Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Gift for Those in Pain
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
December is a gift-giving month no matter what or how you celebrate. What kinds of gifts would help YOU with your pain and that you'd love to receive? Big or small, and if money were no object, share your wish list here! Doing so may give others ideas who may want to ease a loved one's pain this holiday season or at least give them something that would improve their quality of life.

I'm looking forward to reading what you all have to say.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I'll get the ball rolling....

I recently received a Kindle (ebook from amazon.com) and I'm thrilled! Here is why it helps ME:

It is VERY lightweight. I love to read and my pain has meant that even big paperbacks have become painful to me to hold. The ebook solves that for me.

I can set it to display in a variety of ways (sideways, etc.), depending on how I'm sitting or laying.

I can enlarge (and change) the font. This is important to me because one of the impacts of Fibromyalgia on me is constant vision changes so glasses don't really work either. Now I don't have to worry about that.

There are other fun things about it I love (cheaper books, sampling books, easy download of those books and more) but those are the two things that help me with my condition.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

KatmanduLou responded:
My DH gave me a iPad for our anniversary this summer. I can read books, play games, get my email and surf the web (we have a wireless network in the house) from my couch.

I think everyone with fibro should have a nice warm wrap to get them through the cold seasons. Whether it's a full-sized blanket, a just-right sweater, or a shoulder warmer. I'm a knitter, so I usually have something warm to work on as the weather turns chilly.

Lou

elizabeth1304 responded:
I would wish for UMLIMITED visits to my massage therapist.
Beth in AL

An_199554 responded:
I would like to one of those heated mattress covers.

ValarieW77 responded:
This is something I have been giving away to my Massage Clients. I have been making homemade Hot/Cold Packs with Essential oils of Green Tea or Lavender. Some of my clients that I treat with Bodywork have chronic pain or Fibromyalgia. I thought it would be a great idea to give these as gifts to clients for the holiday season.

Of course I made myself some at home that have seen MANY USES !!!!!! They are wonderful :)

Valarie :)

alispazz responded:
I have a couple of things that if money were no object I would give all I know

1. Is a down filled personal throw, my MIL gave me one several years ago and I cannot be without it....If I am having a day that my body does not do anything but hurt I can wrap my body in it and it feels soft and soothing.

2.would be a pair of lined crocks, I just recently bought myself a pair and they feel good on the feet plus they are warm.

3. is an electric throw, It is like having a giant heating pad....whole body style.

4. case of bio-freeze for everyone....

at which point I'd be broke so I would have to stop.....But if I could add one more thing it would be unlimited comfort food not matter what....mine would be chocolate of course.
Follow your heart and not your dreams..the dreams are from your mind and can lead you astray, the heart never can..SMOLOL Hugs Ali

An_199555 replied to alispazz's response:
Hi Ali,

Ohhhh! A down filled personal throw and chocolate, sounds like heaven to me!!!!

angelldakota responded:
Hi... Mine would be a case of Stop Pain for it works the best for me but it is too much for me to afford... I also would like a heating blanket for the rough nights so I can wrap my achy and painful body in it and have an all over heating pad...

I also love some aroma therapy for my meditation and hypnosis times... I love candles too...

Hope you all get something to help your pain...
It makes a lot of sense to make such helpful gifts... I already asked for a heating blanket... Only problem is I won't be using it all night I like to be a little cool at night... Probably why I wake up so sore maybe I should break the habit lol...

take care... bless you... jan/angelldakota

Wolfsong452 responded:
I would love to have a FM comfortable mattress box spring.

if not this, then a FM comfy recliner.

what's a body to do.

take it one day at a time.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
What great ideas you all have posted!

Keep 'em comin'! :-)

(And put me down for unlimited massages.... ;-) )

calicogirl63 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I think a gift of having a personal housekeeper (who does laundry, cooking, and windows!) is my ultimate wish! The next gift would be the services of a fitness coach to get my old creaky self back into shape...or at least my version.

As far as material objects go, I would wish for a comfy mattress topper and an adjustable bed. Nights are terrible for me...just can't get into a pain-free position. Last year's gift was a wonderful large heating pad....I do not know what I would do without it!!

I would buy a big hot tub for me and my hubby, too! Wow...I am feeling better just thinking of a pain-free Christmas!!

I would give every member of the FMily unlimited access to water aerobics! Sure wish I had a magic wand!!!!

Robbie

susan40299 replied to calicogirl63's response:
I think a personal chef would be nice, cook all the healthy foods for us!!! I can't cook, my hubby does all of the cooking at our home and does a great job at it, but it would be nice if a professional would do it for him!!

fibroKimber responded:
I would like...

~ a food processor (and maybe a nice, new sharp knife too!) because I love to cook but when the pain is bad its too bad to even be able to cook.

It's important for me to eat healthy, fresh meals because I feel that I'm sensitive to some preservatives and ingredients in processed foods. If I didnt have fibro (and had a larger bank account) I would cook ALL the time! So, any appliance/gadget/utensil that makes cooking easier and less painful for me is on my wishlist!

~ a neck pillow / neck support for the bath tub. When the pain is severe and even my pain meds dont help and i dont know what else to do i soak in an epsom salt bath for hours. But laying with my head on the rock-hard bath tub is so uncomfortable, even painful.

~ unscented hair products! You can find a lot of unscented products (deodorant, lotion, laundry detergent, etc) but its really difficult to find unscented hair products!! Actually most of them are very STRONGLY scented. blahhhh. hello headache and pain!

~Dr. P's book "Fibromyalgia: Up Close and Personal". I keep planning to buy it but havent yet. Maybe santa will bring it for me :-)

~ a new, super-comfortable mattress! Better sleep = less pain

~ TiVo! Sitting up for hours and hours all night in pain sucks, but it doesnt help when nothing is on TV that interests me. TiVo would be wonderful!

~ some new thick fuzzy comfy socks. Ahhhhh, heaven in the winter!

I'll post anything else I can think of :-)

Kimber

fibroKimber replied to fibroKimber's response:
ooh, i thought of another one...

A treadmill! I try to walk my dog when I can even if i have pain, but in the winter its nearly impossible. I just cannot be out in the harsh weather, its too much for my body and makes the pain SO much worse.

So, I could walk on it and I can teach my dog to walk on it, Dog Whisperer style ;-) It would be a great win-win gift for us both! I think i'm going to check out craigslist for a cheapie.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.