Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
24/7 intense itching all over body (even inside ears)
cmhollins posted:
I have had this itching for over 2 weeks. ruled out allergy, meds. etc. Read in one book that "itching, with or without rash" is a symptom of fibro. Has anyone else experienced this?? And if so, have you found anything that gives relief?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mrahoe responded:
hello cm

i have this quite a bit . so bad at times i have dug holes that bleed. iv tried a few things and just plain old baby oil seems to help. sented creams seem to make it worse for me.

hope this helps. and im sure others will chime in on this to.

john

hopein2009 responded:
CM,
I have bad itching at times too. John is right, baby oil does help esp. if you put it on just as you get out of the shower while your skin is wet and then dry off. This time of year, as the weather changes and the air gets drier it can be worse. I believe Dr. P addressed this in a post to someone else recently. He explained that due to the sensitive nerves of FM patients, we will fell a number of different sensations, such as itching, tingling, extreme sensitivity, etc. You can try to look it up. I hope this helps.

God Bless, Lisa

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Cmhollins,

Click here to read Dr. Pellegrino's response about skin problems and Fibromyalgia.

But also be very sure that it isn't a medication; we can develop new allergies even to things we've had no problems with in the past. You may want to journal when it's worse than at other times to start finding correlations.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

WomanInBath responded:
It really does sound like allergies.
How have you ruled them out??
Do you have stuffy head like allergies?
My hands and feet get little water blisters for some reason and they flake and itch, but not the type of itching you're talking about.
I do hope you find out what is causing it, poor thing, must be driving you crazy.

WomanInBath responded:
Forgot to mention that I make a mixture of extra, extra virgin olive oil with Jasmine oil. ( whatever scent you like)
It does not stop it from happening but it soothes it and doesn't look so bad.

cmhollins replied to WomanInBath's response:
Hi, WomanInBath,
thanks for your concern and reply....I ruled out allergies,; meds. detergent, soaps, etc. Took benadryl for several days, with not the least benefit. It is driving me crazy....no relief, 24/7.

mommakey responded:
I have had this inside itching all over my body.I have gone to dermotologist forever with no help.my dr.has no idea. I had shingles two times years ago. I take zanex at night time,it helps somewhat,I think I need a shingles shot but my dr.won*t give me one.And I have no rashes or hives,just inside itching.Iwant to tear my boobs off,my back,my arms,my neck. And I do not have bugs.this has been going on for three years,and getting worse.I hope someone knows what to do. HELP pattykey8@aol.com

angelldakota responded:
I have this itching... No rash... no dry skin... no redness unless I begin to itch it then I can itch it raw...

I use rubbing alcohol to sooth the itching down and then put baby oil on it... the baby oil keeps it from getting dry... and sometimes soothes it too...

hope it mellows out for you soon... I know it is miserable... I will pray for you...
Take care... Bless you... Love in Christ... Jan

1rmouse replied to angelldakota's response:
Have you talked to your doctor about this? If not and you plan to, please have them check you for a yeast infection(s).

Those of us with Fibro tend to have yeast issues, moe often then those who don't suffer from it.. inside and out. I say this as a timely example because I just had to go on a cream for a yeast infection on my skin where my bra rubs under my arm.

Hope that is of some help.

Linda R.

1rmouse replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Caprice, I read with interest Dr. P.'s response.

What I was wondering, and didn't see in Dr. P's response, was what dose he recommend to help with all those dry skin, burning skin symptoms, issues?

I been using CeraVe moisturizing cream for about a year now and my hands, arms and legs are doing quite well, but I still get the burning skin. And am currently dealing with it, but this last time it was DX'd as yeast driven so am now putting a cream twice a day for that... So another question:Could yeast be a playing point in the dry skin, rashes, etc we have as part of Fibro?
Just wondring about those two things. Hope you can find some answers for me. : )

Soft hugs going out your way.

Linda R. : )

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to 1rmouse's response:
Hi Linda,

For me, I had to REALLY look at what I was taking into my body.... medications, foods, supplements, etc. And I looked for supplements which contributed to skin health from the inside out. One has to be almost a detective. But that's just me and that's after having so many allergies all my life that doing this kind of digging made sense for me. And my answers wouldn't necessarily be the same answers that you need.

The idea of yeast playing a part in this was one that was popular a couple of decades ago and now and then rears up again but I've not seen any evidence of it. That doesn't mean that, like everyone else, those of us with FM can develop problems with yeast, but it doesn't have to be part of FM either.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

KDee77 responded:
My two cents...As a child, I complained of "ants crawling under my skin." This is still the best description of what I feel... Yes, I have allergies, eczsema, and FM. No yeast infections as far as I know.

What I have noticed is this is amplified when I am overtired. Go figure! I scratch and roll around in bed until I can't take it any longer. I get up and read or watch tv to distract myself (and let my husband get some sleep!). No amount of cream will alleviate the internal itch.

It is worst in my legs, but I do get the ear problems and drainage that someone else mentioned. I will almost be asleep, and it attacks again, and again, and again....

Distraction is the only thing that helps me. If anyone can come up with a solution, I am all ears! LOL

Take care and wishing you good days...

KDee

1wareaglefan replied to KDee77's response:
Hey.....I don't know if this is the same thing, but I feel like that at night sometimes. When you said "roll around in bed," that's what I do, too. I just feel itchy all over, and I can't be still. Taking 1/2 a xanax works for me...it relaxes me.

Take care.....Elizabeth

KDee77 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Yup, that is it exactly! The sheets touching my legs makes it feel worse. Moving around seems to help, but it sure doesn't let you sleep. Thanks for the info.

Take care and wishing you good days...

KDee

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
460 of 535 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.