Skip to content
Fybro and SSD
armywife1209 posted:
My husband was diagnosed with FM a month after being on Chemo. I thought the pain would all subside when he was done with chemo or that the disease was brought on by the illness. It is painfully obvious i was immature in my thoughts.Once you have FM it just dosen't go away like a cold. Try to convince that to the fine people at the New Jersey SS office. Honestly, how hard can it be to believe someone is in pain. I've got letters from 2 different doctors that he is no longer able to work. And yet the SS office has denied him. This is how our country treats our Vets. Its all a bunch of donkey doo. Can anyone gives us hints the next time we go to the SS office? These people need to understand he cannot work in the amount of pain he is in.

alispazz responded:
Dear Army wife,

I cannot tell you for sure what it takes, but I can tell you that for some reason FM is not a qualifying reason alone, I am assuming that with chemo he has cancer, is he in remission or cured?, does he have other things going on....ie most of us who have qualified have multiple issues that the system can not argue with that added together can make a job impossible if not very very difficult.

Tell your husband to go to a VA counselor and have them set him up for a major VA physical, and let the VA support staff come up with a diagnosis and prognosis that can work for SS....They can get things done faster than we mere mortals.

When he goes make sure he list everything that is wrong on the forms, and believe it or not if he is severely dyslexic, that is something that should be mention, but only if he has that form of disorder, if he has war trauma, he will need something from a military shrink that spells it out.

Hope this helps, I know its a tough battle and that it seems unfair, but that is the way our system is unfortunately.

Another thing I just thought of if the Dr have said he is unable to work that is one thing, but did they spell out in their medical opinion why they felt that way....ie sitting and or standing long periods of time cause extreme pain in the lower extremities, reaching over head can and does cause pain ect....They can't just say he can't work, they have to really spell it out and they have to say that the condition is chronic and on going....see where I am headed with this...

Again hope this helps.

Hugs to both

Ali
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....MiMi in NC.....it is the system...it is not anything that your husband has done....the system denies you for the most part at least once or twice....but if you have not done so and still have time....appeal their decision....each and every time.....we have to learn how to "play the game with them"....sorry....but this is my opinion....

I, started out with carpal tunnel problems in my right hand....filed a worker's compensation claim and it was approved and accepted....then about a year and a half or so....the left hand started giving me problems....it was also carpal tunnel....so I then filed a worker's comp claim on this hand also....well, I had surgery on Dec 13 and was laid off on Dec 15.....and they denied my worker's comp by stating that I failed to notify the company within the 2 year limit...now...I will also tell you this....I went through each and every appeal....got to Supreme Court....and asked for a review of it and got denied....now...funny thing is this....I have 2 letters which prove that I did indeed notify the company in a timely manner...and the letters are from the company's attorney to the insurance company....

I had an attorney in the beginning...who happened to mess up my paperowork....whether it was on purpose or accidential I do not know...but he then withdrew from my case....and I tried to find another attorney to help me appeal....could not find any one who wanted to do this...so I went alone on this journey...

Got to the Supreme Court....but my point is this....not one person during all of my appeals ever once looked at the paperwork....because had they done so...they could have spotted the error themselves....as I pointed in out in each and every appeal....

My point is this....it is not only SSD....it is the government itself and everything that they touch....I think they have people who work for them that work just to get a paycheck....they could care less what they do to people's lives....you are so right....the system is so very badly broken....

I would also bet this....that the people who have denied his disability.....do NOT have medical degrees....and do not know what kind of pain he is in....(again, my opinion)

Yes....I will tell you that I would be talking to someone about this....when I got denied....I sat down and sent a letter to my local representative.....and you must keep on keeping on until you get to where you need to be....let me assure you...that it is left up to you and your husband to fight for the SSD....because those people do not have a clue....show them that you are NOT giving up.....eventually they will approve him....and if he is close to 50....they have to consider this also.....as this makes a difference....

And you are correct....FM has no cure....I think your husband has been through enough....being a cancer survivor and he does not need any other stress on him....

Prayers and thoughts are with you both....

Good luck and take care.....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

hisfaithful1 responded:
Armywife, Hi, Iknow how difficult this must be for you and your husband. I have just applied this past august, and am anticipating being turned down.

I want to tell you one thing which may help. Go to disabilitysecrets.com. The man who has this site use to work for the SS. He now tries to help people with getting approved for disability. When you go there, scroll down to the bottom of the first page, and there should be printable forms you can print and take it to his doctor, its about 7 or 8 pages, called a medical source statement. It allows the doctor to show in detail what all your husband can and cannot do.

I actually made 2 copies and filled one out as honestly as I could, and took them both to my doctor. He was glad I had filled one out as it helped him, since some of the questions would be a bit hard for the doctor to know the answer to and he filled the empty one out, then it can be sent to SS. I've been told this can really make a difference!

I hope this helps, and please let us know how things turn out.

We do care here, and I pray it goes well for you and your husband.

Blessings

Debbie

armywife1209 replied to alispazz's response:
Thank you Ali for ur response, And to answer your question he has also been diagnosed with PTSD,and his muscle in one leg has depleted. He must use help when walking but refuses. We have a pool and says thats his only relief because he is weightless.
The VA Drs have basically told him he dosen't have much longer to be mobile. He cannot sit, stand and even walk. He can't pick up his kids or even take them for a walk. He has gotten much stronger since he has been off of the chemo (he is in remission-pancreatic tumor). But still in a lot of pain. He is in physically therapy but comes home in more pain then when he left. All i guess i can do is stay by his side and keep trying.
THANK A VET TODAY.
Thanks again Ali

armywife1209 replied to Dollbug's response:
Hi MiMi,
Ur entitled to ur opinion and i agree with you. Its all a game. It just takes the right amount of UMPH!! to get what you want. We will appeal and hopefully get some type of help. We have two young children and its hard for my daughter to see daddy like this. (she's a daddy's girl). But he puts up a strong front. Its at the end of the day he goes crashing down.
Thanks
Victoria

armywife1209 replied to hisfaithful1's response:
Thank you so much Debbie any little help is a huge help especially when its not as recognizable as other diseases are. I will look into it and keep you posted.

Thanks
Victoria

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
374 of 401 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.