Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibro and flu like symtoms
An_199254 posted:
I've been diagonosed with fibro for over three years. I live with the pain by keep moving and Lycra every night. Every now and then I feel like I'm getting the flu. A very bad headache, really bad daytime body aches and I'm so tried, I can barely walk. I go to bed early with two 500mg acetaminophen the first day and after about three days, I do feel better. After about a week, I'm feeling back to my usual self with just regular pain. What else can I do?

melissanmike responded:
Hi,
Well, the flu like symptoms is how I discribe Fibro to people who don't have a clue. I say, "Have you ever had the flu really bad where every hair on your head, every muscle aches with no relief? You're so tired you have to talk yourself into doing the regular chores life brings? That's how I feel on a GOOD day."

Some days are worse, some days are better but,....my baseline "normal" is that I have the flu and have an incredibly tired feeling.

What you are describing as this flu sounds like you're having a "flare" where your FMS symptoms are worse for a few days before getting back to your "normal".

Everyone with FMS has their own "normal". My symptoms may not be your symptoms. My level of pain may not be your level of pain. FMS is unique to us, individually. Unique to you and unique to me.

I wonder....when you are feeling this "flu", have you pushed yourself harder than normal? Has the weather changed from what it was when you felt ok? Did you overdo anything? Get less sleep, eat food you shouldn't have, not sleep well? All of these things can bring on a flare. And you seem to be describing one.

I don't think you have the flu that often. I think you are having a flare. I'm sorry for it. They are not fun. I know.

You should read the tips and information in the box on the left. It might have some information to help you through your flare.

Have a good night.
Melissa

1rmouse replied to melissanmike's response:
HI, Linda R here and I am betting that what U R having R Fibro flares. That's what kept sending me back to the PCP time and time again, until 2 years later I get the Fibro DX. And I just kept saying I feel like I am coming down with a flu.. ha ha, little did I know back then.
And more times than not I'd get feel like a flu when under stress or pressure. That's why they kept telling me it was in my head, not a real body thing happening. Again, ha ha little did I know then.
Over time I know when to slow down and take it easier. In time U will become more aware of what not to over do on and have less Flu like days feeling down and out.
Linda R.

alispazz responded:
Hi there!

Flu and fibro, sometimes I think that it is hard to tell the real thing...flu that is.....I usually just let my body rest as much as possible and bring out my comfort foods, since i have no stomach issues.

Dh said that he can tell by how grumpy I am as to how bad the flare is, I have found little to do but rest and try to remember that this to shall pass.

I do sleep alot on these days and I have often wondered if this is the body forcing sleep that I do not normally get.

The biggest thing I do is make sure I have things on hand so that nothing takes much time or energy....ie, a microwaveable meal, paper plates and an assortment of ice cream. I just don't push.

If I am way to achy, I have permission to take an extra gabapintin, and tylenol 4. I also use lidocaine cream on the aches that are causing me the most trouble.

Ali
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

MaMaTwig responded:
Hi there,
I have to agree with Melissa, you are having a Fibro Flare......and I am still trying to find my boundaries as to what I can and can't do, that brings on one of those FLARES.....

I think I pretty much got it down pat, but sometimes you are stressed more than ususal, you have to work more than usual, etc. etc. and that is when the Dragon hits. I have gotten to the point where I can't do that much at all, I really have to pace myself.

That is what you might have to do, I pace myself with excercise, house cleaning etc., I wish you luck :)
CHRISTINA :)

angelldakota responded:
Hi Anon... Hope you are feeling better hun... Sounds to me your flu is a fibro flare too... sure sound like mine...

On my good days I still feel the aches and weakness and on the bad days I feel much worse then that... I have a lot of stress within my body... Other illnesses and "structure" problems...so I hardly have a good day... my fatigue drives me nuts... getting up st 3-4 am calls for a long day... I average 3 to 5 hours sleep... with 2 to 4 times awakenings during that time... lots of restful sleep lol...

