Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Wanting a tattoo for FM.....?????
Booch007 posted:

I am under a rock, in pain and losing my patience......
I actually said last night, maybe it is meningitis!!!! My head is like glass and mobility low..I am so over the line. I have had this before, just hurts..meds not helping...time...and rest.I have neither......summer shortage of workers I am working 5 days this week (after shots) that will cancel them out...BUT I will go.

I had an idea for a tattoo of a dragon ( small and purple) just about an inch on the LEFT shoulder....(sinister side)(devils side)....and a lavender ribbon around his ugly neck ! I thought of this yesterday when he had me in his mouth and WAS NOT going to drop me.

We use this analogy so much..I think it would be useful...for me to know he is always there...even if the day goes well....to keep me in check. Those that see it, won't know it's significance...but if they have FM...they will know*

What do you think.....and inch of space for the right looking dragon....I was going to do some research. (I know I am old...and I am a nurse...and I have grandchildren....) But this is a personal thing.....It is an acceptance for me that HE is always going to be WITH me...80 y/o...he will be there. This disease of my body is going no where..it is too chemically complicated.

What are your thoughts????

I put this with Mimi's morning spot and then realized...a poll would be good for the question. Thanks for the plus and minus....Nancy B

Take the Poll

If I should mark myself for life with the dragon we fight eachday....in purple and with a lavender ribbon around his neck (choking him would be good) He is with me forever til death...a sign of acceptance for me. A sign to those who know that I have this too.........???
  • Get it done...Left shoulder
  • Don't get it done...you are too old.
  • Don't get it done...you don't need to be reminded.
  • Put it in a place no one else can see.....
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Dollbug responded:
Nana B....Nana B.....Nana B......what are you thinking this morning?

MiMi in NC.....OMG.....I can not BELIEVE this....I voted....and I am the first.....and I VOTED NO....NO....NO....

I once told my children.....when they were little....do NOT do anything to your body that you might regret.....my older son once told me that he thought he would get a ring....for his NOSE....I told him....when you DO....just remember it needs to be BIG enough for me to PULL you around by it....NO JOKE....

Well....none of my children.....that I know of....have anything of the sort....

Nana B....why on earth would you want ANYTHING to REMIND you of the wrath of the dragon.....each and every day?

OK....I guess you get my drift.....

I hope you will think about this for a long, long time....before you do something that you just might regret....

Remember....Nana B.....you are a NURSE...and you are an example for a lot of people.....each and every day.....

OK....I guess I have voiced my opinion on this subject....
think about Olivia Rose.....what in the world would she think?

Gentle hugs to you....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

alispazz responded:
Nancy,

I think it is your choice, but I also voted no, I have a semi-spiritual reason. But quite frankly I just don't like tattoo's, use to date a guy who did them, and he was forever wanting to put something small and discrete on my body.

I never could.

I think it is a beautiful thought though, why not have it embroidered on some tops or something.

I am so sorry he has his grip on you right now, and yes we know he will again in the future, but hang in there and hopefully this to shall pass.

Soft Hugs

Ali
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

Dollbug responded:
Nana B.....how about turning your idea into something else....perhaps a pin that people can wear on those days when they do not feel feel....or something else....that can be worn or not.....

I see the dragon with red eyes and spitting fire out of the mouth...with the tail so wide.....a fierce looking creature...not something that anyone might want to wear all the time...

Ok...

Take care...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

chipperdoodle responded:
Hi Nancy, I hope you don't mind me putting my two cents in or calling you by your first name. Anyway, I voted for you to get it done. I do not have any tats myself, but I know several people who do. I get that you want it not because you need to be reminded, but, possibly you need others to see your pain. Just remember, if you do get it, especially where it's visible, that people might ask you about it. Do you really feel like explaining FM to others who don't have it? Just something to think about. Hope you make the right decision for you.

Becky

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Nana,

I think getting a tattoo is a very personal decision and not a "spontaneous" one. Many of my patients have gotten tattoos over the course of their lives and illnesses. The patients always have a special, treasured story and meaning for each tattoo if they really thought about it and considered it for a while. I appreciate hearing the story behind the tattoo. But I've seen a fair number of regrets, especially the exes: ex-girlfirend's name on the guy's chest, ex-wife's name on the guy's arm!

I confess I checked "get it done" on the poll upon first glance earlier. But that was before before I even read your post and before I was fully awake and aware of what I was doing! Yes I have a carefree streak to me sometimes. My non-expert thoughts now, and speaking as a FMily-member: only you can decide. Think more on it.

Dr. P

fibroinsd responded:
I didn't vote...couldn't decide...

