Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Does Fibro last forever?
fibroanne posted:
It's some comfort knowing I'm not losing my mind beause I often feel like I'm the only one on earth who has this horrible pain. I don't want to whine and get lost in self pity, but somedays I just break down and cry from being so ovehwelmed by it all. My pain is mostly in my legs and thighs - does anyone else have pain in your legs? I got fibro almost 2 years ago. It took several doctor's $70,000 in medical tests including MS, bone scans, a ton of blood tests, brain scans, the list is endless. I lost my job and I'm now on disability/medicaid. I hate the stigma attached to welfare, but I've sure learned there are people who desperatly need health benefits and food stamps, etc. I need to make friends who understand and would just like to be able to share stories and remedies that can help us. Fibro is a very lonely disorder.

squarley responded:
You are so right this is very lonely. Yes I get pain all over ,legs ,hips, arms chest, this is all so a very pain full thing to live with I am in all over pain to day and it makes me off balance for some reason. I hope you get some relieve, I feel like crying but it hurts to much. Vent any time that's what we all do. I am on here every day ,some days it hurts to type but I am here,so don't feel so lonely your not alone. light hugs to you Squarley

Ffany responded:
Hi Fibroanne, Every single time I am in the midst of a Fibro flare I forget that there was ever a time when I felt better. I have Lupus also, so it's hard to know who is the cause of today's pain. But to answer your question, does Fibro last forever. I can say before this current bout I was symptom "Free" for a whole year. It was great, I got involved with my community, volunteering etc. I was so afraid to make commitments. I knew what a sneaky dis-ease Fibro could be, but I was in full swing for a whole year. Now, my companion Fibro is back and I feel like I let so many people down. As for the social services help. It was the most depressing and embarrassing thing I ever had to do, going to ask for help. Unfortunately it's something we had to do. I am now on Soc Sec Dis and I am not eligible for Welfare assistance anymore. It took 4 years to get approved for my social security, and it was hard. There were times when the lights were turned off or the heat. I always remembered there are those who have it worse, I was always for thankful for what I did have, no matter how little. A spirit of Gratitude goes a long way. Good Luck.

chesliem1994 responded:
I am just now finding out that my pain is not due to old age. I am miserable and have been so depressed. I went to one Dr. that would not give me anything for the pain, and now I am seeing another Dr that has me on a pain management contract. I cant sleep at night and I cant function right. Does this ever end? and if so when? I have gained so much weight from the depression, any suggestions?

dollbug responded:
Hello fibroanne....and welcome....MiMi in NC....sorry that you have met up with the wrath of the dragon.....but I am glad that you have found this unique FM support group.....as we are all in the same boat with you.....and I am sure that you will find something too that will help you cope better.....so hang in here with us....learn all you can....be sure and review the info under Tips and Resources to the right of this page....as you can surely find some things that perhaps you have not thought of to try....

Anything is a trial and error process.....which does take time and effort....and you have to allow at least 6-8 weeks of doing something before you can make a decision as to whether or not it helps you.....

Sleep is so very important for our bodies to repair itself....and we must figure out what to do to get enough of it....so you are not alone here....

I would encourage you to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which can be a source of additional pain for a lot of us....medical researchers have done quite a bit of study on Vitamin D and how it affects everyone....low Vitamin D is found in a lot of people and this alone can cause pain by itself....it is a simple blood test....but you must ask the doctor to run it....as it is not one of the common tests included in the normal blood work that doctors generally do....

If you just break down and cry.....perhaps you need to be on an anti depressant....which can help control your emotions...and also help the pain that you have....I take Prestiq for this....and it helps....this is the only medication that I take....as I have tried several different kinds but most of them caused side effects and I did not need anything else to deal with....I have learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements....

I take magnesium and malate combination supplement, Super B complex, Omegas, Vitamin D, calcium and others....as I have other health issues.....but these are the ones which help my FM pain the most....

I hope you will post often, ask questions, make comments or suggestions.....and remember .....you are not alone....there is someone here most of the time....it tends to be slower on week-ends...but this is a fast paced exchange.....and we have a lot of good members here with a lot of good knowledge....and we have Dr. P....also who truly understands our FM pain....as he too deals with it every day....

Take care and good luck...I hope you will find something soon that will help your pain....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

kittycatsmom responded:
When I was approximately twelve years old, my mother would ask me why I was crying. I told her it was because my legs hurt. We started making the rounds of doctors who couldn't find anything wrong. That was in 1963 so it has been 46 years. I take the pain pills and the antidepressants. After all this time, my legs still hurt and now my hips and my arms hurt too. In 1974 I was sent to a rhuemetologist at the Marshfield Clinic. After two days of tests, all I was told was that I did not have rheumetoid arthritis, but I wasn't told what was wrong. I was finally diagnosed with FMS/CFS after two years of sleeping constantly. This was in the early 1990's. There are good days and bad days an in-between days. As is said about so many things - it is what it is.

CLKWC1964 responded:
fibroanne,

You have definitely come to the right place. FM is a very disorder. I too experience a lot of pain in my legs/ thighs. It is not everyday for me. Today is one of those days when I wish I could cut my legs off. They ache and hurt so bad. Unfortunately we really need our legs so I guess I'll have to keep them.

