Skip to content
No relief
sis3232001 posted:
I am currently taking Gabapentin 900mg 3x a day and 10mg flexeril @ bedtime. I just don't feel any relief. I am still in severe pain and absolutely exhausted. I have tried over the counter meds such as tylenol and advil. I've actually taken more of those then I should trying to find relief. Can you give me any suggestions or tell me how I get my doc to understand this isn't working? The fatigue has gotten so bad that I am drinking massive amounts of energy drinks to even function. Help Please.

fibroinsd responded:
Hi Sis...and welcome...

To answer your question..You are just going to have to call and talk to the doc...he may want to up the amount or try another med.

Please go to the section to the side...and read the Tips section...look for the toolbox post...it has ideas of things, such as using a heating pad that you can do to help yourself.

Have you had your vit D. checked??? Sometimes that can make a big difference. Make sure you are taking some good vitamins. I take a multi, a D, and a B100-COMPLETE each day..oh yes and a magnesium at night.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Dairyl responded:
Hi,

The energy drinks are not helping the situation. Fibromyalgia is a complex syndrome, but one thing I have learned is that sugar and caffeine make the problem worse.

I myself am going through a very bad flare up. Hang in there!

I do understand completely.

Hugs to you.......from me.....

Dairyl

angelldakota responded:
Hi Sis... Welcome... I am sorry you are having a hard time... Pain is hard to deal with and fatigue just makes it worse I think...

I would call your Dr. and see what he has to say... Maybe a different med... or an up in meds... Vitamin D check but you will have to ask for it for it isn't a usual test... And remember... you should give at least 6 to 8 weeks for new meds or treatments to work...

Reading the resources and tools on the right should give you some ideas to help and maybe some will work...

I use meditation , imagery, and self hypnosis to help my pain a lot... I imagine going to my favorite places and watching quiet streams... or watching the wind blow thru trees in a forest... I listen to soft music... and close my eyes and breathe in and say "re"... and out and say "lax"...
"relax"

If you want more information on it please just ask... I am here to help any time... Just put my name in the subject bar... Jan...

I hope you feel better real soon...

take care... bless you... luv.. jan/angelldakota

An_199518 responded:
Just wanted to let you know that I took Gabapentin and it did nothing for me. I then switched to Lyrica and it did everything for me.

The nerve pain that I was experiencing all over my body is almost completely gone.

I feel better during the day and sleep better at night.

If you have not tried Lyrica, I think you should give it a try!

1wareaglefan responded:
Hey, Sis, and welcome! I'm sorry you're suffering so with the pain. Believe me, we understand! If it were me, I'd be in touch with my doctor and be totally honest and up front with him. I'd keep talking to him until he found something to give me relief.

I don't know how long you've been on flexeril, but when I tried to take it, it made me too tired to function the next day. I certainly don't mind calling my doctor's office and telling them, "this just isn't working...what can we try next?"

Good luck! Elizabeth

dollbug responded:
Hello Sis and welcome.....MiMi in NC....sorry that you are now finding any relief yet....since we are all different....it does take a trial and error process to figure out just what your body needs to help your pain....you need to tell your doctor that what you have tried is not helping you.....

I would also encourage you to be sure and ask the doctor to check your Vitamin D level....low Vitamin D is common for a lot of people these days....and not only for us FMers....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain....and it also affects other illnesses as well....it is a simple blood test....but YOU MUST ASK the doctor to run it....as it is not included in the normal bloodwork that they do...

I have also tried different kinds of medicine....but did not find anything that really helped me without side effects....so I am one of the FMers here who learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements....now...I will also tell you that it took me a long time to figure out just what I needed....but I finally got a good combination, for the most part....I take magnesium and malate combination supplement, Omegas, Super B Complex, Vitamin D, Calcium plus others....as I also have other health issues....

I also have the chronic fatigue....which seems to be common in some of those of us who have met the wrath of the dragon, aka FM...I have not found anything to help me with this though....but I am still trying to find something...

