Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
FM Flares
half2walk posted:
Hi all,

I'm new here, and happy to have found you all! I'm 50 years old, and was diagnosed about 6 or so years ago, although I'm sure I've had FM much longer than that. I've had back, neck and shoulder problems for 20+ years.

I experience pain daily, but haven't had too many really bad flares, up until now. This one is really bad, though, with the flu-like symptoms you all were discussing the other day, and has been going on for over two weeks. I'm thinking this flare could be due, in part, to the fact that I abruptly stopped exercising when I developed bursitis in my knees in late July. Prior to that, I took weekly yoga classes and did a lot of walking (I even trained for and walked two half marathons over the last year).

I'm wondering if this decrease in activity could have brought on the flare? Have any of you had similar experiences?

Jamie

brucelovesshannon4ever responded:
Similar, yes, exact, well... Let me explain. Twice over the past two decades I have had really bad flare-ups following relatively long periods of moderate to good activity (walking 6 miles 6 of 7 mornings). However, in my case, it wasn't the abrupt stopping of the activity that brought on the flare-up, in fact, it was the other way around.

I really can't find an explanation for what happened to me; I walked a lot, lost weight and then WHAM! I had so much pain and fatigue that I was barely able to get around with the help of canes. Can anyone tell me what happened? Did I cross the threshold of exercise to overdoing? I don't know.

Dollbug responded:
Hello Jamie and welcome.....Sorry that you are having a bad flare right now....but I am glad that you have found this unique FM support group....as I am sure that you will learn a lot of good things here that will help you cope better...

I would first like to ask you if you have gotten your Vitamin D level checked....which is so very important....it is a simple blood test...but you MUST ASK the doctor to run it...as it is not included in the normal bloodwork that they normally do....

Low Vitamin D can cause a lot of us to have additional pain...
I would encourage you to review the info under Tips and Resources that you will find to the right of this page....be sure to read member toolbox and nutrition and vitamins....there you will find some good "tools and tips" to try....

I have learned how to control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements.....you did not say if you are taking anything now for your FM pain....I do take Prestiq for depression....but other than this.....I take magnesium and malate combination supplement, Omegas, Vitamin D, Super B Complex, Calcium plus others....as I do have multiple health issues, as a lot of us FMers do.....but these are the ones which help my FM pain the most...

I do not think it takes much to bring on a flare....so I guess perhaps you have been lucky, if you do not have many....I do know that stress can bring them on....as well as physically overdoing things....we have to remember to pace, pace and pace....

I hope you find something that will help you cope better soon....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

half2walk replied to Dollbug's response:
Right now, I'm taking amitryptiline for the pain and flexeril to help me sleep. I've noted, with interest, the discussion on here about vitamin D, and am definitely going to get have to get it checked. In general, how much D is enough? If I do better taking my calcium pills (that contain vitamin D), is that enough?

Jamie

Dollbug replied to half2walk's response:
Hello again Jamie.....MiMi....I wanted to comment about the Vitamin D....what you take with calcium may or may not be enough....depending upon your level....when I first go sick...the doctor was treating me for depression...but I knew there was something else going on with me...I ended up getting sicker and sicker....even though the doctor was trying to help me...

Eventually my Vitamin D level was checked and it was either a 12 or 14....which is extremely low....actually according to a surgeon....my D level was almost non existing....and the surgeon also thought that this was the main reason I had the pain I did (it wasn't the only thing though)....

Anyway....if you will do your own research about Vitamin D and how important it is....you will know that a lot of research has been made on this...and Vitamin D is really important....not only for us FMers....but others as well...and it does affect other illnesses as well...

I do not know if all of the doctors are testing people for Vitamin D....but I certainly hope that soon, it will be a part of the normal bloodwork that is done on people to rule out causes.....

I have been taking Vitamin D supplements now for several years...and my last test...showed that my D was still on the low normal.....which was in the low 40's....I will also share this with you....that if I accidentally forget to take the supplement....then I can start feeling the difference in my pain...and then I remember that I have not taken it yet...so I do know that taking Vitamin D is important for me...

As you probably already know....we are all different and what helps one may or may not help another....but I think I have found a good cocktail for myself as far as pain is concerned....

I also have chronic fatigue....and I have not been able to find anything yet that I can say has really helped this for me...I thought that once I slept better, then my energy level would get better....but this has not been the case for me....I am sleeping better some nights....

Anyway....again....I can not stress how important Vitamin D might be....and I would encourage you to talk to your doctor about it....

Take care...and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.