Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Attend Medical School??? advice please!!
medstudent2015 posted:
Hi There,
I was supposed to go off to medical school this past July. However, I decided to take a year off from school and address some medical issues. While in my undergraduate career, I simply attributed the fatigue, pain and chronic headaches to stress. Deep down, I've known that something wasn't right for a couple of years now. I was so busy in college that I didn't take the time to really address what was going on. Well, it turns out I have FM. My question is this: Do you think I'll be able to make it through medical school and three years of residency (family medicine)???

deal14 responded:
I dont know personally what else you have going on and what you do currently for your FM. I have other chronic pain condtions alongside my FM and I do all natural things since all the medications dont work well with me.

I am probably in your age range and was faced with a similar situation a couple years back. I was going to have to take out a student loan to go to college and my mom pointed out to me that if my health keeps getting worse how do I expect to always be in class, or to be at work enough to do a residency or pay back my loan.... things are things that made me realize that I wanted to take a break and get my health in check before doing all of that or find a different career that would be better suited for me and I can go back if I want later if I am ever better. I took my "core" classes that you pretty much need to anything(english,etc). Currently I am not able to work and in the meantime I got married... my health has gotten worse and while I wish I couldve pursued my dreams I am glad I dont have some huge student loan that I cannot pay back or that I am not overstressing as much as I wouldve been because Im sure I would be worse off.

Its more of a question for you... even though these are your goals... what happens if you dont get better? Will you be able to continue doing this job or that much school? I hope I didnt bum you out but these are things I had to figure out, I think I am on my way now(finally!) to getting my health together and hopefully I can get my career back on track in a year or two.

vinnie02 responded:
Hi there!! Just wanted to drop you a line to encourage you not to give up on your dream's...You won't know unless you try and if you don't will you alway's regret it?

Have you worked with your Dr. to get pain/fatigue/headaches under control? I am not saying do it, because I dont know completely your situation. Just would hate to see you not able to fulfill your deam.

But in the end you are truly the only one who can answer that question. I hope that you get the answer and that you can find what work's for you to help with FM....Good luck and God bless!!!

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome......MiMi in NC.....only you can know if you are up to taking on the challenge of going to med school or not....I hope Dr. P will chime in here....as he has accomplised this....

I do hope that you have learned how to cope with FM....and how to pace and not cross the line.....

I also think that good doctors are needed.....and those who truly understand the needs of people who are sick....and can not help it.....the wrath of the dragon, aka FM....is a mean and ugly illness to say the least....

I hope that you will decide what is best for you in this situation and I hope that you will be able to fulfill your dream....

Take care and good luck....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

medstudent2015 replied to Dollbug's response:
hey all:
thanks for the response. It means a lot me :)
I really hope Dr. P. gives his input here, as well.
It is my biggest dream in life to become a doctor, and I have finally reached the point, academically, where that is possible. Thankfully, the medical school I chose has allowed me to defer for a year and I have a guaranteed seat in July. I truly hope that I am able to get everything to a manageable point. Any other input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the FM world and am slightly disheartened by the daily struggle it's showing itself to be.

medstudent2015 responded:
hey all:
thanks for the response. It means a lot me
I really hope Dr. P. gives his input here, as well.
It is my biggest dream in life to become a doctor, and I have finally reached the point, academically, where that is possible. Thankfully, the medical school I chose has allowed me to defer for a year and I have a guaranteed seat in July. I truly hope that I am able to get everything to a manageable point. Any other input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the FM world and am slightly disheartened by the daily struggle it's showing itself to be.

jamesii responded:
Hi, one of the men on this site with fibro. I have suffered with this crud for over 40 years: chronic fatigue, weakness, aches, pains, and related health problems. During most of those years as I was focused on something worth doing I didn't notice the problem as much.

After finally retiering because of it, plus PTSD from wartime in VietNam, I can still do a lot of things. I notice that as long as I am doing things and not lieing around, I feel better.

My advice, give it your best shot. Med school and residency may be the best meds for you. I am always telling my dr if he could feel the same pain I feel he would totally understand my problem.

What a blessing it would be for your patients to be able to truly say," I have fibro and I do feel your pain."

God bless you, I know you would do great as a dr. Don't let the dragon totally defeat you. Who knows, you may be the one to pioneer meds and treatments to better us all.

God bless, Ark Jim

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
I happen to think some of the most compassionate and helpful doctors are those who have experienced medical or disability challenges themselves, and have successfully dealt with them. Even though one doesn't get rid of FM, it can be dealt with successfully. I hope your dream of becoming a PCP motivates you even more to learn about your FM and find success in dealing with it. Then you can use your success with managing FM to motivate yourself through medical school and residency because there are a lot of future patients out there who need your help!

Medical school isn't easy, but it's fun and rewarding. Getting FM under control is probably the hardest part"026then the rest of it should be a breeze! I know a number of doctors, me included, who have been able to practice successfully despite having FM. I would be thrilled to have you join our club in about 8 years!

I may be retired by then, but come look for me someplace warm and dry!

Dr. P

ValarieW77 responded:
Hello there medstudent2015

I did not go to medical school but I did go to school for Massage Therapy after my dx with Fibromyalgia. I did this mainly for the purpose of helping others like me out there coping and dealing with chronic pain on a everyday basis like us. This dx encouraged me to do more with myself and to prove to myself that I can do anything I put my mind AND BODY to ! Yes I have bad days, yes i have to struggle to get through them but I work with my illness and do what I can do. I want to encourage you to NEVER give up on your dreams no matter what. Do what your heart tells you too and you will find yourself doing so much good in life.

The best to you and your journey
Valarie :)

medstudent2015 responded:
Thanks again for all encouraging replies
I truly believe that discussing this issue with others is helping conquer not only the symptoms, but my fears for future because of FM.
I'm taking a couple of classes this spring to keep my brain juices flowing. Hopefully I'll feel better than I did for much of my undergraduate career.
Thanks again, everyone. My goals have not changed, in large part to your encouragements. I am planning on going to Phoenix for med school in July :)

jroseland replied to medstudent2015's response:
Just another bit of encouragement:

Although it sounds like you've had symptoms for awhile, it also sounds like you discovered your FM relatively quickly. Often, if people do not go years with untreated FM, they are more likely to be able to control their FM once they begin treatment. I am someone who's young (28) but have had pain and FM for most of my life. I didn't have any kind of treatment until just a couple years ago. Although I have some pain managment strategies, I always have pain and fatigue. However, I know quite a few people with FM that can go months or even years with less severe symptoms. Usually, it's because they were diagnosed quickly and received treatment early on.

I've definitely had to change some life plans because of the FM but I try to not let it stop me too much and I truly believe that if I had been treated earlier, I would not be so affected by it now. It's awesome you've decided to pursue schooling. With the right treatment and knowledge, I'm sure you'll do fine.

And I know most of us would love having a doctor that is as compassionate as you surely will be!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.