Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Does anyone know if a climate change would help fibromyalgia?
spike6979 posted:
I am currently living in pennsylvania and am thinking about moving to arizona for other health reasons and I am wondering if the humidity and weather changes have an effect on fibromyalgia.

annette030 responded:
I really don't believe that it matters so much what the weather is like, hot or cold, humid or not, so much as changes in barometric pressure. I have found that they cause pain to increase. So I would suggest if you are moving for other reasons, so take that into consideration. I would not move just for FMS, live where you feel you will be the happiest.

Take care, Annette

mamawrobyn responded:
I just moved from Indianapolis Indiana to Florida! I am still having pain, the stress of the move (finding Doctors, groceries, everything. added to fm symtoms but Im very happy here,its beautiful!

Will the lack of snow and very cold weather help with fm, I dont know as of yet, but being in a more peaceful setting does.
robyn

PS seeing aligators in the lake out back,yikes scarey!
seeing all the colorful flowers,hmmmm great!

fibroinsd responded:
Well, we have several people here with fm that live in Arizona. They still have fm...and still have problems...but is it better than Penn? hard to tell...

Like Annette says...I wouldn't move just because of the fm...
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

bcbailey1977 replied to fibroinsd's response:
I live in the northern part of AZ where we have 4 seasons. I have a hard time during monsoon season and in the winter. But I also over do it sometimes. We are having a mild warm spell where it's up in the mid to high 70's but it gets into the low 40's to high 30's at night. It can be overcast up here for a couple days or longer and not rain. The cold in the winter can be where the lows are below zero and the highs barely make it to the 40's and we can have wind that makes the wind chill factor nice and low. Or it can snow and be nice or just cold. It seems that when it's not raining or snowing it seems to be windy. Not to jinx myself but it has been nice and no wind.

Brooke

lb707 replied to bcbailey1977's response:
I am with Annette it is the barometric pressure that causes the most pain. When seeing a therapist he kept track of my pain. After a few months he told me it was not the cold rain of the NW but the change in barometric pressure when I felt the best.

I will say the month I spent in Arizona was wonderful as it was a constant 80* with low humidity, but it is not always that way. At 100*-120* in the summer would be murder on my fibro.

Laura

195552 responded:
the weather changed a little bit and I went into a flare. weather changes used to be bad for sinus - allergy but not so much any more, guess the fibro flares took over.

i was thinking about moving to a beach area (always wanted to do it) but i can't stand the heat now, so i don't know if that would be a good idea or not.

I worked for 3 yrs in horrible pain and complete exhaustion, didn't know what was wrong with me (drs didn't help). i felt like i was going to have a complete break down '- mental and physical, so i had to quite and i think i slept for a year !

fibro is crazy ! who knew it was so complicated. fun,fun ( ha-ha)

Booch007 responded:
This was a joke years ago....when we decided we would all go to Florida...........the peninsula would break off the U.S.A., but we decided pain is the same everywhere...flares and triggers don't care where you are.

SAD....so SAD.....but true. People in the best of places...rich or poor...black or white....tall or short...thin or fat.....carry this dragon around.

As Daun say's.....Draggin the dragon around again!!. He is not discriminatory and is like Santa...(can be in many places at one time!!) Sorry......Nancy B

hisfaithful1 replied to Booch007's response:
My 2 cents worth. Right now I live in western Md, the humidity gets really high here in the summer. I know it makes me feel worse. I can handle the heat, just not the humidity, it makes my pain worse, and causes my joints to really ache, plus my fingers swell. I always know when the humidity is high cause my rings get really tight.

This Dec me and DH are moving back to my home state of southern Cali. It gets up to 115 more or less for 6 months there! But we are only staying for the winter though, which are perfect, in the 70s, and then moving to Wyoming for summer and fall, it's where all my 4 grown kids wound up because their dad lives there.

Gonna be trying to have the best weather yr. round.

Peace & joy

Debbie

pnaturegirl responded:
Funny this comes up, I asked my doc other day about this and he said the mountains of Arizona strangely?

He said not to hot or cold and no humidty either would help balance out some issues.

For myself, The heat intolerance for both Fibro and Dysautonomia is a rough thing indeed and the extreme cold is bad for fibro.

Sounded nice, I no the changes in weather effect me very much indeed!
Check out my facebook page called, This Crazy Thing Called Pots My new Exchange on WebMd called, Pots and Dysautonomia Exchange and you can always find me here on FM Exchange or through my email!

bcbailey1977 replied to pnaturegirl's response:
Which part of the AZ mountains? Cuz where I am at will kill you physically. I just got my diagnosis but the past few winters, especially this past winter, have hurt bad. Plus I won't slow down unless I HAVE TO, so I would shovel etc.

The mountains of AZ are totally different than most people think

Brooke

from1952 responded:
I live in AZ and I have a big problem with the heat. If I am out and the car is over heated inside (and that is always in the summer) I get sick and I hurt just the same as I do when the heat is down--- the winter (winter lol)

Anita in Tucson

bcbailey1977 replied to from1952's response:
I am having problems up here in Flag because we are getting up to the 80s during the days but down to the 40s at night and that is bothering me. My hands are starting to hurt which is the first thing that starts to hurt when it comes to weather. But I know how the heat goes down there. I don't like the heat especially in the summer where you step outside and it burns so bad and walking across a parking lot causes you to break out into a sweat. I don't go down there until the days are under 90 degrees. I don't know how people do it up here with the drastic temperature changes.

Brooke

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.