I would also encourage you to be sure and check out the info under "Tips" and "Resources" to the right of this page...be sure and check out the "member toolbox" and "nutrition and vitamins".....the more you learn about FM...you will find out so many things that might help...but only you will know when you have found something that helps...

I am sure that you will soon find something that will help you cope better....we FMers must keep on keeping on....until we find what we are looking for....

I hope you will post often, ask questions, make comments or suggestions....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

momhusky responded:
Dear Sis,
I think we all understand your fustration, and I have to say that finding the right doctor is really important. I have truly been lucky in that department at least. My family doctor is not only wonderful, he has really tried to educate himself in this area, by attending seminars and reading up on Fibro. Though during these cold months nothing seems to help me. The one thing that has saved my life was when I started having Fibro Fog, I didn't know what was happening to me. I had just started going back to school at 51 years old, due to the factory I had been working at moving over seas. I started feeling like I would fall asleep just driving to class, I could barely stay awake during lec. and it even got so bad that I could sleep for 36 hrs. straight and still awake as tired as I was before I fell asleep. I explained this to my doctor and he knew immed. that I had Fibro Fog. Something I had never heard of . He orginally prescrip. 1 36 mg. Concerta a day, which I must say was like a miracle, only it didn't last but for like 4 or 5 hours, so I returned to my doctor and after a fight with my insurance company he increased it to 2 Concertas a day. I have to warn you also that he told me that when I said about trying the energy drinks and 5hr. energy he told me that was a bad idea for people with Fibro. because Caff. has a tendancy to increase muscle pain. I don't know what Gabapentin is but I have taken flexerial which helped, but I now take xanax at bedtime, Cymbalta, Concerta during the day and Tramadol as needed for pain. I use to take Ibuprofen for pain but for some reason I am now allergic( was hospitalized) thought I was dying throat swelled up, couldn't breath, had very deep hives from head to toe. But my doctor thinks that is just the chemestry of my body changing. I have to say that he also checked my vit. D-3 level which was so low that he had me come in for a shot then put me on a prescrip. of D-3 10,000 mg. twice a day. in 2 mo. I will have it check again hopefully to lower. I have low Vit. B-12 also which I get a shot once a month, and due to exterm. shoulder - neck pain, I have to have trigger point shots very 4-6 wks. So, as you can see Fibro is very difficult to digno. but also to treat. Even with all this, I have days where I can't get any relieve especially during the winter months. Yet, I still feel better than before they figured out what I had, then I have to admit I actually thought that I had to be crazy, because I would go one day crying because my shoulders and arms hurt so bad that I couldn't stand it, then would wake up and it would be my neck and head, then a couple of days later, I couldn't even walk it hurt so bad. I thought I had to be a hyercon. But my doctor did a full work up, with Cat scan, MRI w/with out dye everything to rule out all other possibilities, then explained it was fibro. My family I think still thought I was crazy until we were at Subway to get sandwiches to go, because I said I hurt to bad to cook or to stay there to eat and while at counter paying for our order, I had the worst pain every and it was so bad that it actually caused me to pass out. The subway called an ambulance, because I also hit my head on counter as I went down and I hit it hard on their floor. Now, when I say I am in so terrible pain, they believe me, I have since pasted out five or six more times. So, please find a doctor that actually understands the effects of Fibro and understands the different treatments. I know that one of the Nurse Practicianer @ my doctors office actually thought I was just an old (I am 52) druggie. My doctor was out and I went in to get something for the pain before my doctor found out it was Fibro, and she refused to give me anything, after looking at my previous records, where it was in a different place (the pain) everytime I came in. She is now Gone. I wish you the best of luck and may God Bless you !

jroseland replied to momhusky's response:
Hello-
I have taken gabapentin in the past and did not have great results and it contributed, along with another medication, to a 30 pound weight gain. Gabapentin and Lyrica (pregabalin) are often prescribed but I've found that many people don't get relief from either of them. Of course, plenty of people do, but they are definitely not the end all, be all for all people. There are other meds to try, as others have mentioned. Don't let your doctor box you in with meds--if something doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Most of us have had to try many different combinations. It can be a very difficult process but it is worth it in the end!

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 214 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.