Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Question about steroid shots: Dr. P. and All
1wareaglefan posted:
Good morning, All...I may have asked this question before, but I thought I'd repost and see if I get more responses. Besides the fibro diagnosis, I also have issues in my neck and lower back....bone spurs, thinning (of something or other that presses on the nerve), scar tissue from past surgery, arthritis, to name a few things. Anyway, I've gotten 2 steroid shots in my neck from a pain doctor, one 2 months ago, and the other one on this past Thursday.

What I've noticed is that the shot takes away, not only the back and neck pain, but the fibro pain that I feel throughout my body. I just wondered if anyone else gets these shots and if you experience the same thing? It's great to be almost pain-free, even though it doesn't last forever.

I know there are side effects, but the pain management doctor knows how often and how many you can get in a certain period of time. Anyone else have experience with these shots? Does it help with your fibro pain, too?

Thank you for any replies. Elizabeth
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mrahoe responded:
hi

i have the fm and arthritis and a tear in the labrum of my left shoulder. i had cortazone shots in the shoulder but they only helped the shoulder and for only a few hrs. but i would love to find something that would last atleast a few days. . even that long of a break would be nice.

john

jamesii responded:
I have had the steriod shots in my shoulder and hip. The shoulder shots helped, the hip shots made the pain much worse for about a week then finally got better.

I vote for a shot that would last a few weeks to a couple of months at a time that would kill the aches and pains. maybe one of these days they will come up with one.

I just take my meds, rest when I can or need to, and try to forget that I have it. ha! lots of luck on forgetfulness as a cure.

Ark Jim

dollbug replied to jamesii's response:
Hello Jim.....MiMi in NC....I, too got shots in both hips...and my has lasted.....for a long time....and at the time I got them...both hips had already calcified....and then I have gotten the synvisc shots a couple of times in my injured knee and one time in my bad knee....and these lasted over 2 1/2 years...the PA who gave them to me told me she was good...and OMG...was she ever...she could not even believe that I had gotten that much relief from them...\

I was in major pain with both hips and both knees when I got the shots...and she told me that she could tell by the way the shots went in....the hip shots bubbled when she gave them to me....

So....I only wish that someone could come up with a shot that lasted at least a year....I would be willing to get one....as I am sure others would too....

We can always wish and hope....

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Elizabeth,

Steroid shots can help fibro pain for several reasons:

1. They reduce pain in the inflamed areas from conditions other than fibro, thus one feels better "overall."

2. They calm down these inflamed areas, thus reducing the "signals" that were aggravating the fibro in the immediate areas and even the overall body; so indirectly the steroids calmed the fibro.

3. They may directly calm down the fibro flare-up, perhaps by combined analgesic, anti-inflammatory and adrenal mechanisms involving FM.

Hope you get lasting benefits with no side effects!

Dr. P

1wareaglefan replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Thank you so much, everyone, for your responses! Dr. P., we are so blessed to have you on our "team!"

Thanks again......Elizabeth

SuzyQ848 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Hello Dr. Pellegrino,
Would you kindly go over the side effects that one may expect from taking steroids or steroid shots. I have taken them both orally and through injections and had horrific side effects. It skewed my blood sugar, caused excessive weight gain in spite of a very controlled diet, shut down my immune system, making me susceptible to super infections, and in general made me feel awful, on top of appearing like a chipmunk.

I wish that I had the relief response that some of these patients are writing about, but for whatever reason, me and steroids don't work at all. We all would probably sell our souls, at times, for some relief, but when should a patient know that steroids are not for them? I was originally prescribed Prednisone for chronic bronchitis, and upon release from a hospitalization years ago, I had gained 60 pounds (I had never had a weight problem) and upon discontinuing the Prednisone, the weight would not come off with diet or exercise. It took years! I've also had the spray and stretch, with steroid injections, and I became very ill, dx'ed with a virus of unknown origin and hospitalized again. Maybe some of the side effects that you may cover would set up red flags for patients that shouldn't continue with steroid injections or oral steroids. Thanks so much for your consideration.
Susan

1wareaglefan replied to SuzyQ848's response:
Hey, Susan. I'm so sorry you have had such bad reactions to the steroid shots. I knew oral steroids could cause weight gain among other things, but I wasn't aware that the shots could cause such problems.

I think to get Dr. P's attention with your question, you may need to start another discussion with his name in the title bar.

Hope you get your answers. Elizabeth

manicmom92 responded:
You should ask your doctor about a diagnosis of POLYMYALGIA RHEUMATICA. Oddly enough, my doctor told me that the way this disease is spotted among so many others with the same symptoms (fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.) is the fact that it DOES respond favorably to Prednisone.

I was misdiagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis a few years ago. I injected Methotrexate once a week for 2 years. Painkillers. You name it - but the ONLY thing that made me feel better was Prednisone. Yes, gained lots of weight. I have been on it for almost 5 years. Started at 60 mgs a day - now I am down to 7 mg a day. The good thing about Polymyalgia Rheumatica is that it GOES AWAY! It can take up to 5 years, and it CAN come back, but at least there's a light at the tunnel, whereas there isn't one with R.A.

Just my experience! Hope you're doing well. PAIN SUCKS.

SuzyQ848 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Thanks Elizabeth, but I don't need any more answers for myself regarding steroids in any form. If it were a matter of life or death, I would maybe consider them as a last resort, but it would have to be that extreme. I just felt that there should be clarification for sufferers of fibromyalgia or other pain issues to discontinue the injections depending on their if things aren't going well. The steroid injections do enter the bloodstream, and I may be ultra sensitive to this medication, but possibly others may need a 'heads up' to know that there can be many positives and maybe a few negative ramifications, as steroids are powerful medications and it has many benefits for most. Only for me, the aftermath was a nightmare.

Now that I look at these posts, I realize that this subject was addressed a week ago, so I'm just a little behind. Thanks again for your suggestion. I'll consider it.
All the best,
Susan

NHDianne responded:
I have fibro and ankylosing spondylitis of my spine. Recently I had an injection in my hip which didn't work too well. A couple wks ago I was injected in my shoulder which responded very well after 3 days. I felt the best all over that I've felt in years, so I called the Dr. in about 1 wk. and asked for a low dose of Prednisone. She refused and said the side effects were too severe and she wouldn't do it. Lyrica helps the fibro some.

MagPrincess replied to NHDianne's response:
Elizabeth

I have had alot of sucess with the epidural steriods. It took doing it twice for my lower back but its been great. I have drastically reduced my need for lortab and generally feel much better than i was in june before the shots.
Erin Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain. William Faulkner

adalaki replied to jamesii's response:
My mum has suffered for many years with polimyalgia and fibromyalgia and has been taking Kenilog injections for several years. They last about 10-12 weeks and within a couple of days she is able to get about and walk with considerably less pain.

A.

1wareaglefan replied to MagPrincess's response:
Thanks, All, for your responses.

Erin, I'm glad to hear the shots work so well for you. I just couldn't believe how great I felt after the first one...it took away most of my pain. Then after the 2nd one, I feel pretty much pain free! I just hope and pray it lasts for a while.

Take care......Elizabeth

MagPrincess replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Elizabeth

My last one was a month ago and for the most part i am not higher than a 2 most days and the lortab has gone back to covering it for the most part.

I too am hoping it keeps lasting and lasting! lol.

I had hoped to get off the lortab completely but i think as long as it works again i am good. I am down most of the time to just two at night but lately(covering multiple positions at work) i am up to four.
Erin Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain. William Faulkner

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
371 of 398 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.