Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Possibly a new me?
deal14 posted:
I have been so down or mad for quite some time. One)because I am in so much pain always Two)because I have gained weight from past meds,child, lack of being able to do much due to pain,etc.

So I decided its time for me to pick up and do some soul searching. I am doing exercise everyday either a "dance" workout through DVD or a Pilates DVD. All I can say is they both totally kick my butt! I feel GREAT right after doing it... but then give it an hour or two and by the end of the day I am in so much pain. I have lost 7lbs already which really inspires me because normally I get crappy results which makes me quit.... if Im gonna be in this much pain I BETTER be losing weight!
Plus my brother who is military knows all the fitness and health stuff so have gotten to get his help with things. So I am doing Special K with fruit in it for bfast and then Paleo Diet the rest of the day, which is basically more meat and veg/fruit and lots of water. I am proud of myself so far and I hope I can keep it going, the pain is quite bad. I just want to be able to drop some pant sizes and look good in clothes again, I am too young to look like this.

I am trying not to say much to people/family around me because I want to see when they notice. But its SO hard to not talk about how good I feel I am doing, seriously I want to pat myself and anyone else with fibro or other chronic pain conditions that do any kind of workout or stick to super healthy eating.... its hard work! Sorry hope that doesnt make me sound like a jerk, but this really does make me feel like it could lead me down a good path, more happy.

I hope that everyone here is doing well!

1wareaglefan responded:
Hello, Deal...Congratulations on turning things around with your diet and exercise. I understand how bad you can feel with the extra weight. Last year I lost 40 lbs. with weight watchers and walking. I still have about 20 to go, but I feel so much better about myself.

I do want to caution you, though, about jumping into a rigorous exercise program too quickly. I did that, and had a really bad flare because I didn't slowly work up to it. I don't want to burst your enthusiasm, just offer some advice to maybe go slowly at first.

Again, congratulations on your weight loss! I hope you continue to see those good results.

Take care! Elizabeth

fibroinsd responded:
Wow...good for you !!! I am as of yesterday, starting a new exercise program...I broke down and asked someone to set me up on a better program...I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will work...

Let's keep each other thinking positively about this....I have tried so many things and I have gotten so frustrated...really need to stick with this for awhile and hope it helps..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Sylvia810 replied to fibroinsd's response:
been there with the wt,etc.I recently dx'ed with FM. Hit me like a ton of bricks ...my primary md sent me to a rheumatologist.... and there you are!

our local PBS station had a program as part of raising funds for them, and it was very good....called " yoga for those with arthritis"I. I donated and will get the DVD.I am willing to try this as they mentioned us also....it will help.

anyone else with experience with using yoga?

deal14 replied to Sylvia810's response:
I did Yoga, to me it seems very similar to Pilates. Some of the movements are a little hardcore to me and I cant quite do them yet... but you can modify them usually to an easier version until you get more acquanted or are in less pain one day depending whats going on.

Thanks for all of your encouragement! I also have tried to "diet" so many times before and just focus on that because the exercise caused so much pain but then I would just go diet crazy and eventually fall off the wagon or just get depressed. But I feel like this is a good balance.

Elizabeth-- 40lbs!!! I am jealous! I need to catch up to you!

Cece-- I am glad to know that someone else is starting out like me! Sometimes it really is hard to think positively when you know that pain is enevitable but we just gotta think about the rewards of it all!

WomanInBath responded:
I am jealous but very, very PROUD of you!!!
Fondly, Meg.

fibroinsd responded:
I went and got a DVD and did use it at home...but just not consistently enough...It is really good for us...and I should find a yoga group to go to...but should and do seem to be different !

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

jroseland replied to deal14's response:
Sounds like you're on a great track! I've been able to maintain a pretty rigorous exercise routine for a couple years now. It's not that my pain levels changed, but my thinking did. I had gained 30 pounds from meds and was more than determined to get it off. So there was kind of a switch that flipped in my mind that I was going to exercise even if it killed me pain-wise.

