Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weight Gain with FM meds....
Over65Nana posted:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to combat weight gain from Fibro medications? I take Lyrica and Cymbalta for FM and have gained over 30 pounds in the last year since starting these two drugs. I was already taking Celebrex & still am for my osteoarthritis & sciatica.

Also, if I stop taking any of these....will I lose the weight??? I am so disgusted about this. I eat less than ever and more carefully than ever and still continue to gain weight.

Any info. is appreciated. Thank you.

fibroinsd responded:
Weight gain has been a real issue with me...I was on Cymbalta for awhile...and although I gained weight...I don't blame the Cymbalta...I have been on a weight gain ...a few pounds constantly going up for some time..

I know some people have gone to Medi-fast or something like that (is it called mediquick??? I forget now...)...and that seems to be helpful...but it is expensive...and some have used weight watchers..but that isn't easy either.

I have started lifting weights...and although I don't want to jinx anything...it does seem to be helping..maybe too early to tell for sure.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

diannarebecca responded:
I don't know the answer but I can sympathize. My closet looks like an outlet mall with sizes ranging from 10-18 & I pray that I don't go up from there.

annamaria04 responded:
I've gained 15 pounds and gone up two sizes in the last two years. I have to be very careful what I eat because I know I can't exercise it off like I used to. I was on Lyrica for about a year and when I stopped four months ago, I did not lose any weight.

1wareaglefan responded:
Well, I've been offered lyrica several times by different doctors, and I always say no thank you. I may be nuts, but I have hard enough time with my weight without taking that. I've read too much about people gaining weight pretty quickly on it. And like you said, it isn't because it increased your appetite. I don't think cymbalta causes weight gain...I may be wrong.

As someone who's battled weight for many years, I understand your frustration. I have lost 40 lbs.with weight watchers, so I don't want to take anything that may cause me to gain any back that I worked so hard to get off.

I hope you find your answer! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, though.

Take care.....Elizabeth

jroseland responded:
I had a similar experience. Even after I came off the meds I could not lose weight. I ate 1200-1500 calories/day and exercised vigorously 3-5 times per week. My doctor said I should have had pounds melting off. My thyroid levels were normal--and way within normal, not even borderline.

I believe that these meds drastically changed my metabolism. The problem is that many people with FM already have hormonal imbalances that make our metabolisms low.

I started taking wellbutrin for depression and I believe that it helped me to lose some weight. Some people gain weight from it, but it is even sometimes used off-label for weight loss.

Although it can be difficult to exercise with fibro, it's very important. To make the most out of my time exercising I do interval training, which helps boost metabolism. If you're already exercising, try doing 10-30 second intervals of more intense exercise. Then go back down for a minute or two (or longer, as needed), then increase the intensity again and repeat the whole cycle. I do this eight times but it's something you can build up to. I can only do this using low impact machines like an elliptical. And exercise does usually spike my pain levels but I would have the pain anyway. I got to a place in my mind where I exercise no matter the pain it causes. I recognize, though, that everyone has different levels of pain, so it's not like I expect everyone to be the same.

I am sorry you are experiencing this. It has been very hard for me to go through and I still struggle with the emotional issues it caused. I have not found easy answers but I do think both the wellbutrin and exercise, along with healthy eating have helped me lose some of the weight.

I hope you can find something to help!

annette030 responded:
I would make an appt. with a licensed nutritionist/dietician. My doctor set me up with one many years ago when I was first diagnosed with FMS. I learned alot from her in just a couple of appts.

There is no guarantee that you will lose weight if you stop the drugs, because I doubt if there is any guarantee that the drugs caused the weight gain to begin with. I have been on all kinds of drugs for FMS, and they never caused weight gain in me, I don't think there is any proof one way or another. Just that in some people they seem to increase weight, or seem to cause weight loss.

Those of us with FMS have slowed down our activity so much due to pain and age that it is very difficult to lose weight as easily as it was when we were younger and more active.

See your doctor and discuss this with him.

Take care, Annette

KatmanduLou responded:
I started on 25mg of Elavil, and slathered on 35lbs in the first year, and settled at a 30lb gain. My weight goes up and down 10lbs, depending on what I'm doing, eating,etc. I'm always watching what I eat, counting calories etc, and I don't have the energy for aerobic workouts. Yoga is helping, and I'm seeing my waist again, but like you I'm disgusted with the way I look.

After 5 years I called my sister and she shopped in my closet, taking home some of my favorite pairs of *small* pants. *sigh* Some of us here feel your pain, and I'm sorry I have no answers. Know that you aren't alone!

MaMaTwig responded:
Dear Over65Nana,
I quit taking Lyrica because I retained alot of water while taking this medication, it says it can cause excessive swelling which is what it did to me, I lost some of the weight, I had to be put on a diuretic (water pill) immediately.......I could stand to loose 5 more pounds.

