Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Fibromyalgia and Adrenal Insufficiency and Interstitial Cystitis
cheechee06 posted:
This is my first time posting. I pray this reaches Dr.P. and the Fibro community. What a last 2 weeks this has been! Have you come across many fibro people with adrenal insufficiency? I suffer with this along with interstitial cystitis. My other question is can fever disrupt fibromyalgia also? The last 2 weeks I had a fever due to upper respiratory infection. The fever had my muscles aching. Heat helps me, but maybe the infection did not like my muscles nor nervous system? Can you assist in these questions?

Take the Poll

Has anyone here had any type of surgery in the past 6 mths. and it made the fibro. flare?
  • Yes, pain cause flares
  • No, not really
vote
View Poll Results

Anjl26 responded:
Not the doc, but I can tell you that any type of illness can cause a flare in FM symptoms. So having a fever and URI would definately be a culprit for your increased muscle pain.
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections. hugs Sharon

MagPrincess replied to Anjl26's response:
Little things like this can cause FM to flare.
Erin Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain. William Faulkner

Dollbug responded:
Hello cheechee and welcome.....MiMi in NC.....I am not a doctor either.....and I have not had any surgery in the past 6 months....(thank you GOD).....but I have had my share of all sorts of surgery since 2004....and yes....anything might cause the wrath of the dragon, aka FM, to wrap itself around us tight....after each surgery I had problems and recovery took much longer than it did before I met the dragon....I do not think that there is anything that a person can do to stop this vicious cycle that we are faced with....but if you do find something....please share it with all of us FMers...

There is actually no rhyme or reason to anything as to when the dragon rears its ugly head at me.....I just try to stay within my own limits on things that I do....sometimes it works...and sometimes it doesn't.....there are times when I overdo...and I know this and I am going to pay and pay dearly for it....as example of this is cooking....it I decide that I am going to cook a big meal....(and with 3 grown children, 2 married with mates and 3 grandchildren....plus me and my hubby)...it takes a lot....or it there is a special occasion that I am fixing for....then yes...I can cause myself extra pain.....there is a very fine line here though...and sometimes...it is really hard to know how close I have gotten to it....

Everything is a process.....I have learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements....but it took me a long time to figure out just what my body needs....

I would like to also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which is so very important for a lot of us....a simple blood test...but you MUST ASK the doctor to run it....

Take care and good luck....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
You got some great answers from the members! Fibro is easily flared by other stresses to the body such as fever, infections, hormone imbalances. Fibro is known to affect the adrenal glands. It causes more of an adrenal dysfunction where too much or too little stress hormones (such as cortisol) are released during stress to the body instead of the "normal" amounts in those without FM. Adrenal insufficiency has other causes and your doctor can review any questions or concerns regarding your adrenal glands.

Hope you got helpful info here. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions we can help you with.

Dr. P

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.