Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibromyalgia Misinformation Part 4
Mark Pellegrino, MD posted:
Good morning! This week's grouping includes 2 list items (#11 and #12 out of 21). I call these two "Non-Medical Advice," and we should watch for them and be suspicious of them whenever we are considering purchasing something for our FM.

11. Medical recommendations are made by non-medical people. Unfortunately many non-physicians try to make medical diagnoses and medical treatment recommendations for conditions such as FM. If the person is trying to benefit in any manner by dispensing such "advice," or if the person misrepresents him/herself as a licenced physician, this is considered fraudulent and unlawful. The privilege of making medical diagnoses and treatment recommendations should be reserved for those who dedicated many years of their life to obtain medical knowledge and training and who maintain a current medical license. The reason for this strictness is simple: someone who follows fraudulent medical advice could be seriously injured.

12. Questionable medical qualifications. This is a little different than #11. Here the person is claiming to be a doctor but is he/she really what he/she says? Many times, especially in the age of Internet, the supposed "medical professional" has no actual medical credentials. Anyone can put "MD" after the name and mislead you. A while back we joked that the MD in my name could mean "macarena dancer" or more correctly, Jim's version: "mentally deranged!"

No law prohibits someone from putting initials such as M.D., D.O., or D.C., after a name. Sure the intent is to mislead the public, but if asked to clarify, the misleading promoter could simply say it means "Matthew-David", or "Dear Other" or "Diamond Collector" or something that's "really" a nickname, hobby, or has special meaning to them.

My experience with these individuals is that whenever I asked for clarification, I get run-around, misleading, and complex responses such as the medical training was started in one place and finished overseas, or the residency program involved multiple locations, or they "changed" residency programs and did some missionary work for a while and then did some "one-on-one" training, or this or that. What does any of that means?! It's a simple question: "where did you go to medical school and do your residency?!" I went to Ohio State for both. Any deviation from this simple answer should raise suspicions.

Check qualifications before you deem a source credible, no matter how good this person sounds. Call the AMA, the State Medical Board, or the local medical society if you have a question about a doctor's qualifications.

Dr. P

(did I mention I got my doctor degree by mail after responding to a survey on a cereal box?)

((Oh sorry, I didn't answer your most important question...it was a frosted flake brand with little stethoscope-shaped marshmallows in it.)) :) :)
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Grampa_Bear responded:
(did I mention I got my doctor degree by mail after responding to a survey on a cereal box?)

((Oh sorry, I didn't answer your most important question...it was a frosted flake brand with little stethoscope-shaped marshmallows in it.))

AH-HAAAAAA!!!!!

(I got mine at Sears Roebuck :pbpt: )
Bringing Faith to the Doubtful, Doubt to the Faithful, Comfort to the Afflicted, Affliction to the Comfortable and Funk to the Funkless.

TCL38 responded:
Doc.

Great information!

Frosted flakes with stethoscope-shaped marshmallows....Oh Doc really???????????

Rolling my eyes......LOL

Tanya

alispazz responded:
Doc

I want what your on...seems to be giving you such a funny bone....According to my hubby today, mines disappeared.
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

BEACHAHOLIC responded:
Hi Dr.P
I hope you know what a gift you are to all of the people who follow you here....Great work....happy to have found you....It's so nice to have a medical professional with a personality, and kindness that's appreciated greatly!
Wishing you wellness and strength,
Truly,
Annmarie ;)

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to Grampa_Bear's response:
Jim,

Sears Roebuck has a good program too! I was accepted into their program, as well as the First-Strike Matchbook program, but ultimately I decided on the cereal route. I factored different things into my decision, but it came down to my personal taste.

Doc

Dollbug replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Dr. P........I just wanted to make a comment here.....
actually 2 comments......first I read in one of your posts that you are over 50......Really now? I would have never guessed....so did you put one of your pictures up from your younger days? You do not look 50.....and neither do you look like you have FM.....but I think we are all like this....not looking like we are sick....

And my last comment is.....I think you have been around this group too long......as you hang right in there with the best of them.....

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with us....cereal box and all.....LOL....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to Dollbug's response:
Hi MiMi,

I'm 52, my picture is 3, my fibro is 24, and my ability to hang in there with the best is ....very sweet of you to say since you are one of the best!! Thanks :)

Dr. P

pnaturegirl responded:
Oh Doc P!

If all docs just has your bed side manner it would make things so much easier to deal with!

Age is just a number as my Moms b-day is today and so she tells me often, Shes a very young 68.

She has much more energy than my self, I look a young 43 even if theres days I feel 80!

Must be the genes? :wink:
Check out my facebook page called, This Crazy Thing Called Pots My new Exchange on WebMd called, Pots and Dysautonomia Exchange and you can always find me here on FM Exchange or through my email!

Socialwrkr responded:
Also be wary of the real doctors who when you check the status of their licenses, you find they are in a 10 year probationary status due to major infractions, including violations of prescription narcotics!

Naaa, I haven't been checking on anyone....much!
Be Gentle on Yourself!!! ~~Aimee http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fibromyalgia-Support-Groups-by-Aimee http://www.lumigrate.com/ Fibromyalgia forum writer, Aimee

mrahoe responded:
hey doc. .

are you sure it was frosted flakes ? could that just be fibro fog ?

its sounds alot more like honey nut cheerios !!!

ya made me smile for the first time today..

thanks

john
going to church doesn't make you religious, anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car......

Tany84 replied to Grampa_Bear's response:
Mine was a Cracker Jack box that I won on The Price is Right! Lol!

Tany84 replied to pnaturegirl's response:
I know where you are coming from, I'm 25 and some people still ask if I'm in highschool! I figure in 20 or 30 years, I'll love it if people still think I'm a lot younger!

Hugs!

Brittany

karenrugs responded:
Thank you for the info, Dr. P

Your humor and Jim's is very unique and so enjoyable. It's a pleasure to read "happy" posts like this.

Sometimes people you think are really professionals and do know a lot aren't nothing but ones who get high off hurting others. And trying to impress their knowledge on the unknowing.

Kinda like X-Files.

Thanks,

Karen
A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug.

angelldakota responded:
I want stethoscope marshmallows... I love marshmallows... I don't care to be a Dr tho... Too much work for me lol... You seem to be able to stay on your toes and help so many people...

You are a blessing here... and I would love to live back in Canton so I could meet you and have you as my Dr... I lived there 9 years before I left and then got the diagnosis... I so wish I never left... I miss it there sooo much... I miss my friends and my fishing... and the snow...

thanks for the laugh... take care and bless you...

luv to all... jan/angelldakota

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.