Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibro linked to PTSD?
BelPwnt posted:
The bump of the FM and Mono question prompted me to finally ask something that I've been curious about for a while.

I was diagnosed with "multiple trauma post traumatic stress disorder" nearly seven years ago. I was doing miles better when I got run over by FM. When I saw the neurologist who first diagnosed me with fibro, he asked questions about my history and then noticed the PTSD on my chart and did this big "OoooHhhh!" He went on to explain there were tentative links between FM and PTSD that were recently suggested by a military study.

He quickly caught himself and told me not to make too much of it, no one knew for sure, etc. Still, I've been curious about it. I asked a friend of mine who was working as a nurse at a VA hospital if he could find out, but he didn't get around to looking before changing jobs to the private sector.

An armchair physician friend of mine suggested it was probably because both "syndromes" affect the central nervous system and originate in the same part of the brain, but I haven't found anything to back that up. If anything, I've found that medical science is pretty clueless about both FM and PTSD (not a comment on lack of effort to understand, just that neither of them are understood yet).

Anyway, I'd love to know what other red herrings people have heard and, of course, if there is any possible link between FM and PTSD.

Thanks,
Bel

jamesii responded:
Hi, Jim here. One of the men with Fm. I have both problems, plus many others. I have never heard a dx of a connection between the 2. I am a veteran, being treated at the VA Hospital. They have never said anything about a connection.

But, I wouldn't be surprised to that being a fact. I often have drs appts. when 2 or more drs will have a dscussion about me, my symptoms, and tests. Most of it I can hear, but they often will start to whisper to keep me from hearing. At times I do hear a few of their words, but not enough to understand what they are talking about.

Case in point: I saw the Derm Dr tues. She was talking to the dept. head dr about me. They were looking at a chest exray and other tests already done. They quickly started to whisper, I heard the word granulomas. They never said what they were talking about and I didn't ask.

So, it is possible and they don't want to broadcast it as that might cause a run on applications for money and benefits by vets. They are encouraged to not give out info to help people who need benefits. I know as I have been there and heard that concerning myself.

Don't know if my ramblings have helped or not. I hope you get to feeling better.

Ark Jim

dollbug replied to jamesii's response:
Hello Jim.....MiMi in NC....and I just wanted to comment about something in your post...."they are encouraged to not give out info to help people who need benefits".....you said a mouthful....and I agree with you 100%.....so sad that our country is this way....and it is in more than just the VA part ....it is everywhere....

I got denied my worker's comp claim due to the company reason of being that I did not report it timely....I took my case all the way to Supreme Court....who elected NOT to hear it....anyway....with this being said....I must also share with you that I have several pieces of papers which were provided to me in the beginning of all of this (which has been over 5 years ago) that stated.....the company lawyer knew that there was a mistake made on my claim...that I did, in fact, notify the company within the time frame....

Now my point is this.....I appealed my worker's comp case several times....and each time no one....NO ONE PERSON, read the forms which were filled out....had they done so...they would have seen the errors which were made....and ignored, no doubt....

Anyway....I have now filed a complaint....and I will see what happens now....

I was left high and dry....had I not been married and had benefits which my husband's company provided me....I would be one of those "homeless people"....which is so very sad....
this is not how the system is suppose to work....but with attorneys who screw around with people's lives....this is how the system got so MESSED up....with attorneys who tweak and twist things up....and the only people who figure out this "crap" are the ones who do not have attorneys.....(I had one in the beginning and he decided to withdraw and I could NOT find another one to take my case) .....so I went it alone...

But.....Jim...you said a mouthful.....and I thank you for sharing this.....as it is everywhere......

I wrote on my complaint....that I was thankful that my case was not one which was based on life or death....

Take care....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.