This site has been a life saver for me. I love that I can come here and express my feelings and someone some where understands and is going through something similiar also. Sometimes just voicing it and letting it go helps. It is such a great venue and there are so many really wonderful people here. They are helpful, supportive and encouraging. Over to the side you will find TIPS- lots of helpful tips for our condition.

You are not alone. Keep coming back and you will see just how many others are in the same boat as you and feel much like you do. I hope you will get as much as I do from this site and eventually you will sharing with others and encouraging them also. Hang in there and keep coming back. Cat :0)

1wareaglefan responded:
Hello, Fibroanne and welcome. To answer your question about pain in the legs....YES! My fibro started in my neck/shoulder/chest area, then moved to my arms, then to my buttocks, hips, and legs. I felt like the pain in my legs was the worst, because it made me walk like an old woman....I'm only 57.

Anyway, you're right about this being a lonely disease. But you've found a great place to be here. Keep coming back and receive the emotional help and support you need.

Take care.....Elizabeth

1wareaglefan replied to chesliem1994's response:
Hey, Chesliem.....I wanted to answer your post, because I've suffered from depression for many years. I know firsthand how it causes weight gain. It is common with fibro. Insomnia is also one of the main symptoms, along with the pain. I have to ask you if your doctor has you on an antidepressant and possibly sleeping aid? Most of us take both of those, along with the pain meds.

I hope you'll contact your doctor about getting help for the depression and insomnia. There are certainly a lot of options out there for both.

I hope you find some help. Take care......Elizabeth

betsy2562 responded:
Oh I know about the pains in my legs. I had one doctor tell me it was from prednisone withdrawal (I was coming off Prednisone). I would literly be in tears over the pain in my legs. I would sit on the bed crying rubbing them like crazy and nothing, I mean nothing worked. I switched doctors and my new one watched the symptoms for a while and we tried all types of medications not knowing exactly what we were dealing with. We suspected Fibro but being cautious she didn't want to jump to conclusions. I agree. Better to wait and see than to jump into something that could make my Lupus worse. Then came the pain all over the body including the arms, hips, neck, just everywhere. I could barely walk, couldn't raise my arms up very high. It was terrible, that is when she made the final diagnosis and took me off all other muscle medicine and put me on Lyrica. It has made such a huge difference. Although Lyrica doesn't work for everyone it has worked for me. I still get pains, but nothing like what I experienced before. I hope you can find some relief soon.

Anjl26 responded:
Welcome! I was gone last week and missed your post initially. Unfortunately, no one has found a cure for FM but it is possible to get it under control to the point that it doesn't have as huge an impact on your life.

Check out the Member Toolbox under Tips and Resources and you'll find many ideas about things to try.
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you decide to see beyond the imperfections. hugs Sharon

Rabbits5 responded:
I was diagnosed in 1992 and the symptoms have increased over the years. I have also been through much testing and great expense. I have tried Myers cocktail infusion which seems to help with fatigue and energy. Cymbalta has helped with pain level. However I now have found out I was exposed to hepatitis c in the 80's when no testing was done on blood that was used for transfusions. Now I am now certain how much the hep c has effected me as well as the fibro...some of the symptoms are so very similar. Good luck and just know you are not alone and there are people who truly understand.

indiogirl responded:
Hi Fibroanne,
I was diagnosed with Fibro a couple of months ago. I had been in pain for years before that, but tried to ignore it. The pain became unbareable. It was in my legs and thighs. The burning, aching and tender to the touch I knew I needed some help! So, you are not alone, we are not crazy!!! I have been on Cymbalta since the diagnosis and it has helped me tremendously. I try to be consistent in walking everyday, it seems to help alot. No need to feel alone there are so many of us out here.

amf54 responded:
Hi I have had Fibro for 12 years. I think I had it longer, but was diagnosed after a bad flare when I couldn't walk for a few months because of terrible pain and spasms in my legs. I was started on Effexor which helped the pain, and depression. I also take magnesium with malic daily, which helps with spasms. I take a vitamin that is easily digested-I have also taken powder form of a good vitamin because I have irritable bowel and was told not all vitamins are going to absorb well. I also take vit D after being tested low. I started exercising at a gym, at least 5 days a week, and felt the best I have ever felt. Even though it is hard initially to exercise, it gets better and helps most all pain go away! I still work full time. I don't think I could do it without exercise, and all the medications I have discussed. The one symptom that has never gone away is feeling pain and weakness in my legs when walking up stairs or up an incline or hill. I have to stop and rest until the pain goes away. My legs feel like cement, they just won't go anymore. It gets worse in the cold. But try these things and see if your fibro gets better. Anyone else have the problem with thier legs when climbing stairs?

painfulpatrice replied to Ffany's response:
Ffany,
I also have lupus in addition to fibromyalgia. It's very frustrating. I am in extreme pain all the time, and I have three children at home. My husband is not very understanding, and I tried to apply for disability and was denied. My husband is having a very difficult time supporting our family on his own.....I feel very alone.....Best of luck to you.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.