Skip to content
Any advice?
GoldnTrieverGal posted:
I'm new to this and I've never posted anything on the Internet before; but I'm desperate and I don't know where else to turn. I've just been released from the hospital for Seratonin Syndrome; caused because my dr. had prescribed an antidepressant and Savella together. My dr. is a wonderful person, but now I'm really frightened. The pain is horrible, I'm still weaning off of the Savella, and the effects of the Seratonin Syndrome are still present. I'm single and afraid that I'm going to lose my job because of all the absences I've had. Previous doctors have told me that a) FM is what a dr. prescribes when they can't figure out what's wrong with you, or b) still considered a psychological disorder, or c) there's no such thing. Now I've found a physician that acknowledges that FM exists, but his treatment plan landed me in the hospital for 3 days. How do I locate another dr. and how do I prevent this from happening again? I'm terrified of being a bag-lady with my dog, a bag-lady in severe pain. I'm so depressed that I can't even articulate it. Any suggestions would be so welcome. I'm in Phoenix, AZ if anyone can recommend a dr. here. Thank you so much.

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....sorry that you are dealing with so much right now.....MiMi in NC....I am glad though that you have found this unique FM support group.....I first want to assure you that FM is real....and it is a mean and ugly illness....

You need to learn all you can about the wrath of the dragon, aka FM.....as the more you know...the better off you will be....this, like anything else though....takes time....there are no quick fixes.....I am so sorry that you got so sick....I can only say that we FMers must do our own research....and make sure that if we get sick....to go to the doctor right away...

We can not recommend doctors on this site....but you can go to the National Fibromyalgia Association....under the "Resources" to the right of the page...and it will have a place to find a doctor in your area....you might want to read some of the other things there also....and under the "Tips"....especially see the "member toolbox" and "nutrition and vitamins"...

I hope you will be able to find a good doctor....and I am sure that with time and effort....you will feel better....I would also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which is so important for a lot of us FMers....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain by itself...
Vitamin D can also affect other illnesses as well...

I am one of the FMers here.....who has learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements....I do take Prestiq for depression.....but that is the only prescription that I take....other than that, I take magnesium and malate combination supplement, Omegas, Super B Complex, Vitamin D, Calcium plus others....as I also have other health issues...

I also have chronic fatigue though....that I have not found anything at all to help me with that....and sometimes....the fatigue is worse than the pain I had in the beginning....

I am sure though that you will find something to help you cope better....it does take a "trial and error process" though....since we are all different....what works for one, may or may not work for another....

Take care and good luck....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

jroseland replied to dollbug's response:
Hello-

So sorry you are dealing with this.

A good doctor is key but you may not need to give up on the one you have. He should have warned you about the possibility of the serontonin syndrome, but he didn't necessarily prescribe the wrong meds. He probably just didn't know your particular body would react in that way. I'm actually more surprised that your pharmacist did not mention the risk of the S.S.

Many of us take meds that have the potential to cause S.S. But everyone's chemistry and dosages are different.

But if you do not feel comfortable with your doctor, definitely find a new one. It can be quite difficult to do, but worth it in the end. There may be a local support group in your area that could help you find a doctor. Often, nowadays, you can even email doctors or their offices. A few questions about their belief and treatment of FM could help you weed out the ones that don't believe in it---despite concrete scientific evidence!

I know it's so hard to do all this when you're in pain. The worst part of FM for me is the emotional toll it takes. I've had it for years and have gone through "acceptance" but I still go through rough periods. It's often hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel. But there are ways to manage the pain and I hope you can find the right combination for you!

GoldnTrieverGal replied to jroseland's response:
Thank you both so much; I was just about at the end of my tether the other day. I have talked to my dr. in detail and will give him another try. He is such a kind person; and yes, I'm pretty upset that the pharmacy didn't catch it either. I'm tapering off now, but still have extreme dizziness and overwhelming fatigue. The FM pain is coming back with a vengeance, but once my dr. is confident that the Savella is completely out of my system, we will try something else. I'm still afraid to tell anyone what is wrong with me; I'm on FMLA at work but it's so difficult to try and answer honestly when well-meaning friends and co-workers call me to get an update and ask how I am. My own family doesn't believe that FM really exists. At least on this site, I know I'm not alone and that I'm not crazy. Thank you all.

fibroinsd responded:
Hi...and welcome...I don't have much to add...I think Mimi covered it. We all react to meds differently, and obviously your doc is going to have to be very careful with you. I do know some people that have taken Savelle and other anti-depressants and have done ok...so it isn't like he did something really wrong...I am glad you talked it over with him....

Do read the tips and toolbox post...hopefully some ideas there that can help you...get your Vit. D checked, get on some good vitamins...(multi, B-Complete and D are good.)...do some stretching to get your blood moving...take a nap while you are recovering from all this...be good to yourself.

A lot of people have had problems with work/ people not understanding...just another part of FM that we have to deal with...glad you found us...I hope things at work go ok...hopefully you will start feeling better, and things will work out.
cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.