Skip to content
Weight gain with FM meds
NaturallyUnique posted:
I am a mother of two toddlers. A weel after I turned 30 I was hospitalized for a lot of unexplained and frightning sypmtoms, uncontrolable jerking, studdering, extreme weakness and loss of balance..well after being told I was "crazy" I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I was first put on Amitriptylene which I steadily gained about 5lbs a month. This was depressing since I had lost a total of 45lbs by my 30th birthday. Then I was swithched over to gabapentin and it seemed like my 25lb weight gain leveled off. I lost 5lbs and I have reverted to an almost vegetarian diet. Recently I had to increase my dosage alot and it seems like my weight gain is trying to come back. I am relatively active with working part-time and having 2 busy toddlers..anyone have any suggestions!!!!

jroseland responded:
The crummy thing about many of the meds used for FM is that they cause weight gain.

I gained a bunch of weight while taking gabapentin. I was eating 1200-1500 calories/day and exercising 3-5 times per week. I had been the same weight within 5-10 pounds for years.

Many people gain weight when they take certain meds. Some people can adjust their diet and exercise and keep the weight off. For me, I am completely convinced that the meds really messed up my metabolism. I could not have done more or eaten less to lose the weight.

There is no easy answer to this issue--it comes up a lot here. Everyone is different. Some can control their weight, some will gain a little but believe the benefits outweigh the side-effects, and some like me will gain a ton of weight and decide never to take those meds again. As a note, I did not have very much relief from the gabapentin, so the weight gain was really not worth it for me!

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.