Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dr P, I would like your input, please, I think this is important.
hisfaithful1 posted:

This is an update from a previous question a few days ago, so you can ignore the earlier post to you from me.

I had been taking two 50mgs 3 times a day of Tramadol, for 5 months. Because of some unpleasent side effects, one of them is anything else I've tried to take along with the Tramadol causes terrible nausea. And I have had Serotonin Syndrome also, talk about sick! So my pcp gave me Tylenol3/Codeine

My pcp told me to take the Tylenol3/Codeine when it was time for, and in place of my next Tramadol.

When I did this after about the 2nd or 3rd dose of codeine I began to go downhill like a speedracer! Instead of feeling better I began having cold chills, alternating with being really hot and sweaty, hurting all over, zero energy, I woke up feeling terribly depressed too, I felt worse than I did on any fibro flare!

The sudden physical and mental changes were overwelming!

I did not understand why the Codeine didn't seem to be helping at all. In fact I had hoped it may even prove to be better at managing my pain.

Now I had never taken anything stronger than Ibuprophen till the fibro, bad disks, and arthritis came along, and I'm 54 now.

Even so it doesn't take a genius to recognize I was in withdrawal! It seems my body is dependent on Tramadol.

I know Tramadol is not considered a narcotic, but after a little research I found many people that claim they went through terrible withdrawals from it just like me.

I could not stand how horrific I felt, and told my DH I thought the only thing that would help right now, is to take some Tramadol, he readily agreed as he could tell I was really suffering. After two seperate doses of tramadol throughout the day, the terrible symptoms gradually decreased.

Needless to say, I am sooo relieved I'm feeling back to normal.

Please tell me what you think. I'm wondering if my pcp should have had me titrate down from the Tramadol? The manufacturers do not say it can be habit forming, but I, and many others beg to differ.

What say you Dr P ?

Thank you for listening, and being here.

Debbie
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jroseland responded:
Hello-

I was on Tramadol but my body got too used to it and I didn't receive any benefit. I recently went off of it but I gradually withdrew and I did okay. I too 3 pills of 50 mgs per day. So I first subtracted just one quarter of one pill, then one quarter of two pills, so on. Then I started again taking only half, so on. In all, it took me a few weeks to go off it.

I would have had horrible withdrawals if I didn't do it this way and I'm relieved that it worked.

hisfaithful1 replied to jroseland's response:
I'm really glad you knew better than to just stop it all at once.

If a drug is not supposed to be addictive, like Tramadol, why would you go through all those awful symptoms?

Thanks for your input.

Now if this will actually post. I have written so many that never show up. I hate that, especially on top of everything else.

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Debbie,

The medicine issues you mentioned seem complicated. You should discuss any concerns about your medicines or reactions to medicines with your treating doctor. Sorry I'm not able to clarify anything for you in this forum.

Dr. P

jroseland replied to hisfaithful1's response:
In my experience, with some doctors, is that what the drug companies tell them symptoms or side-effects of drugs are and what actually happens in real life is quite different.

I learned the hard way that a good approach (for me) is to research what other people go through on meds. Usually, if you just google the name of a drug, you'll get general descriptions (often the same information you'll get from the pharmancy). But if you google the name of the med, then something like "forum" you can get real experiences. Of course, not everyone is the same and all of us will react differently. But I think it gives a broader range of research.

I've also read that many people experience horrible side-effects from withdrawals from Tramadol. Think how valuable it is for drug companies to market a non-opiate "non addiAnd now you know that you have them personally!

I'm always a little nervous to post about meds, so I'll leave the following disclosure: I am not a medical professional and the above is purely personal experience.

hisfaithful1 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
I understand, and thanks for responding.

I did figure out the Tramadol is not something you can just stop all at once. The sad thing is many people are prescribed Tramadol without being told what may possibly happen to them when ever they stop taking it.

Thanks Dr P

annette030 responded:
My experience with tramadol is that the info the pharmacy gave me with it said that one should taper off of it slowly. There are many drugs other than narcotic pain meds that require tapering or a doctors supervision while one is going off of it. Many people have complained of withdrawals with Paxil and Klonopin for example.

Please remember that withdrawals do not indicate addiction, only dependence. Addiction is a compulsion to take a medicine for other than its prescribed purpose in spite of negative consequences.

I took tramadol 100 mg. once a day for breakthrough pain for many years, when I stopped taking it, I did not go through withdrawals at all. I can certainly understand that you did at the dose and frequency you were using it. My husband tapered off of methadone for pain fairly quickly and did not have any withdrawals at all.

Since everyone goes through withdrawals, or not, differently, I suspect your doctor though the substitution of Tyl. with Codeine #3 would work for you. I am sorry it didn't.

Take care, Annette

hisfaithful1 replied to annette030's response:
Thanks for the reply Annette.

