Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do you have spinal problems?
An_199546 posted:
I have read a lot of posts in this community and it seems like many of you indicate that you have some sort of spinal issue!

Please reply and share your spinal problems! It can be cervical, thorasic, or lumbar spine issues. It can be a past injury, current injury, or something like degenerative disc disease.

I have had spinal pain since I was 20, I'm now 50. I have cervical spine pain and headaches (have not yet seen a doctor), I have thorasic spine pain (recieve steroid epidural injections every 3 months) , and I have continued daily lumbar spine pain (have had 4 surgeries and fused in 3 levels)

Some of this is due to injury but most is due to Degenerative Disc Disease.

I am so curious to see how many of you, also, have spinal problems.

1wareaglefan responded:
Hello.....I have had pain in my neck for many years, possibly resulting from whiplash injury. I have bone spurs, thinning, and arthritis. In my lumbar region, I had surgery for a ruptured disc about 18 years ago. Now I have scar tissue and arthritis. I also have a bulging disc.

I've gotten 2 injections in my neck that have significantly helped. Unfortunately, they don't last forever!

Take care....Elizabeth

feelSOold replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Hi Liz, I had a whiplash injury from an assalt 2007. I am diagnosed as bi-polar, a mental case in itself with fibro, I am on SS. I'm 48 with an 11 year old. I have been sleeping for the past month or two. I wake up for an hour or so in "the fog", just to P and sometimes eat. I can't stay awake although I want to, need to. Post menopausal, Horomone patch, excessive sweating and I drink about 6 beers a day. I'm on 11 pills (including suppliments). I have had every test known to man. Just got a new Doc, I moved south. Right now, my shoulders and hands hurt, my back and feet, too. I just had sudden wakefulness from 9pm till now 12 so far. I am so weird. Getting the fog rolling back in, crap. More tests on the 16th. I'll be at the dr. from 9 'til 3. Pulmonary. I had a lump on my boob and they biopsied. Talk about pain and fear. Now they want to do it again. My boyfriend is diabetic with Hep C. well anyway I checked my sugar and it was 84. WHAT the Heck is going on with me??? Sorrry about the bulging disk, OUCH!

angelldakota responded:
Hi Anon...

I too have spinal problems throughout my spine... It started in my lower back with herniations and sciatica... moved to my neck with bone and disc deterioration disease... and a herniation and bulging discs... Lately it moved into the rest of my back... With bulging discs and curving... and the bine and disc disease is thruout my back now and into my tail bone and base of my head... and there is arthritus thruout it too...

I am going thru epidurals again soon I hope but my new pain management Dr has his doubts that they will help anymore... Right now we are looking at the carpal tunnel surgery first and getting me medicated better,,, in hopes that some of the pain will be alleviated...

My jaw also has the bone disease and is deteriorating... My teeth are sinking into my gums...

I sometimes think I am the wicked witch and someone thru some water on me lol... lol... lol...

I know sick joke but if you don't joke then you probably fall apart... and I don't need any help there lol...

take care... bless you... luv.. jan/angelldakota

jroseland replied to angelldakota's response:
I've had back problems since childhood and began seeing a chiropractor at the age of 10. I have scoliosis and some degeneration in my neck. I am now only 28!

I also believe I have had FM since childhood. Since I have never had a physical or an emotional trauma I have to believe both conditions are genetic. I also believe that the back problems have contributed to the FM problems. Maybe those problems are really what confused my nervous system and made it interpret pain incorrectly. Since I had pain at such a young age, I didn't know much else and I didn't know maybe not to sit at a school desk or carry a heavy back pack all through pretty bad pain!

An_199547 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Elizabeth,

I have, also, wondered if my neck pain is the result of a previous whiplash. One of my surgeries was for a huge ruptured disc. They really hurt, don't they!

I had scar tissue issues, also. It is amazing the problems that scar tissue can create. My spinal injections shrunk the tissue down far enough so that it doesn't push on the spinal cord anymore.

