Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Non-narcotic pain meds, suggestions?
zoesmommy1024 posted:
Hey everyone, I'm new to this whole fibro thing, and what fun I am having I have been in constant pain for the past few years and just recently got diagnosed. My pain is basically 24/7 and gets worse at nighttime. I have tried cymbalta, which I was already on before, and did not see any results. I take a whole slew of other meds and it started interacting with some of them so my doc decided to cut it back. I have a unique situation with regards to pain medication since I am a recovering addict and that pretty much takes away a whole bunch of meds. I am not really sure where to go from here since it seems like my doctor is waiting for my word on whether or not I want to try a different med. I was wondering what experiences anyone has had with lyrica because I'm thinking about trying that or if anyone knows about any other non-narcotic pain meds? I have recently started taking vitamin D because my level was seriously low, I'm hoping that will help some because I can't see myself being able to take this pain much longer. I take a bunch of other meds for the other problems associated with fibro so the pain is really my main focus right now. I have also been using things like meditation and heat therapy to treat my pain and I am on a regular exercise schedule but it seems like nothing is really helping. Any suggestions would be great!

BamaNik responded:
I take tramadol, its a non narcotic pain med that several of us use. It really works well for me. It gives me a little boost of energy after I take a second dose. The only downside, for me anyway, is that I cant take it past 5pm or so or it keeps me up. I think Im just sensitive to the serotonin boost it gives me.

Nicole
Life is not waiting for the storm to pass...its about learning how to dance in the rain..

cali824 responded:
first i want to congratulate u for the change in your life. i know a lot of "strong"people that cant kick it.. so good for you

second i think the ultram or tramadol would be ok for you it takes the pain away or semi-away but doesnt give you the "feeling" that narcs would

i wish you the best of luck and less pain throughout your days and nights

and if you ever need to personally im a good listener
goodnight
xoxo -Cali

Anjl26 responded:
My first thought was tramadol too. It does have a mild seratonin affect though, so must be taken with caution at first if you are taking an antidepressant.

Lyrica/Neurontin/Gabapentin are all helpful for some. Gaba is the generic of Neurotin, which is an earlier version of Lyrica. So, for cost savings, ask about Gabapentin if you want to try this route.

Savella is another approved drug for FM. It's another type of antidepressant, yet not used to specifically treat depression, just FM.

Vit D is a must of course. Calcium, magnesium/malate, and B complex are also very important. Mag/malate has a muscle relaxant affect and I think it rates second to D on the importance scale.
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections. hugs Sharon

zoesmommy1024 responded:
Thanks for the help guys! I've heard about tramadol, but stupidly I always thought it was a narcotic I'll have to ask my doc about that one. The reason I had to cut back on the cymbalta was because it interacted with other meds I was taking and I developed serotonin syndrome- which is still bothering me quite a bit So I'm hoping that I will even be able to try something like tramadol. The lyrica/neurontin might be my only available route. Ahh stressful..but anyways thanks for the info I appreciate it!

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome......MiMi in NC....I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements.....but as with everything else....this too takes time and effort....you have to allow at least 6-8 weeks for something to get into your system enough so that you can truly "feel" a difference....if you are going to...

It does take time also for the Vitamin D to work....but try not to judge this until it has been a while....I took the Vitamin D several years and my level increased very little....the last time I had it checked I was still on the very low end of what is considered "normal range"....and I think that this is not a "good range" for everyone....anyway....since my last test....I put myself on a higher dose of D....after researching a lot about it myself....my level was very low also...when I started and I read somewhere that a person needs to be on the prescription dosage until the level gets back to the "normal range"....but I also think doctors are not comfortable with having patients on the 50,000 iu for a long period of time...

Anyway....I will be having another doctor's appt in August and I am anxious to see what my levels are going to be....I have also had a bone density test....so I will see....if taking the D has also helped this...

Low Vitamin D does cause additional pain for a lot of us FMers....so I am sure that soon you will be able to tell a difference....

I take magnesium and malate combination supplement (found at vitamin store) Omegas, (Fish Oil, Salmon and Krill are the ones I take) Super B Complex, Calcium and Vitamin D....plus others....as I have multiple health issues...again....what helps one may or may not help another...

I hope you will review the info under Tips and Resources to the right of this page....there you will find some good "tools and tips" to try....that might help you cope better....especially see member toolbox and nutrition and vitamins....