I know and agree with you about the difference between addiction and dependence. Tramadol is also the first regular pain medcine I've ever been on. Before this past year the strongest thing I took was Ibuprophen. How quickly our lives can change!

I hate it, but at the same time know it helps me through each day. One good thing has come out of this, I have gotten myself of late to try my best to only take 4 a day instead of the 6. I know less is better in the long term. If I need the third dose I wont stress about it, but be glad it's there.

God bless

Debbie

1wareaglefan replied to hisfaithful1's response:
Hey, Debbie...I've been following this discussion, because I'm interested in what meds work for others. My pain reliever, darvocet, was banned on Friday! I was only taking it once or twice a day, but now I'll have to contact my doctor about what else to try.

I'd tried tramadol a few years ago, and it made me very nauseous, so I didn't think I wanted to try it again. How's the tylenol with codeine working? Have you started it yet?

Thanks for responding......Elizabeth

annette030 replied to hisfaithful1's response:
Do whatever you need to do to get through life with as little pain as possible.

I try and re-evaluate my meds every six months or so, and often end up changing or stopping some.

Take care, Annette

hisfaithful1 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Hi Elizabeth, Yes I heard about Darvon and Darvacet, it's puzzling to me, I remember when I gave birth ( almost 30 years ago) I was given Darvon, and it worked really well with no side affects.

I was actually hoping my doctor would give me one of those, because they have been around awhile.

The tylenol w/codeine made me really nauseous, so I'm back to square one. Did you try the Tramadol with milk or food? Sometimes that can help alot with the nausea.

Anyway I really hope you find something that works. The Tramadol is really helpful with my all over pain from the fibro, unfortunatly I have this weird reaction whenever I try to take anything else with it, it is really frustrating because I even tried taking an ant- nausea med so I can take a sleeping pill at night, but I start having symptoms of Seratonin Syndrome, which is really bad, it makes me feel awful, almost like I have taken poison!

One thing I have not tried is the codeine with the anti-nausea, so I'm thinking of trying that, but then I'm stuck taking something for a side affect. Honestly if I didn't have the Lord in my life giving me the strength to get by each day I would really be a mess.

I'd really like to hear how things turn out for you, so please keep us posted. I pray you can find a pain med that will help as well as the darvacet.

Blessings
Debbie

1wareaglefan replied to hisfaithful1's response:
Hey, Debbie...thanks for your response. I'm sorry the tylenol #3 didn't work. I guess you took it with food? Don't you hate having to deal with all these issues?! Maybe you could take 1/2 and get used to it. You should probably ask the pharmacist if you can break it.

I'd tried tramadol years ago, and I think I took it with food. But I also take an antidepressant, and I'm concerned about the serotonin syndrome, too.

I've got a call in to my doctor and waiting to see what he says. He generally lets me suggest things....he's known me for about 25 years, and he knows I do a lot of reading about symptoms and medications!

I agree with you....I desperately need the Lord each and every day to make it. But isn't it great that He's always there and gives us the strength we need?

Have a great day.....Elizabeth

hisfaithful1 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Elizabeth,

Just want to tell you, well, you probably already know this because you said you read up on meds and symptons, but just in case. I have read almost everything about seratonin syndrome, and it is rare. Then again it is always good to lean on the side of caution.

You are blessed to have a good relationship with your doctor, where I go, it's a medical center, they change doctors every 6 months or so.

I hate being stuck with the tramadol, because I cannot even take a lousy sleep aid with it. I see what Dr P meant, my situation is complicated! In order to even try a half dose of codeine, I know I would have to get totally off the tramadol.

Oh well, I'm sure I will figure something out. The doctor thats there now thinks everyone is out to get high. It's like they throw the baby out with the bathwater though, some are out to get high, and some like me only want to have a decent quailty of life.

Please let me know what you wind up trying, and I'll update whenever something happens with me.

I'm so glad to hear you also are a believer in the Lord.

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

Blessings

Debbie

nylonanny replied to hisfaithful1's response:
Hi Debbie,
I certainly agree with you and the other folk about the tramadol...went through it and my doc has me on Cymbalta! I say you can only feel so good about yourpain. I also have osteoarthritis and barretts esophagus, so I cannot take any NSAIDS or aspirin at all. Cymbalta helps with the worst of it about 60% of the time.
We can do all things!

Ruthann

hisfaithful1 replied to nylonanny's response:
Ruthann, Like you I can no longer take anything w/aspirin or nsaids. I took advil for many years for back pain, then found through a routine blood test that my kidney function was lower than it should be, so no more ibuprophen.

I'm glad the cymbalta helps some. Of course we will always have to deal with pain, there are no miracle cures.

Yes, we can do all things, endure all things, and be more than conquerers through Christ!

Blessings

Debbie

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.