Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Traveling with Fibromyalgia
grannyannienm posted:
Can anyone tell me the effects of flying with FM? I am suppose to fly 1200 miles to be at my second granddaughter's birth. I want to know if the cabin pressure on the plane affects the FM. I'm not thrilled about riding on a bus for 2 days (been there done that - painful). So this time I'm looking into flying - gets me there faster but I am concerned if the cabin pressure makes the pain worse. Any help?

I am 57 years old and was diagnosed in 2007. Been downhill since...had to quit working...pain almost daily now (use to be more good days than bad). Pain sometimes so bad don't even want to get out of bed. I was on Lyrica and Cymbalta but insurance quit helping with pay. Now my doctor has me on Lortab 10 (4 x's daily). But now since I've quit working I have no insurance so I have to watch how much all medicines cost me.

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....MiMi in NC....I wanted to comment as a couple of years ago....I fly out to LA....and I will be honest with you....it was an ok trip....I do not know where you are going....but from the time I got up in the air....until I landed...my pain was very limited....I was quite surprised....someone told me though that it also depends on the location.....I personally think you would be so much better off flying than be stuck on a bus for 2 days....

I would encourage you to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....if you have not already done this...low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for a lot of us FMers....
I would also encourage you to check out the info under Tips and Resources to the right of this page....as you might find some good "tools and tips" to try that may help you cope better with your pain...

I have learned how to "control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things....such as using heating pad when needed....putting lavender bath salts in my hot shower at night....the worse thing than I can do is not move ....especially when I am in more pain than normal....gentle exercises help also....

Good luck on the new grandbaby....I hope everything goes well with your trip and with the mother and baby also...

Enjoy your trip....and I hope you will post and let us know how things are going when you have time...

Take care...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Fibrosarah responded:
I have flown before, and personally, never had a problem with cabin pressure?? That usually affects more problems in the heart, B/P areas, Pregnancy if far along, I would think? May be wrong though.

grannyannienm replied to Dollbug's response:
Thank you so very much MiMi. It may cost more for the plane but it will be worth it. My doctor doesn't seem to have much knowledge on FM - he's an internal medicine doctor but seems lost. He helps with my diabetes and that's about it. I also have Diabetic Neuropathy and he seems like he's in a fog sometimes with that too. Not too many doctors around this area are knowledgeable about either one. I don't drive and I can't travel too far because we take care of my father-in-law. He's almost 80 years old, lost both legs to diabetes, and had a stroke in '97 which took use of his right arm and speech. I don't like to leave him alone for too long and around here the next closest bigger city docs would still be over 2 hrs. away (1 way travel). So I feel trapped between a rock and a hard place with my own medical needs. And also now because of financial situation - no insurance. Am going to check to see if I can qualify for medicaid. Thank you again for the info - helped a lot. God Bless and take care.... Annie

hisfaithful1 replied to grannyannienm's response:
I dont know if it's just me or what, hopefully it is because I wouldn't wish a hard time on anybody.
Right now I'm in MD, and I usually fly at least once a year to Cali, or Wyo. to see family. It affects me something terrible. I am severely fatigued, the whole visit, plus the brain fog kicks into high gear. I hate it so much. I'ts like way worse than jetlag, and I do not feel back to what is my new normal since the fibro diagnose, till about 4 or 5 days after I get home. Does anyone else have this kind of experience?

Grannyannienm I do agree with MiMi, flying would have to be better than a bus. And let us know how the trip worked out when you get back. Praying it's a good one for you.

Debbie

grannyannienm replied to hisfaithful1's response:
Thanks Debbie - I will. I just hope it's a good trip cause I don't want it to be my last. It's cheaper for one (me) than for her to fly w/two children. God bless and may you have a pain-less time. I don't say painfree anymore as with FM there aren't too many of those. Take care.

cag1962 responded:
Hello. I was diagnosed with FM last November and am constantly learning about what affects me and what doesn't.
I flew out to Nebraska in April. I got a cheap flight, that required a layover in Denver where I had to walk "forever" to
the next gate. The flying itself was fine. I would recommend
getting a non-stop flight even if it costs more. If you can afford it, go first class---more room for stretching tired, painful muscles.
The less travel time you have, the less chance of getting fatigued, fibro fog, etc and more time enjoying your visit with your children and grandchildren.
I hope this helps you.
Enjoy your trip.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.