Skip to content
To bring up fibro to podiatrist?
Lauralizzie01 posted:
I have an appt to see a podiatrist on Thursday due to so much foot pain, mainly after work, but I haven't decided what to tell the dr? I have never been diagnosed with Fibro, mainly because I couldn't afford to go to the dr. My PCP in Ohio did mention it, but I declined pursuing it because he wanted to do all the tests and I just couldn't afford it with no insurance. Now that I have insurance, I'm waiting 3 months (End of September) to get in and see my new PCP! I am afraid if I bring up the fibro it will automatically get blamed on that, when I KNOW something else is going on... This is a specific, non-moving pain in the back of my heels, and some down the sole of my foot. I just don't want to have them blow me off because of it, especially when I have no diagnosis, and its not like the podiatrist is going to diagnose and/or treat my fibro anyhow! What are your thoughts

cattlebarroness09 responded:
I told my podiatrist and he asked me why I told him that? So, if I were going to a new one, I would not tell him unless they find something tying the 2 together.

Hope he/she helps your foot.

Shar in Tx.

Anjl26 responded:
My opinion, you do not have a FM diagnosis so I wouldn't bring it up. Why muddy the waters so to speak?

I have chronic achilles tendonitis and bone spurs both on the bottom and back of my heels. FM has nothing to do with it and it doesn't change my treatment.
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections. hugs Sharon

pocotaz responded:
I agree with Sharon,

I too have spurs and they hurt like heck.. but that is seperate from FM... so just tell the doctor where it hurts and let him go from there....

I have plantas facious too and that has to do with the underside of my foot in the arch area...

Good luck...hope you get help with your feet... when they hurt ...you whole body seems to hurt... i hate standing for long periods of time but have to for work...

Linda

Lauralizzie01 replied to pocotaz's response:
How do they treat your plantar faciitis? Or bone spurs?? I'm afraid they will tell me I have to be off my feet... that is just not a possibility for m!

Lauralizzie01 replied to Lauralizzie01's response:
I've been maxed out on Naproxen I had for Sciatica and icing my feet, tylenol is a regular for me, and I just don't know what else to try!!

Dollbug responded:
Hello Lauralizzie....MiMi in NC....I, too, would not tell the doctor that you think you have FM....I would just let him examine you and treat you for whatever your foot problem is....I hope that he can figure out what is going on with you...and give you something to help...

I have feet problems also....had them all of my life...it is not a good thing....I do not think that it is connected to my FM...

Take care and good luck....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

pocotaz replied to Lauralizzie01's response:
Sorry LauraLizzie01 for not getting bac here sooner..

They treat Plantas ...with physical therapy... they made me step on a tennis ball to strecth out the archillis tendon...they show you excersises to strech the calf muscles... and one time they told me that i may need to wear special boot supports to bed to keep the muscles strecthed but i didn't get them because at the time they were $90.00 a piece and i didn't have the money...

Spurs...well sometimes they can go away on their own..i usually wait and for me they do...other times if it gets real bad they can surgically remove them... i don't want surgery so i wait ...it took 4 months the last time to feel better and i still have alittle discomfort...

Good luck...maybe the Podiatrist can help...let us know...

Bijoubear responded:
Hi, I am having the same kind of pain in my feet. I am a hairsylist and have to be on them for up to 12 hours per day (however, I do have days off in between to rest them).
My doctor did some blood work and exrays on my feet and hands because along with the pain I have mild to moderate swelling at times so, they thought I had Rheumatiod Arthritits. They have not ruled that out completely yet until further testing. They did however notice bone spurs on my heals and they hurt every morning and during and after work, sometimes so bad that It is difficult to walk at all.
I bring this up to you because I and my Dr. also feel that I may have Fibromyalgia but she wants to rule out RA first. I do believe though that the foot pain is a seperate issue so I would not bring FM up to the foot Dr.

mischelle360 responded:
FM alone causes me bad pain in my feet, legs, back and neck. I don't have any other foot problems other than calluses that hurt like crazy at times. But the FM pain is just different.... My feet just HURT, feel tight, throb, aches, and So in Need of Massaging, but so do my legs, although I have to say my feet bother me more than my legs most times.

But it is only when I have a real bad day or have been on my feet a lot that day.

But I agree with the others, don't tell him, just see what he says and thinks because there could be something else causing you the pain.

Best Wishes!

karenrugs responded:
I wouldn't tell him. I would get my foot fixed.

Not everything is fm related. But then you already knew that.

Good luck. My husband suffers a lot with his feet. Every 6 or 7 years he sees his podiatrist to be fitted with inserts. Something about his high arches causing too much stress on his tendons and muscles on his heels and ankles.

Good luck.

Karen
A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 213 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.