Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
stinging and burning leg pain
hurla11 posted:
I have had burning and stinging leg pain for 10 months. It all happened a week after returning from CA while I was on the treadmill running on an incline and suffered from cartilage contusions, joint effusion, partially torn meniscus. I wasn't able to kneel, do stairs, squat. I am able to do those things now with caution, and just recently started doing cardio again. I have seen a rheumatologist, neurologist,2 orthopedists, pcp, had xrays, mri's of both knees.
The orthopedist diagnosed me with patellafemoral syndrome, rec. PT, tried it once and she torqued it and made it worse so I've been doing the seated leg press on my own and lots of stretching.
The other orthopedist didn't agree with him, said that i have range of motion and strength in my quads so he ordered 6 blood tests. The lyme test was negative but that was the only tickborn disease i've been checked for (I work at an emegency vet hospital and am exposed to ticks). I do have the HLA-B27 antigen in my blood (poss linked with Reiters syndrome or ankylosing spondylitis) but the rheumatologist didn't find anything signficant and came to no conclusions at my appt.
I had elevated levels of mercury last fall/winter/spring. My level is normal now. All my other bloodwork including a T4 is normal, my obgyn labwork was all normal as well.
I requested the rheumatologist to put me on prednisone (10mg, once a day for a week) to try to rule out an immune issue, but I did not respond to the pred. I had my PCP put me on antibiotics (sulfamethoxazole) for a week to try to rule out infection (or strep, my sister was a carrier and had severe joint pain when she was little). At first I felt like I responded a little to the antibiotics, but it could have been placebo. A few weeks later, I got bitten by a dog and was put on sulfamethoxazole and clindamycin for 10 days. The leg pain did not get better during this time.
The neurologist checked my legs and a spot on my lower back and found no abnormalities, wrote me a script for an MRI of my lower back which I have not used yet because he didn't think we'd find anything. Maybe I should have it done. He doesn't think it is fibromyalgia.
I have a history of depression, and exercise is my outlet and I am unable to so I've become pretty depressed about the whole leg situation and dealing with the intermittent stinging and burning pain. I started Wellbutrin XL less than 2 months ago, wondering if my mood will have an effect on my legs. When my legs feel good, I am so happy and when they feel bad, I'm miserable. What comes first, the chicken or the egg, I don't know.
Tramadol (half tab) and NSAIDS do not touch the pain, that's why I thought it was nerves because it hurts exactly where the nerves are in my legs but they tested normal. I take a muscle relaxer before bed occassionally and that seems to sort of help the leg pain, or is it because I am laying in bed, i don't know. Ice does not help, heat helps a little with the sensation.
I have lost a lot of muscle strength in my legs, but I am doing cardio (the arch trainer, like the elliptical machine) but I do it really hard ont he days my legs feel good and sometimes the following day I will pay the price with the stinging pain, but it doesn't feel like muscle pain.
I feel so lost and have to do the research on my own which is very frustrating. If you have ANY suggestions please let me know. Thank you.
Adrienne

jamesii responded:
Hi Adrienne, Jim here. I am one of the men on this psot with fibro. I also have had a lot damage done to my knees over the years. But,other than stiffness in my right knee, I had no burning until about 10 -12 years ago.

I have had test after test on my legs. Osteoarthritis is the only pain effector found. I have 2 knee caps on my right knee.

My problem is that my skin burns almost all the time. Sometimes so bad that I pass out in the summertime. Only remedy for that is cold wash cloths on my face and neck. The dr is testing me for porphyria as I was exposed to agent orange in VietNam. So far, no answers.

I was told by allergy dr recently that people who take aspirin can have that problem. I take 1 every other day for my blood circulation. I have stopped that for a few weeks to see if it has any effect on the burning.

Sorry, but the aches, burning, and weakness in our legs is related to or caused by fibro. Several drs have already told me that. I also read a bulletin sent out by WebMd that said the same thing.

I hope you find some relief for your problem. Please come back and let us know your dx and solutions as they may help us.