One more little favor...when you post again....please make paragraphs...as some of us have problems with our eyes are it is hard for us to keep our place while trying to read when the posts are so very long.....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

cali824 replied to zoesmommy1024's response:
zoes mom
im on gabapentin and i feel no change but its different 4 everyone..ask ur doc cuz some places concider tramadol a narc. but truly i believe as a person whos tried a lota stuff(nothing too hard but ive had my share) when i was younger tramadol is not but it does take the pain somewhat away with no "high" i hope i help and u dont hurt too much
xoxo -Cali

bcbailey1977 replied to cali824's response:
With Zoesmommy being a recovering addict, tramadol is a non narcotic version of Morphine. They do make a couple drugs in the class of percocet, morphine etc that have a drug that inhibits the body from becoming addicted. I can't think of the name off the top of my head now. You might want to chat with your doctor about it. They also have discount cards for people with or without insurance that takes some money off the cost.

that's the pharmacy tech in me. and everyone watch their livers if you take any form of pain meds with apap (tylenol) in it. no more than 4000mg per 24 hrs is all a healthy liver can detoxify in a 24 hour period. If you find yourself on those and don't want the tylenol they do make pain meds without tylenol, ibuprofen, or aspirin, but highly controlled.

bcbailey1977 replied to bcbailey1977's response:
Tramadol (ultram) can cause seratonin syndrome. If you do take it, I think it's no more than 8 per day. Even at that, you run the risk of seratonin syndrome if you have had it already once.

BamaNik replied to bcbailey1977's response:
Good point!
whats so sad is that so many people dont know about the dangers of apap! It can be more dangerous than the narcotic...

Whats funny is that years ago the FDA required that apap be combined with hydrocodone to help prevent overdose.....didnt work like they wanted...
Life is not waiting for the storm to pass...its about learning how to dance in the rain..

bcbailey1977 replied to BamaNik's response:
The amount of tylenol (apap) is the big number usually between 325-660mg per tablet. If you take more tylenol you need to kinda add up everything. I made a discussion if anyone has questions or anything like that about drugs, help paying etc.

cattlebarroness09 responded:
Hi and welcome. I am a recovering alcoholic so I understand your dilemma and I applaud you for watching what you take.

I am one of the few here that takes only vitamins and supplements for my fibro and l function pretty well.

Like others have said it takes time to find the right combo of meds or vitamins to find what works for you so please have some patience. Pacing ourselves is a biggie, it is something we have to learn but it is worth the effort.

Hang in there and ask any questions you have, we are here for each other.

Shar in Tx.

Rebecca5280 replied to cattlebarroness09's response:
ZoesMommy, congratulations on turning your life around and kudos for being so choice-conscious now.

I have struggled with fibro and lupus and a couple of other auto-immune issues for about 15 years now. I take plaquenil for the lupus and a variety of supplements for the fibro and other issues -- fish oil, magnesium and magnesium malate, D, E, B Complex. Tumeric is a big one for me as far as pain management. I've been able to stop narcotic painkillers by taking about 1500 mg of Tumeric morning and night. I'm never without it. I've also tried numerous antidepressants and had bad results from Lyrica and Savella, but now I'm on Pristiq and it has dramatically helped both my depression and my pain. I think I have finally found the combo that works for me. With the pain reduction, I've been able to add some exercise and stretching, and that helps as well. And don't neglect both sleep and REST. They are not the same, and they make such a huge difference.

All the best to you!

Rebecca

birdmom4 responded:
Welcome zoesmommy1024! I also use tramadol (Ultram) and have had good results with it for 8 years. I take 100 mg 3 times a day. Also, maybe a gentle massage, acupressure, or acupuncture would be helpful. I have tried all 3. Acupuncture gave me pain relief for only about 2 months, and then no pain relief after that so I don't do it any more. I have a gentle chair massage with a trusted and understanding massage therapist every couple of weeks - she works on my back/neck/shoulders, and I use a TheraCane (acupressure) at home to "massage" the knots and tender spots that I can't reach with my hands in between chair massages. Sometimes a hot shower feels good, and sometimes an ice pack feels good. I also use tennis balls in a tube sock to self-massage "knots" in my back. I try to keep several non-narcotic things in my pain "arsenal", but I do take Flexeril if all else fails.

sunnyd32 replied to cattlebarroness09's response:
my docs in NC consider tramadol a narcotic. ridiculous. ultracet (tramadol w/apap) made me sweat profusely and have hot flashes. Ryzolt (200 mg extended release tramadol hcl) made me itch like crazy. The 50mg of tramdol every 6 hrs however, doesn't. My pcp put me on Pristiq back at the end of April for my fibromyalgia to wean me off of Vicodin and Tramadol. I've had a flare up since July 15th and my doctor being out of town had me in urgent care three times since then which has led to the ultracet and Ryzolt reactions. Last week the urgent care put me on Savella and I noticed a little nausea on the lower dose, as you gradually increase to a higher dose of 50mg/2x a day. Well, on the 25, I was a little more nausous even with food. When we hit the 50mg yesterday I have hit full scale vomitting within an hour of the medication with and without food. I have worked 5 hours in a 3 week time period due to the pain from the fibromyalgia and the side effects reactions to the medications. I'm at my wits end,and am about to lose it from this disease and medications so I wish you luck finding a medication that will work for you.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.