Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dr .P
missshortyd posted:
Why is it that most of us with FM don't sleep no matter how tired we are and when we do it's only for a short time?

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi missshortyd,

Well some of us have beautiful black labs that keep us so busy running around and lick our faces while we're trying to sleep!

I will start a new discussion on sleep and FM so look for that too. (as soon as I'm done with this response!)

Good quality sleep is very hard to come by in FM, no matter how tired we are. In fact, we are so tired because we sleep so poorly. We have non-restorative sleep where we do not get into good deep sleep stages (mainly Stage 4 or delta sleep) so we never fully "recharge our batteries." We get some stage 4 sleep but it is brief and frequently interrupted (as measured on a sleep EEG, or part of a sleep study). So, we wake up often and watch the clock....(YAWN).....

Dr. ZZzzz I mean Dr. P

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.