Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Magnesium Oil for Muscle Spasms
Thistledown1973 posted:
I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2004 although like many of you I have had symptoms since childhood. I have also ben diagnosed with osteoarthritis, polycystic ovary syndrome, early onset Type II diabetes, Reynaud's syndrome, and have mild to moderate gastroparesis.

My flares seem to stem from a situation where I become extremely magnesium deficient and I have full-body muscle cramping, spasms, twitches and shaking. I began using magnesium oil at a ration of 1 part magnesium oil to 3 parts water in a spritzer and applying it like a spray-on sunblock. This has kept away a great deal of my pain and muscle cramping. Magnesium oil is a concentration of magnesium from sea water and only feels oily (does not contain oil), and I use a 1:4 solution because anything more concentrated makes my skin burn.

Magnesium oil in combination with magnesium-rich foods and B vitamins helped me stave off a 2-month flare and I am once again living a relatively normal life. I went this route after reading that most magnesium supplements do not absorb well and that magensium from foods and to a lesser extent skin application (Epsom salts are a cheaper solution than Magnesium oil) are absorbed more readily. Has anyone else found any relief or improvement from magnesium therapy?

Dollbug responded:
Hello Thistledown and welcome.....MiMi in NC.....I have not used the magnesium oil....but I do take the magnesium and malate combination supplement....along with Omegas, Vitamin D, Super B Complex. Calcium plus others....as I have multiple health issues...but these are the ones which help me "control my FM pain"....it took me a long time before I finally found something that works for me....

I am glad that the oil works for you....

I hope you will be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level also....as this too can be important for a lot of us FMers....this is a simple blood test but you MUST ASK the doctor to run it.....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

fibroinsd responded:
Hello....I do take magnesium...but have not heard of this...Is this sold OTC at the drug store??? Sounds interesting...I wonder if Dr. P. has any thoughts on it..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to fibroinsd's response:
What do you think Cece? We've been discussing a number of things to watch for and consider before deciding whether to try a particular product for our fibro. Consider these questions:

Do doctors prescribe spray-on products for severe vitamin and mineral deficiencies?

Is there any medical evidence that magnesium is absorbed more readily through the skin than by mouth? What about Vitamin D and other vitamins and minerals? Should we consider dissolving them in water and spraying them on ourselves every day instead of taking them by mouth?

Does magnesium taken from sea water, then dissolved in fresh water and called an oil cause the product to behave in any special, unique way compared to other magnesium products?

Is there any medical study on the use of a spray-on magnesium oil?

I'm glad Thistledown1973 is reporting feeling better; I'm all for bettering fibro symptoms. I want people to understand better how to try to improve their fibro.

Dr. P

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.