Skip to content
Alone
Lostblueeyz posted:
I was diagnosed by my DO and we talked I was in well "quite the denial." I was thinking me...I am superwoman...I was fit athlete and then started training athletes (i'm in sports medicine). I lost myself a little bit when I lost one of my twins and stayed at 225lbs and then it took me 2yrs to get it off. I vowed I would always stay fit 125lb and personal trainer and teach people about a healthy lifestyle and not a quick fix. One yr ago I quit being a trainer burnt didn't for almost 10yrs and became a health coach and then got diagnosed......I went into a a crying rage and denial and helpness. I still feel alone everyday..I even gained some wt 20lbs I feel like that is even the end of the world. I worked so hard to be fit and now I can't run 5 miles a day without throw up bcs of the pain, now I barely can run 30 min and that has taken me all summer. I am trying to get my nutrition back on track bcs I just let me FM destroy me and I don't want that. I am fighter...I have a 9yr old girl I want to be there...and I know I have to pick and choose things...

Suggestions on anything...people this is a new world to me. I am used to giving the advice and now I need it.

Thanks for listening...it helps to know I am not sooooooo ALONE.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

1wareaglefan responded:
Dear Lost....You're not lost anymore...you've found a great place to be! We all know how you feel with this diagnosis. I think I've read that most people with fibro are type A personalities, who do it all, and have everything under control in their lives.

I have a few suggestions I'd make. First, come here often and read how others are coping. Read the tips to the right here. Read all you can about fibro and how you can help yourself. There are definitely ways to manage things. It's usually a trial and error process, though.....a journey, so I hope you have a good doctor that you're comfortable with and that you can work with.

About the weight thing... you can work at it SLOWLY, because going at exercise too vigorously can cause a flare, as you've discovered.

There are lots of medications that are helpful for managing symptoms. Talk to your doctor about ones to try. Sleep is one of the main issues we have to address. Quality, deep sleep is important for our pain levels.

I'm sure others will be around to add more, but for now, just know you're not alone, and we care about you. Keep us posted!

Take care.....Elizabeth

mischelle360 responded:
Hi Lost,

I have recently found out I have FM also... I'm sorry for your loss, I can't even begin to imagine what you must have went through and still going through.

I am not going to be much help as I have never been that athletic. I used to love doing aerobics but only when I had someone to do them with. That has been a Long time ago.

The best advise I can give is for you to read all you can here and educate yourself the best you can on FM. There is a ton of info on this site alone.

Keep your head up and know that you can continue to live a normal life, although limited... you are just going to have to find your limitations and what works best for you.

I wish you the Best!

deal14 responded:
Well you dont have to feel alone anymore! Its rough living with fibro but there are people who understand everything going on with you in life because we are too. I used to be skinnier and then slowly I couldnt work out anymore because of the pain, had to get pregnant(fertility issues), vowed Id get the weight off and everyone is bugging me too.... but I can NOT work out decently because of the pain. So I hear ya on that one, I cannot imagine having a career in that though, do you have a spouse at all? Are they understanding?

I am pretty newly dx'd myself, it was only months ago that I was official but I am definitely not new to chronic pain. My best friend is a heating pad or hot tub! I do lots of stretches which seems to help some days, I try to stay around people too because otherwise I tend to get depressed easily with my life what it is. I also joined a support group where I live and have found one great friend there who I talk to regularly and can vent all I want, this is a great place too! But its always nice to have someone in person. I hope that you post more here and feel welcomed!

pocotaz responded:
First i want to welcome you...

Accepting this diagnosis is very difficult for most of us.. we don't want to accept the fact that there is no cure for this either...so we come here to help each other cope with living with FM.

I understand how you feel about the activity...but if you at least still walk and stretch ..keep doing that and do what you can...it will take some time for you to let go of the ..." I use to be able " train of thought...but come here for those posistive lifts if you need to stay motivated.

We must stay active..or our muscles will tighten more... so just do what you can for now..

The weight issue is what alot of us experience as well.. maybe discuss how you feel and what's going on with that also ..with you doctor...they may check for other things that can cause weight gain... once those are ruled out just do the best youcan to ea healthy and move the body...

This journey is a hard one.. i know all to well and the others here do as well.. so if you just needto vnt or scream.. do it here and it may help you get through the day ... it is so imortant to try to stay as positive as possible and yes that can also be difficult..but it is not unattainable...

I hope that by being involved here you will also learn new ideas on how to help your pain levels and stress levels ect...

Read all the Resources and Tips to the right of this page and that may also help you see what you may be able to do to help your symptoms....

Feel free to come as often as you need and share the good days and bad days with your new FMily... i wish you well

Linda

angelldakota responded:
Dearest Lost... Welcome... No you are not alone...
you have come to a wonderful group of people who are very supportive and compassionate.....

When I was diagnosed I went into a tissy... I have been ill for 28 years..... in and out of the wheelchair,,, a list of 14 things were wrong with me then and I didn't want to accept another illness... I was full enough I told him... I wanted something you could do something about... and take it away for good... but he said no...

you take care and read as much as you can... have you dr check your vitamin d sometimes that is low and it adds to our pain... It is a test they don't usually do...
and read here about the things on the right... FM TIPS... LIVING WITH FM... AND THE RESOURCES ESPECIALLY THE MEMBER TOOL BOX.......

