Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Alternative treatments
HistOterical posted:
I have tried ALL the meds that I have seen commonly listed in the discussions as well, but I do not seem to tolerate them very well at all. I am current not taking anything for the pain and discomfort, and I do not want to begin using pain killers as a 'normal' or 'regular' means of alleviating pain. So I am wondering if anyone else has read about using 5HTP as an avenue of treatment. My sister has FMS as well and she takes muscle relaxers, and NSAIDS and the lot and she still has as much trouble as I do, not to mention the reflux that the NSAIDS and anti-inflammatory meds cause. My youngest brother is believed to be a sufferer as well, but is in the same boat as we are. We live near central AR where unfortunately there are so few doctors that actually treat FMS. I have been reading a lot material concerning the use of 5HTP in treating Fibromyalgia. I look forward to hearing your thoughts... Thank you

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome......sorry that you are having to deal with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM.....but I am glad that you have found this unique FM support group.....I would suggest to you though to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level.....as this might be an issue as low Vitamin D does cause a lot of us FMers to have additional pain....I have, in the past, used the 5 HTP....but I do not take it now.....but I am taking a variety of vitamins and supplements and I am able to "control my FM pain" with them....so I am sure that you can find something that will also help you cope better...

I have not been able to find anything to help with the chronic fatigue that I have though....although I continue to try to find something for this also....

I would encourage you to be sure and review the info under the "Tips" and "Resources" that you can find to the right of this page....as I am sure you will find some things that perhaps you could try....especially see "member toolbox" and "nutrition and vitamins".....

It took me a long time to figure out just what I needed to deal with my pain also....I now take magnesium and malate combination supplement, (found at vitamin store) Omegas, (I take Fish Oil, Krill Oil and Salmon) Super B Complex, Vitamin D supplement and calcium....plus others....as I do have other health issues....but these are the ones which help me the most...I do take Prestiq for depression.....which is the only prescription medicine that I take....I do have muscle relaxers also....but rarely have to take them also....and I use other things as well....such as heating pad, lavender bath salts at night in my showers....to help relax my body....I also have learned how to pace, pace and pace...which I think has a lot to do with how I feel.....

FM is a mean illness to deal with....but we FMers must keep on keeping on until we find something which will help us cope....

I hope you will post often, ask questions, make comments or suggestions.....

Take care and good luck....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

1wareaglefan responded:
Hello....I have read about 5 HTP as being helpful with fibro. There's a doctor in B'ham who believes it is one of the most important things, because it is actually turned into serotonin in the body. Serotonin helps with mood, sleep, and decrease in pain levels. He believes that in people with fibro, their serotonin levels are too low.

If you want to read more about what he says, his website is www.treatingandbeating.com . I hope this is helpful to you.

Take care....Elizabeth

fibroinsd responded:
If you want to find a doctor in your area that treats FM you can go to www.fmaware.org....you can also call Rhuematologists offices and ask if they treat FM.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

carlie915 responded:
Helo, I was diagnosed on monday w/ FMS... The Rhuematologist I saw put me on Prednisone, and did more lab orders, and has discussed putting me on Rheumatrex whe I go back the middle of this month. Has anyone here used either of these drugs for FMA.
And also has anyone tried Aloe Vera juice to drink, I heard mention of it yesterday being wonderful for hlping with inflamation, wondered if anyone has tried this with or without success,... thank you

annette030 replied to carlie915's response:
Those are two drugs commonly used for rheumatoid arthritis. I am not familiar with them being used for FMS.

I personally do not believe that FMS is an inflammatory condition, so I would not try aloe vera for help with inflammation in connection with FMS. RA however, does cause inflammation, so it might help if you have that, or if you have any other condition with inflammation that may be causing your FMS to flare up.

Take care, Annette

jamesii responded:
Hi, Jim from(West Memphis) NE Ark here. There are a lot of drs that treat Fm, eventhough they may give the attitude that what you have isn't a "real" disease. For the sake of your well being they may give meds anyway. We don't need pity or a just in case type of treatement, what we have is real. it really hurts and puts us down a lot physically.