And my pain experience is like yours: I feel pretty good during and right after, but then it's like my body goes into shock bc of the exercise a couple hours later. I use vicodin to get through these times. I figure exercising and being healthier is a good enough reason to take opoids. But I am able to do at least an hour on an elliptical at a pretty high resistance.

It feels really good mentally to exercise regularly. People with FM often do not have control over much in our lives. But being able to exercise like this has made me feel a little more confidant. And its nice to have something work out well with my body!

Dieting is hard. I don't diet. I try to eat balanced and moderately. For some reason, we are able to accept failure in many things in life, but if we have one bad splurge diet wise, the tendency is to give up.

I've lost some of the weight I had gained from meds. But it did not come easily. I truly believe if I didn't have FM, the weight would have melted off. But I've done some research and studies are pointing to the fact that we with FM often have hormonal imbalances that affect our metabolism. This is hard to cope with.

I only mention that in case you experience the same thing. It's not like I've accepted it fully and I can't be "zen-like" and think: well my heart is healthy, well I have more muscle, etc. I want the nice body that my diet and exercise should give me! But I know I feel better doing the exercising than not so I keep at it.

I hope everything goes as planned for you. It's really good to have something to focus on other than the pain. You will see results. I do have more energy than I used to. That's a huge plus.

(As a disclaimer, I do not think every person with FM should do what I do. I know everyone is different and everyone has different levels of pain. But I hope everyone can find some form of exercise to do.)

deal14 replied to jroseland's response:
jroseland-- WOW! You do great! an hour on the elliptical, I cannot even fathom doing that yet. I mean Pilates totally kicks my butt... and just going on my elliptical for 15 min is rough. Congrats to you! I took today off on the exercise portion because I felt my body needed a day to rest, but it was really hard to find the impulse to exercise because I know I need it. But tomorrow is a new day, all I can say is tonight I am not in nearly as much pain being that I didnt exerecise so at least I know for sure that thats infact true that exercise causes me pain.... I feel like people assume because I am overweight due to meds that I am lying when I say exercise hurts me.

I am doing the healthy eating but am allowing myself 'cheat' days where I can have one goody or something about once a week. Keeps me from going totally bonkers or going off the health kick completely.

Today though, mentally I am a little down. I think its because I am just starting out though. I am happy that I am doing this and very proud of myself BUT sometimes thinking about the pain I am putting myself in and that I have to go through really brings me down even if I am still doing a workout, ya know? I feel like I sound nuts when I say that but thats just how I feel currently. I need to stay on track though and push through it and see how I feel in a month and re-evaluate which exercises and such are best again.

jroseland replied to deal14's response:
Thanks for the post. I hope I didn't sound braggy I just wanted to give you encouragement through what I've experienced.

There is a definite hump to get over, I think, both mentally and physically with regard to exercise. It still causes me substantial pain but I look forward to it and miss it when I don't exercise. You'll get there and it will make it easier.

I have had FM for a long time and mostly can accept it and cope with it. But I still often have times of discouragement and despair over what the pain holds me back from. At least you know when you exercise that even though it causes pain, it's so very healthy otherwise. So it can be viewed as a "positive pain" (way easier said than done).

And Pilates is hard! It doesn't seem like it but whenever I've done it, my pulse goes up and I sweat! Soon, you'll be able to do 16 minutes on the elliptical, then 17 and above.

One way to really maximize your exercising is to do intervals. For example, on the elliptical, you increase speed and/or resistance for 30 seconds. This should get your heart rate even higher. Then, you go back to a normal pace for 90 seconds(or longer, as needed), then do it all over again. Of course, you'll need to let your body dictate the difficulty level and the amount of time spent doing it. But it's a really good way to increase metabolism.

I also don't think everyone should or can do intense exercise. It's been a good experience for me--emotionally more than anything. I hope you can find your right balance and get some satisfaction out of it!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.