Skip to content
How many people have had FM since they were a teen?
putrkgirl posted:
Hello,
My name is Brandy and I am new to the FMily! I am 30 years old and I have had cronic pain since I was 12. It started out with migraines then progressed to "Growing Pains" that never went away.

I am afraid to start a family due to this disease and the cronic back problems I have. Can anyone give me some advice?

I lucked out and my husband is very understanding. My parents are starting to come around to the idea that there is something wrong and I'm not lazy. I have a really hard time with this and the depression meds aren't really helping. I was fired in 2009 and that just sent me over the edge!!! I was sick and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. Still haven't solved the problem. I feel really worthless.

Thanks for letting me vent! It's just nice to know I'm not alone!!!!!

diannarebecca responded:
Hi Brandy! I understand exactly what you are saying. I have been suffering since at least age 13 with migraines, back pain & general pain which like you I was told were growing pains. Nobody could understand why I hurt so much & I was made to feel like I was just a huge whimp. Although my family is more understanding now they still don't really get it.

I am 34 & I had my first child at 15. My second pregnancy at 22 was much harder but I hadn't been diagnosed yet at that time so with only a teenage pregnancy to compare it to I thought the pregnancy was normal.

I don't see any reason to put off pregnancy if you really want children. Your husband and family will have to understand that you will need their support and assistance & you will have to understand that you need to allow your body extra rest. I would suggest getting a referal to a rheumatologist who may be more knowledgeable about fibro & asking for information to supply to your gyno or better yet, ask the two doctors to share information about your care.

Are you on any medications?

jroseland responded:
I have had pain issues almost as long as I can remember. I also had "growing pains" that have never gone away. I have had horrible sleep patterns my entire life. I'm 28 now and can honestly say I've had chronic pain for around 20 years. Crazy!

I am also facing the having kids issue. There are more factors than just the FM for me but I think it's doable. My sister also has FM and has a son. She's had some hard times where because of her son and work she had to "push through it" but I think she'd rather deal with that than not have her son.

But the reality is that FM does affect your whole life. I think most of us struggle with feelings of worthlessness. Sometimes I feel like other people are living their lives around me where I'm on the side-lines just watching.

mischelle360 responded:
I believe I have had FM since I was 9 years old. My achy pains and feeling bad was always blamed on allergies, which I did have bad allergies but I now know FM is what made me feel the way I did.

Looking back, my first major FM flare up was when I was pregnant with my almost 12 year old. I am now 41 so I wasn't much younger than you when I was pregnant with her. She was my second born and I had had two miscarriages between her and our oldest son. I think the stress of worrying about losing her put me in a flare the entire pregnancy. I slept most of it away,lol, as I was in a severe state of exhaustion.

I did get better after having her. I still had the FM, just not unbearably so until this last year.

I also have an 8 year old. I was not in a constant flare the whole time with her... I think stress is one of the main causes for flare ups.. The higher the stress, the worse the flare up is.

I will say this, If I had to do my almost 12 year old's pregnancy over again, pain and all, i'd do it in a second! I might have been in pain and in a severe state of exhaustion, but it was a price well paid for. I cannot imagine life without any of my children. And without a doubt, she is my rock...

I will say this, if you want children, the younger you are having them, the easier it will be on you... Or at least I would think so.

Take Care!

deal14 responded:
You are not alone. I was diagnosed with Endometriosis when I was a teen and nothing was helping and eventually was put on a drug called Lupron by a doc. Well now I know it was a chemotherapy drug and just does a number on your body, so as soon as I started it I started havingall over body pain, memory issues, etc.... they were NOT supposed to be permanant but now I am considered to have Fibromyalgia. So I also get the pain from when you were a teen carrying over.

As for starting a family, I totally get it. Terrifying. Luckily(kind of) I had ferility issues with the endo problem and that kicked in the problem that if I didnt have kids now I may not be able to later in life. So we got pregnant. Sometimes it really takes a toll on me and I Feel like an 80 yr old raising kids. but my husband helps alot and so do some of my family if I need it I drive to my parents and stay over and they help me. If you have a good support system then I say go for it(also if your ready!) because if you want a family now, dont let this disease hold you back. Its scary I know but even though you had bad days now maybe where you dont get out of bed, when you have a baby and they cry or its time to get up, you will get up because you dont have an option... and its not a bad thing either. For me at least, my kids are the reason I get out of bed... because they need me more than I need to be in bed. When it was just DH and I, I didnt have to get out of bed or do much when I didnt feel good because hes an adult. I hope I didnt scare you, I was hoping to inspire you. But for me it really helps to know they need me more and to kind of just push through the bad days.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.