I know I am not as active as I was, but my weight gain on Lyrica was extrmeme amount of fluid, my ankles, around my neck, my stomach all retained so much water, my Dr. was pretty shocked.

But what works for others, doesn' t mean it will work for someone else. Honestly, I feel as long as we take some medications we will not be able to loose the weight, but that is how I feel, but If it makes us feel better, that is a choice we all have to make....

Take Care :)
CHRISTINA :)

grammie1014 responded:
I don't have any answers. I am having the same problem after being on Cymbalta for 6 months. It's so difficult because most of us don't have the capability to exercise enough to lose weight. I wish I had some answers. I weaned myself off the Cymbalta and was off it for a few weeks, but I was so tired that I had to start taking it again. The doctors aren't any help where this is concerned. Mine tells me that I have to exercise!

triciare responded:
I gained 40 lbs when i first started taking Lyrica. Something about the drug makes you extremely hungry all the time I found out. That aspect stopped when you stop taking the drug of course but the weight isn't easy to take back off again, at least for me. Eventually, the pain from fibro got bad enough for me to resume taking the Lyrica. So far no massive weight gain like that but I have had bouts where I feel so hungry (even though I've eaten normal meals and all). Haven't tried any other meds yet. My rheumo doc wasn't inclined to switch me to something new. So now I'm getting a new rheumo doc.

An_199346 responded:
35 yr.old female 5'4"-These are my experience with each medication.
I have taken all 3 FDA approved medications for fibro. Lyrica made my legs swell with edema so the doctor took me off right away. It looked like I had cankles. Cymbalta caused me to have weight gain along with suicidal thoughts which I never had before taking the drug as I am not a depressed person. Savella is the only medication that worked for me and also made me lose 20lbs. I went from around 130lbs to 110lbs. I was apart of the research study for this medication and it was a side effect at least for myself. The medication was used in China for years as an anti-anxiety medication. Since it has been out for so long, or at least long enough, the precription with my insurance is only $20 which is much cheaper then the other 2 meds which cost between $60 to $120 with insurance.
I am worried that your doctor would have you on both Lyrica and Cymbalta at the same time as the side effects can be great with each one separately but then together could be much worse.
Also, as I read through some of the other folks concerns I noticed some might be double dosing on serotonin type medications. Since Cymbalta and Savella are anti-deppressents it is important to not take other anti-depressent type medication along with them as it may cause serotonin syndrome which can be fatal and happen very quickly without warning. So we all need to be careful and check all of our meds for interactions in case our doctors do not catch the conflict between them and we can become toxic. I always check any new medication I receive on WebMd as to clarify drug interactions and side effects. Just be careful as we all want to get well and as quickly as possible but may not see what side effect is being caused by each individual medication we take everyday. Know your body and listen as it usually know's best.
Best of luck.

irisheyes528 replied to grammie1014's response:
While on Cymbalta I gained over 40 lbs. in approximately 1 year. I went from a size 6 to a size 12. I have never had a problem with weight gain as a matter of fact it was just the opposite. I believe that the Cymbalta causes cravings which caused the weight gain. I started craving salt and carbs. I use to prefer sweets like Ice Cream. Instead I would eat chips and subs and also started liking beer. BeforeCymbalta a rarely ate subs and never liked beer although chips were a favorite, but not in the excess like when I was on Cymbalta.
Unfortunately even though I no longer care to drink beer and eat subs I am having trouble loosing the weight I gained. For the first time in my live I have a weigh problem. I don't know if this has been your experience but hope you are doing well.

OkieNannie responded:
I was on Cymbalta and Lyrica for two months and put on 10 pounds. I ate less than before I started the medication. My dr, switched me to Savalla and it is like living in a whole new world. I didn't lose weight from changing medication but after I started swimming laps for an hour 3 times a week I have been able to lose a pound a week. The swimming has made a big difference in how I feel. I am not a strong swimmer so I wear a aqua belt that allows me to swim without effort. Granted I pay for the excerise with pain in the evening, but the benefits are worth it. Just walking from the parking lot of Wal-Mart to shop leaves me out of breath but swimming does not. No there are no quick weight lost fixes but a 1lb a week can evently add up.

Good luck--check into swimming!

An_199347 replied to triciare's response:
I too have gained 40 pounds since I started Lyrica. I put on 30 pounds in the first 2 months and another 10 pounds in the next 2 months.

It has made me hungry all the time. I have been severely craving sweets - "chocolate"!!

Lyrica has decreased my pain a lot! But I am seriously thinking about stopping it. I think my pain will just increase and make me resume the Lyrica again.

I am very digusted about my weight and need to do something!!!!!

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.