Oh Hun... I need to quit... my carpal tunnel is getting nasty... and I have one more post to post...

Please keep coming back and let us know how things are and how you are doing... we are good listeners and have been were you are right now... I am with you all the way hun... all the way...

take care

luv.... jan/angelldakota

alispazz responded:
I think by now you have I hope realized that you are not alone...

I am a type A personality also and I was always able to be fit and trim and in much better shape than FM will allow me. Slowly over the last 3 years I have come to realize that I will never be the smaller more buff me again.....lol.... if at 6' one can be considered small.

The one thing is the medications I am on, and secondly because of the pain I am more sedentary. So I try to eat right and I move as much as possible every single day.

Linda is right at first it is hard to be positive, but that is where your head needs to be. If I allow the dark side of FM in I find I hurt more and can do less, whereas if i stay positive then i can still enjoy most of my life.

We all sooner or later learn that we must Pace ourselves, when your body starts to get tired stop and rest a while then keep going.

Eventually if you so desire you will come to acceptance and figure out how to make your life work for you, and do the things that you enjoy, only in moderation. I am no where near as strong as I use to be, but I am still in the fight. and that is all that matters.

Hang tuff because you are not alone there are something like 2.5 million of us out there who started out just as angry that this syndrome could rob us of who we are, yet we survive and in some ways we become better people.

Hugs

Ali
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

Anjl26 responded:
Welcome! Check out the Member's Toolbbox under Tips and Resouces for some great ideas about things you can try to manage symptoms.

Most FM'ers are Type A personalities. We think we can do all, be all, for everyone. It takes some time to wrap your mind around the reality of FM and learn how to manage it.
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections. hugs Sharon

cattlebarroness09 responded:
Howdy and welcome, glad you found us.

FM does cause us to make significant changes in our lives but we can make those changes and still have a descent life but it does take time to find what works as we are all different.

The biggest thing I can say is to pace yourself, listen to your body and don't over do. That too takes time to figure out so listen to your body and with your background that shouldn't be a big problem.

Read everything you can find on FM, ask questions both here and to your doctor. You can come here and vent all you want, we totally understand what you are going thru and yuou are not alone anymore.

Shar in Tx.

jroseland replied to cattlebarroness09's response:
I am sorry to hear about your struggles. I thought I'd reply because I have been able to get to establish a pretty good and strenuous work out routine. My first rule for myself, though, is that whatever I do must be low impact. I will walk outside but I don't jog. It's just too jarring to my body. But to get the intensity of running I use an elliptical at my gym. I've gotten to where I can do 70 minutes on the elliptical. I will also do spinning classes and my husband and I ride our bicycles a few times per week.

I know that as someone who was in the health industry, you know all this stuff. I wanted to give you my experience so that maybe you can have a little hope.

I also have to say that I am able to do these exercises because I have access to pain killers. I know that sounds kind of bad but it's the truth. I can mentally focus on doing a hard workout because I have the peace of mind knowing that if I need to, I can take something to help with the pain.

I also have to say that I am never without pain. And any time I add a new form of exercise (weights, etc.) I have a flare-up. But again, I have help managing that pain.

Many of us have weight problems. Some of the meds commonly prescribed for FM cause weight gain. And research shows that having FM in itself can make losing weight difficult because our hormones are off balance.

You're obviously determined to not let FM get the better of you. It's somewhat of a process to figure out the right meds, exercise, and routines but I'm sure you'll get there.

Lostblueeyz replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Eilzabeth,

Thank you your kind words bring tears of happiness to me. In a good way...lol...relieve knowing I am not alone means sooooo much. Thank you for the advice. And my dr. is very good and a going to get a rheumologist also.

Thanks again,
Lostblueeyz

Lostblueeyz replied to mischelle360's response:
Thank you,
I am reading....and sorry for your loss also. It is nice to talk to others that know what you are going through at one time or another. Thank you for taking the time to share with me.

Have a wonderful day!
Lost Blueeyz

Lostblueeyz replied to deal14's response:
Deal 14,
Thank you for writing back. I have supportive family, but it's like the old saying if you don't have it...well it's whole lot harder to understand and hearing i'm in pain gets old. I stay active bcs of my 9yr old but I need to learn my limits on exercising a little more. LOL...I have always been a real go getter nowI have to learn to be half that but effective. Thank you and yes you made me feel welcome.

Thanks,
Lost Blueeyz

Lostblueeyz replied to pocotaz's response:
Linda,
THANK you I do feel better even after I posted by thoughts. Knowing there are others "like me " out there as a relief. I am trying, exercise I am doing doing maybe 30min and I got to be effective be not as hard on myself from who I was to who I am now. Your words are kinds and I need them because I feel like such a failure...to myself and to my daughter and to my family. I have always been the one the could depend on...you know the strong one...I know I am not....I feel useless some days. But all of your guys postings make me feel positive.

thanks!
lost blueeyz

Lostblueeyz replied to angelldakota's response:
Angelldakota,
thanks for the talk and I hope your carpal tunnel is ok..today...
My DO dr has been great...i am also working finding a rheumatologist....but funny my gynco dr (girl dr) actually ran the vitamin d defeciency test she was worried because I also have some female problems...so I do take extra vitamin d and calcuim. Thank you for saying those things because of little piece of info helps.

I will keep coming back....I felt better when I posted...and here I am not soooo lonely!

Thanks,
lost blueeyz

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.