (borderline) says something is going wrong, causing you to push the thyroid to make more hormone so the total thyroid level still may be OK..and you are fine. They watch it a bit...investigate what is up with the thyroid gland. (studies)

Normal hormone level though with normal T3-T4 is a good thing...some doctors though are listening to the patient and adding a low dose of synthroid anyway. I am not so sure it is wise...BUT I am not in the endocrine field.

OK, just wanted to speak out.............Hugs, Nancy B

fibroinsd responded:
Again...especially Nancy and Annette...I so appreciate your educated responses...yea..everything is in the normal range...so I guess I have to get out of this thyroid thing...drop it...and see what else I can do...

Hopefully something will work out ok...cece

pocotaz responded:
O.K. Ladies...

My recent thyroid level was 9. something.... now that's high...so that makes my thyroid underactive agian..

The reason it got this high was because the last episode of severe fatigue ..they ran blood work admy thyroid level was .34...

They imediately called me and lowered my Synthroid from 50 mcg.... to 25 mcg...that's why my TSH level went to 9. something...i think they said 9.4

This is how my body has been for years...I have a multinodule goiter and they won't touch me yet.... just keep messin with my meds....

Linda

fibroinsd replied to pocotaz's response:
Wow Linda...that sounds like you have been through the ringer...can't imagine being that high...

annette030 replied to fibroinsd's response:
Hi, Cece

One thing I forgot to write in my post was that there are many things that can alter various lab results also. Some foods, medications, or illnesses can cause the lab results to go up or down. The doctor may already know why someone's numbers may be off and may not be concerned about it.

I agree with you, at this point, I would move on to something else now. It sounds like your thyroid tests are okay now.

Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.