At times I just want to scream"I need help." Actually, I have gone to the ER several times and done just that. I even took my wife several times and told her she had better scream for me or I was going to die . I felt that bad. Finally I got the right persons attention and was dx'd and treated.

As I said before, lets pray, cross our fingers, and hope that soon a standard med will be developed that will treat this problem better than the myriad of things they treat us with now.

Good luck to you, there are drs around who treat fm, just have to dig them out of the many drs available.

Ark Jim

squarley replied to jamesii's response:
Jim ,what did they do for you in the er ,I went many time and they did nothing? I do not take pain med. just over the counter,but some times it can get so bad, you think your dying. Hope your doing better. from Squarley

1wareaglefan replied to squarley's response:
Good morning....I don't see how those of you who don't take pain meds do it. I thought my fibro pain used to be bad, but since I've had shingles, I see that my fibro pain wasn't all that bad compared to this! This pain is so intense that I can hardly wait for the pain med to kick in just to take the edge off my pain.

I know that from reading the discussions, some of you have very intense fibro pain. I personally couldn't live that way. If there's relief out there, in the form of a pain pill, then I'm going to take it. I know from reading about chronic pain that it's more harmful to your body than taking pain meds.

So for those of you with very intense fibro pain that don't take pain meds, my heart goes out to you. I pray you find some relief!

God bless you....Elizabeth

deal14 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
1wareaglefan--- yeah but for example in my case... I have been on pain meds for years for Endometriosis and now have fibro... pain meds dont even work anymore or they make me sick to my stomach because of being on them for so long. So yes if there was relief out there I would use it but theres not for me, so I am on nothing. It is painful and lots of times I am just researching and hoping that I can find a natural way to deal with it. Especially since i started working out....

1wareaglefan replied to deal14's response:
I see your point. And like I said before, I am so sorry for you and for all of you that can't find any relief. I wish I had an answer for you....until there is one, I continue to pray.

Take care.....Elizabeth

jamesii replied to squarley's response:
Most of the time they just put me on antibiotics. The one who dx'd my problem put me on tylenol3 with codien. man that worked. I took 1 pill and for about 4 hours I felt more normal than I had in 30 years. Can't stay on that stuff though as it is addictive.

I was put on amitrypitaline, it made me sleepy all the time. I was changed to gabapentin. It really helps a lot.
Jim

hisfaithful1 replied to jamesii's response:
Hey Jim, If the tylenol 3s w/codiene helped me to that extent I would go ahead and take them. Just my opinion here of course, and I know were all different. Im just sorry to hear you are suffering so much. I have heard there is a difference between drug addiction, and drug dependence.

I'm 54 by the way, and was only diagnosed for fibro this past June after alot of tests. Had never needed pain meds before this. Now I'm so glad there is something that helps. My doctor gives me Tramadol, and I can take up to 300 mgs a day, but sometimes I only take 200.

Well, it's good the Gabapentin works for you. This can be such a difficult illness. I have begun to think my husband may have it cause he has so many of the symptoms.

God Bless

Debbie

HistOterical replied to carlie915's response:
Hi. I was reading over the posts I received and when I got to yours I HAD to reply. Aloe Vera is not a substance that should be ingested...I am not sure on all the 'particulars' associated with it, but I have read that it has something to do with the way it is harvested. So I would strongly advise you to not ingest it.

Of course this is my feelings about it, by all means research it yourself and draw your own conclusions. I researched Canola oil, because I had read somewhere it caused could cause asthmatics more problems. Afterward reading up on it I decided that it would never enter my home again. So by all means look at all the information you can.

Good luck to you.

HistOterical replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
I do not take serious pain meds because I don't tolerate them well at all. I can take 2 tylenol and be out for 3 or 4 hours...

This is the problems that I have with the medications that are currently available...they seem to all be too strong.

I get very frustrated, and have occasionally I break down and take a 'real' pain pill so I can just sleep and rest. Its knowing that I will be waking up with the medicinal 'hangover' that always makes me think twice.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.