I will keep you in my thoughts... pace and take care... read some resources and tips on the right of this... I have reread them about 5 times now lol.. still trying to get the hang of it.... lol... but sometimes this fog makes me brain dead and sometimes just a slow learner... a crying shame for a genius... lol...

bless you... luv... jan/angelldakota

An_199255 replied to melissanmike's response:
Thanks Melissa. You don't know how much you've helped. At least I understand what's going on. As soon as you asked if I'd been under more than usual stress, I rememebered the day the "flu like" symtoms started. I now realize that's want brought it on. some added stress was a big part of it but weather changes has me wanting to move. Every year, I have these "flares" when the weather changes each season. Each time I would think ok, I'm getting the flu again but I don't have the coughing, sneezing or runny noise. They must be flares. I usually feel better after a few days but I tell you, winter is the worst I hurt from December to April. The older I get the more depressed I become with the approching winter season. Thanks for opening my eyes.

debbiebsmi replied to 1rmouse's response:
Again thanks much Linda R. I had no idea what these things were until I came here. My pcp didn't tell me about them. She just gave me some reading material about Fibromyalgia. I read a little of it and put them away. I just started reading more about it the last two weeks even though I was diagonsed three years ago. I felt so alone I had no idea so many people out there were going through the same things until now.

An_199256 replied to alispazz's response:
Ali, you are so right. My body told me what to do too. I went to bed, said forget about picking up around the house and washing the dishes, ate my cream of chicken soup and slept. the two 500mg acetaminophen helped alot too.

An_199257 replied to MaMaTwig's response:
Thanks Christina. I'm learning.

debbiebsmi replied to angelldakota's response:
Thanks to you too Angelldakota. I'll read the tips today.

justaskjulie responded:
As others have said, this is how I describe the basic "bad days" of Fibro. For me Fibro started with what felt like a bad case of the flu (including the fever) for over a week. I finally went to the Dr with it but they said I was too far in to test positive for the flu if that was what I had. Since then I've had the flu feeling (including a fever) several times and never tested positive. I have it even more often without the fever. For me it seems that one of the standard symptoms is an unexplainable fever, which for me is even more odd since I have a low temp to begin with so running a fever (over 99) has always meant I was really sick... now I don't know what it means.

Catexas replied to An_199255's response:
I am sorry you are stressed out. It does make it worst. I made a big decision earlier this year. I went to Texas, for three months, Jan, Feb, March. I just can't deal with the cold the snow and all the clothes you have to wear. But, mostly the temp. I have three Children, and one grandson, I made the decision after talking with my children, that I needed to be somewhere warm in the winter. This meant no more Holidays with my children and grandson. My kids, said mom, you are so umcomfortable here, and it is playing a big part in the Fibro. They said go live your life, you deserve it.

I have skype and twill talk them though there. I love to just watch my grandson play. He will go away for awhile and play and then come back and show me something.

I will leave Illinois Oct. 18th, until first of May. Long time being without family, but I have friends in Texas as well. My church family here, will have to do with skype and emails and also facebook.

I already know I will be stressed out the day I put things in storage, boxing up. But, I try not to make everything just the way I want it, its ok my kids way also. But, will try to get as much sleep as possible. That is the key. I also, listen to music from the church, it helps me stay on track. If I am right with God, it also seems easier.

Also, my children have done some work on computer, and son's girlfriend wrote and essay about Marijana. The effect, we all found is unbelieveable. I have never smoked, taken drugs. So, this will take sometime to think about. But studies show it has taken away alot of pain. But, the weight gain, is the problem with this. It would be baked in like brownies. I don't know that is a huge issue for me. i am so against drugs and alchol.

Catexas replied to angelldakota's response:
Yes, I do experience fever with my flare ups. But, have never read anything like this happening. Didn't know anyone else was having the fever. Fog is bad, and not remembering.

Kathyz47 replied to Catexas's response:
Boy I just learned something today by reading your posts. I have the fog too, was wondering why I had trouble remembering things on some days. Does anyone still work. I had a very labor intensive job and was about crippled when my day was over. I try and do regular work around the house like the dishes and my hands just cramp up. Some days I don't even have enough strength to push the vacuum. Sleeping is non existence, I am up 3-4 times a night cause I just can't get comfortable. The pain in my hips and back cause this I'm sure, there are nights I can't even cover up and my daughter has to get me out of bed in the morning. It sure is comforting to know there are people out there that understand what I am going through.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.