Ark Jim

God Bless: When God blesses, He blesses all the way.

petal2010 responded:
I have had Fibromyalgia for eight years. Several years ago I startedI having the burning pain just above my left knee. When I would stand for a period of time it would get so bad that it felt as if something extrememly hot was being poured on my leg. The area that was burning also felt numb to touch. The burning lasted for months, however, it has left for now. I still have the numb area which never leaves. I don't know what caused this but I certainly would like too.

Have you been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia? If you have you cannot overwork your body. I went shopping Thursday and my feet hurt so bad I could hardly walk. I have been in bed and slept for two days. I feel a little better but still feel very tired.

The unknown and pain are a vicious cycle. Don't give up you may find an answer that will help you and many others. Good luck.
petal2010 John 3:16

An_199425 replied to petal2010's response:
I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia .I can hardly walk at times and my hands hurt so bad that I can hardly hold anything or open cans. The right hand stays swollen all the time along with my right leg. The stinging and burning is unbearable at times. I refuse to shake hands with people because I can't stand to be touched it is so painful All the meds that my doctor has tired to treat me with do not help. I refuse to believe that this is what is wrong with me. They have tired to tell me that this is all psychological but I would like them to explain the swelling and the nerve ending stinging in my hands, back and legs.

hurla11 replied to An_199425's response:
The rheumatologist and neurologist said they do not believe that it is fibromyalgia. I dont really know a lot about it, but it seems to be worse when I am stressed. Or am I stressed because it is worse, I don't know. I cut out all aspartame about 6 weeks ago because that can mimic fibromyalgia signs and cause chronic pain. The only other thing that I do differently than most people is that I use a lot of "I can't believe it's not butter spray" which i stopped last week and I just started drinking milk for the first time in 14 yrs, but I take calcium plus d and my calcium level was normal (not sure ab bone density, but they didn't mention any concerns after my xrays about that). My stinging and burning is on the inside of my legs, not my skin... sounds like yours is your skin, that's gotta be an awful feeling. I may try cymbalta anyway to see if that does anything, I heard that it may help with fibromyalgia. At this point, i'll try anything.

granny4_10 replied to hurla11's response:
I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia also. I have a weird numbing, stinging, burning sensation on my left leg from the knee going almost up to the thigh. Sometimes it burns and stings so bad it is hard to sleep. My doctor diagnosed this as meralgia paresthetica. I also take Tramadol for pain along with a bunch of other meds for migraine, vertigo, arthritis and narcolepsy. All of this is really beginning to get me down and I am really tired of hurting all of the time.

xperky replied to hurla11's response:
Hi hurla11 - Sorry you are in so much pain! It's very frustrating to try to diagnose yourself. For over two years I was searching for the cause of my suffering and boiled it down to a few possibilities, FM being one. Lots of info out there to search through.

One thing about FM is the pains are usually located in all four quadrants of the body, and they can move around from one place to another. There is also a list of many other concurrent symptoms (depression is one), and the probability of multiple "tender points."

I see you are looking for causes for your pain. It's good to eliminate the possible toxins from your diet, as you are doing.

You may want to try yet another opinion on your knees. There might still be a problem there from your injury. There may also be a treatment for your knees that wouldn't treat your whole body unnecessarily, like FM meds do. Lots of us FMers have knee pain, but the converse is unusual.

In any case, go ahead and read all about FM and see if it "fits" you! I certainly hope you find out you do not have FM! Non of us would wish it on anyone else, that's for sure.

I hope some info we give here helps you on your quest.
Margaret

hoping4answers responded:
Hi Hurla11,
I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping you'll get this email. My twin sister has EXACTLY the same symptom profile as you do, and is desperately searching for answers. I'm wondering/hoping if you've gotten any answers, or found something (a med?) that helps?
Thanks so much and all the best to you.

pujguj responded:
hey i know that you have put this post up three years ago but have you ever considered meralgia paresthetica - i have it and it is seems very similar pain to what you are describing here. you need to do hip openers (stretches) and to give you relief ask for gabapentin as a drug - it really works for me. good luck.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
363 of 390 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.