Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mono and Fibro...
BamaNik posted:
There have been some talk here lately about a connection between FM and mono..so.....

How many of you had mono in the past?

I was 15 when I came down with a very bad case of it. I also had tonsillitis at the same time, so needless to say I was very sick for a while...

I curious to see how many of us did have mono...

Nicole
Life is not waiting for the storm to pass...its about learning how to dance in the rain..

tammyfay40 responded:
what r the symptoms of mono?

Socialwrkr responded:
I had it 5 or 6 times...of course, if someone sneezes a block away, I get pneumonia, so not a surprise I'd get the kissing disease...

Personally my thoughts on it is that we tend to have a somewhat lowered resistance. Which makes all of these things gravitate to us.

Take care
Be Gentle on Yourself!!! ~~Aimee http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fibromyalgia-Support-Groups-by-Aimee http://www.lumigrate.com/ Fibromyalgia forum writer, Aimee Shannon

pnaturegirl responded:
No mono but in late 2008 a awful respitory infection that went into 2009 and awful trouble getting rid of .

As Aimee said, Fm makes everything last longer and easier to get and harder to get rid of too! LOL...
Check out my facebook page called, This Crazy Thing Called Pots My new Exchange on WebMd called, Pots and Dysautonomia Exchange and you can always find me here on FM Exchange or through my email!

3teenboys2yorkiesmom responded:
I had tonsilitis followed by a BAD case of mono. Black out spells, high fever etc.
This was at age 19. Never felt GOOD after that.

fibroKimber responded:
i had what my doctor called a "mono-like" illness. It was a virus that mimicked mono in every way and i had every symptom of mono... but i tested negative for mono. so, it was basically the same thing.

thanks for posting this question, ive been reading increasingly more often about a link between mono and fibro. im curious what the responses will show...

kimber

fibroKimber replied to tammyfay40's response:
tammy,

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/infectious-mononucleosis-topic-overview

kimber

tammyfay40 replied to fibroKimber's response:
I probably had this before but not sure cause I always get sore throats, fatigue

fibroKimber replied to fibroKimber's response:
i probably was positive for cytomegalovirus and negative for ebstein-barr virus. epstein-barr causes mono, and the link seems to be to epstein-barr in general, not specifically mono. studies have shown that EBV is linked to MS, and now ive been reading that there may be a link between EBV and fibromyalgia as well.

oh, interesting. i just read this too:
Epstein-Barr virus[a name=ste122094-sec> The Epstein-Barr virus infects almost everyone by the age of 40 and usually does not cause any illness. However, it can cause mononucleosis (mono) and is associated with some types of cancer, such as Burkitt's lymphoma and cancers of the mouth.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
No mono for me. :-) Plenty of other things, but not mono.
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you'll help them to become what they are capable of becoming. ~Goethe

annette030 responded:
Almost everyone in the US has had mono at some point in their lives. The military did a study once and found that 95% of the new recruits had positive blood tests showing they had had mono in the past. Not all of them remembered having it. The doctors said that folks can get it but never be diagnosed as they don't have severe enough cases.

I don't know of any connection between the two illnesses.

Take care, Annette

BEACHAHOLIC responded:
Hi Everyone,
It seems the Mono virus can cause many things....My son whom is a successful 10yo with Autism, also has a rare whacky thing called ALICE IN WONDERLAND SYNDROME...It is a syndrome that may or may not present with a migraine...It may present with what is called an abdominal migraine..where lil'ones may be double over with intense belly pain...and as if that wasn't enough, then comes a morphing(like the book/movie)where all of the senses change ie: all sounds present as if everything is on fast forward...viually everything is whacked he would see our dog very tiny or with 2 heads...no joke...his sense of touch would make my nose feel like cement....we were told that it was like a type of temporal lobe epilepsy.....he would scream he felt like he was having nightmares while he was awake.....Thank God for a great Pediatrician(I guess few things mimic these signs and symptoms!!!!!
That was 2 years ago, now the attacks are seldom...the lights on some of the Wii games would trigger it....but we are past that now It was a great deal for a lil' 8 yo to deal with...

Viruses are surely linked to the start of many things...

Gentle hugs,
Annmarie/NJ :)

Daffyd3031 responded:
Hi Nicole,

I am in the never had mono group.

Hugs,

Patti

BamaNik replied to BEACHAHOLIC's response:
Ive heard of that! I read an article talking about it. People were saying that they grew up thinking they were crazy, and that nobody believed them. They were just fining out as adults was the crazy visions were as kids....it would be so scary to see things that weren't there, or altered, and have nobody believe you.
Such and odd condition.....the brain is so complex....
Life is not waiting for the storm to pass...its about learning how to dance in the rain..

CelineOC replied to BamaNik's response:
My probs. also started with Mono! I was still testing positive
for the mono spot test a year after the original diagnosis.
It was gastly, blackout's fever and muscle pain!

I never really got better even though the blood test no longer
tested positive. At least i was 40 when I got sick and had
lead a busy and exciting life up to then.

This support group is a wonderful outlet. Thank you....

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.