On the one hand...I would say..do it...It could be fun. I, like Mimi, kept telling my kids not to get tatoos...My oldest doesn't have them. My second got one that represents how he got clean and sober, and it is on the back of his neck. My daughter has them all over...she never has listened to me...sigh...

I tried a "tatoo" sticker the other day...It was at a little lunch party for a friend. I don't know if it was the material the sticker was made of or what...made my arm hurt...I think only fibro people could understand this...I couldn't wait to get it off...so glad it wasn't permanent...

So basically...if you want to...do it...I still have days I want something...and days I don't.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

purpleducky responded:
I say only do it if you are serious about it. I have 3 tattoos. Each one means something very personal to me. Sometimes I do have to explain them to people but generally I just get told they are nice. You just have to make sure it is something you won't regret. Good luck with your decision.

Anjl26 responded:
Getting a tattoo is not for me, but if you want one Nancy, then go for it!
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections. hugs Sharon

pnaturegirl responded:
YES!!!

However, Read my post to you directly on some thoughts!
Check out my facebook page called, This Crazy Thing Called Pots My new Exchange on WebMd called, Pots and Dysautonomia Exchange and you can always find me here on FM Exchange or through my email!

Fibrosarah responded:
Well, Must admit, I voted why be reminded of it everyday. I like the idea of a pin as a reminder!

Must say I am in agreement with MiMi!!
But in the end, it has to be a decision made of your choice/thoughts.

But, also remember, a tat is permanent, or very expensive to have removed!

Personally for myself also, I do not share my FM with anyone except 3 family/friends, and those I met here. So might have to be willing to explain when or if people ask why??

pocotaz responded:
Nancy.... this is persnal decision for YOU to make and only YOU... there isno judgement from me on whetheror not it fits you or even the why of why you want it...

I can only tell you i have two and they have very special meaning to me and represent things in my life as well...

I got my first one at 30...old enough to know what i was doing..got my second one when i was 42...again older and knew what i was doing... i hae no judgemnets to give..or opinions... i like them is why i chose to do this and for my reasons..

I do have them in places i can cover if necessary but i don't care what others think of them either... they are nicely done and it is from my heart that they are permantly placed... no sin there....

As you see ... you will always get others opinions...but essentially it is up to you....for you and for your reasons only...i know it is a symbol of this fight and just how strong you are... for you to see... you are always one step ahead of this Dragon... be proud of that...

And you come here and lift others up and they love you no matter what...

Best of luck with your decision...

Hugs...........Linda

1rmouse replied to pocotaz's response:
I have three small ones I got years and years ago. Every Time I see them I think about how dumb I was back then to get them. They are small and no one really sees them, but having said that.
You getting a tattoo of "The Dragon" is a personal decision that only you can make, but really think it over before you get it.....you might regret it .. On a good day you'd be seeing a tattoo that reminds you of what you feel like on a bad day. Do you really want that?
Linda R.

Terry2228 responded:
My first thought is the pain you have with your FM and you know its all the nerves that FM causes most of the pain will you beable to handle it??? It is a painful thing getting a tattoo in the first place. The other thing is you never want to get some thing thats always going to be there if your drunk,high,mad or hurting about some thing!!!! I feel your pain and know this pain and would never tell you what to do. Its your body and life,but wait for one or more of those good days we get now and then. This is when you need to think about this idea you have and dont let this dragon choose for you. Good Luck{{{Hugs}}}
Terry

Socialwrkr responded:
Hi Nancy,

A few years back, I needed something, something to remind me to make better decisions and to move forward. I ended up deciding on a tattoo.

So, on the top of my right foot, I have a triquetra. The triquetra was originally the Celtic Trinity (it was then used as a wiccan symbol, but for me, it's Celtic). I got it there to remind me to start every step with God in my heart and to know He's on the path with me.

Then, after my blood clots, I have to wear compression hose. So now the dang thing is covered most days! But, I know it's there. It's been a comfort and I enjoy telling people why I have it and what it's meant to me.

So, if I were in your shoes right now, yes, I'd get something meaningfull for me. I do think it can bring comfort and acceptance and it is a way to put the message out. However, don't do it while you are angry, in pain or sad. Make sure that on your good days, you still want it.

I ask my vascular surgeon every time I see him if I can have another one yet. I intend on one day getting something to signify my fight with fibro and that I'm in charge, not it. But so far, no go.

One day though!!
Be Gentle on Yourself!!! ~~Aimee http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fibromyalgia-Support-Groups-by-Aimee http://www.lumigrate.com/ Fibromyalgia forum writer, Aimee

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.