Sorry that you, also, suffer from such issues.

An_199548 replied to angelldakota's response:
Jan,

You have sure had your share of problems! Just having Fibro is enough for a person to deal with.

I, also, have tailbone pain issues. It's really a pain in the ###!

Your hands will feel so much better after you recover from carpol tunnel surgery. I had the surgery years ago, and it was a blessing!

Stay strong!

An_199549 replied to jroseland's response:
Hi Jroseland,

You poor thing, you started out so young. I didn't really suffer from "bad" back pain until I was 20 and I had my first spinal surgery at the age of 30.

I hope that today and future treat you "better"!

alispazz responded:
I have all sorts of spinal issues, I had a broken neck at 18 months, C1-4, cracked, which now have calcification, and arthritis, C5-6 has a bulging disc, and then we go down, thoracic disc have degenerative disc and more bone spurs than you can shake a stick at,

Lumbar area, has degenerative disc with L-4-5 both having protruding disc, then there is the sciatica and arthritis is pelvic bone and hips.

Every year I find it harder and harder to deal with the pain in my spine and like many others I depend on shots to keep me going...due again next week,

So I would say that yes I have spinal issues.

No I won't have surgery......Know way to many it has not helped, some it seems to of made worse.
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

An_199550 replied to alispazz's response:
Ali,

I am so so so sorry that you are suffering so much! You have a lot to deal with! Injections and meds are wonderful but they only due so much.

Surgery is definitly a questionable route to take. I had awesome relief when I had surgery for a severly ruptured disc, which is now about the only thing that I think one should consider to have surgery.

My last surgery #4, left me with a "different" type of daily pain that really limits my activities and length of time that I am active. It may have made me worse.

I hope that you have more OK days than BAD days.

Dollbug responded:
Hello.....MiMi in NC.....I wanted to comment about this....I had cervical surgery in 2007.....and I have also have back problems....in fact, I can no longer sleep in a bed....but I do sleep in a recliner....on pillows...and I am able to do this and not have the back pain that I once had each and every day...

No, I do not like sleeping in a recliner...but we FMers must do what we have to do to be the best that we can be....I hope one day to get myself an adjustable bed.....

I do know though that my issues began with my carpal tunnel problems....and I went downhill from there....not a good thing for me....but I have since learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements....now if I can only find something to help me with the chronic fatigue....

I think that FM affects both my muscles and my nerves...

Take care and good luck..

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Calcedony replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
I have had sharp piercing pain in the lumbar sacral cocxyx area. I never had this type of pain since being diagnosed with FM. I also have reflex sympathetic dystrophy in my left leg and I was wondering if any one has both of these conditions or if the DR. could comment on this occurance. Any information would be helpful. Also after a two year ordeal I got disability because of both conditions. Never attempt to get disability on your own, find a lawyer who specializes in SSDI (NY). The closer you are in age to be naturally recieving disability, the more likely you wil be granted it. This means the older you are the better!

alispazz replied to An_199550's response:
Thanks Anon,

I do okay most days but I am very limited in just what all I can do, walking for long periods is a no no, and lifting anything can cause such pain that I have to depend on others.

But I have adapted and adjusted my life, and still manage to have something that resembles life.

I take up to 6 tylenol #4, and 6tramadol a day not to mention 4-6 baclofin when I need them.

So I do get by....The real God send for me is my recliner, because I can constantly change the position I am in, and I have it padded with a soft fiber so that it is not irritating .

Thanks again
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

angelldakota replied to Calcedony's response:
Hi Calcedony... I have RSD in my right hand and legs too... I was told I got it from the trauma of being abused for years... They said my case advanced rather fast... When my body goes haywire it loves to join the club...

I am sorry to hear you have to suffer with both... I hope it treats you better then it treats me... I will pray for you...

Hang in there... Stay strong and positive... so something good for yourself each day...

take care... bless you... luv.. jan/angelldakota

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.