Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Having a Tough Weekend
Shan_Codi posted:
Lets just start by saying Im having a rough weekend. Im a 22 year old first grade teacher. This is my first year teaching and I'm going insane from stress. Well leave it to the dragon to take advantage of the stress.

I was only diagnosed in August and have kind of kept it secret from most friends....The only people I really talk to about my Fibro and how it makes me feel are my parents, fiance and best friend. I have never dreamed of letting anyone at work in.

Well Friday I got a horrible shooting pain down my hips, right on the bone. It made it unbearable to drive, to walk. It spread to my lower back, made me feel like I was walking with two broken hips and a knife in my back. I was forced to talk to my Assistant Principal and a neighboring teacher about my condition... ::sigh:: and was sent home.

Its not that I dont want people to know....well I guess it is. I dont want the attention ...the pity that people automatically give you when they find out something is wrong... I havent really had a chance to talk to anyone about this and all everyone says is "well just tell people you have to deal with it"....I dont want to. I just want it to go away.

All weekend I had the back pain, spontaneous hand tremors, weakness in my arms and hands... It is just too much for one person to handle. I have felt very depressed and defeated lately and am not sure what to do. :::sigh:::

calicogirl63 responded:
I am so sorry to hear you are in so much pain! I am a retired/disabled teacher myself (high school English and drama) who feels your pain! Fibro pain and depression finally forced me to stop working this fall. Don't let fibro get the best of you!!

It sounds like you may have a pinched nerve somewhere. Maybe it is sciatica. Here is an article about back/leg pain:

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/default.htm

I hope you can get your pain resolved soon. Those children need you!!

I had to take early teacher retirement after 22 years. It is soooooo frustrating to deal with fibromyalgia, especially when your career requires you to be physically active, even when everything hurts. I know that you must bend and get up and down from the floor all day! Ouch......

Please see your doctor asap! You may need some physical therapy soon.

Let us know how you are doing. I truly understand your frustration and depression. I will pray for you!

Robbie

An_199562 responded:
I have a tendency to think it sounds like something besides a FM problem, since it came on suddenly.

And since it involved some weakness and hand tremors, unless this has been a common contirbuting factor to your fm problems.

I also have kept my medical problems to myself. I didn't think it was necessary to include friends and co-workers in my medical history.

If you are still having this problem come Monday, I would consider seeing a Dr. Better to be safe then sorry later on.

Dollbug responded:
Hello Shan and welcome....MiMi in NC....sorry that you are having so much to deal with right now....but I am so glad that you have found this unique FM support group.....I am sure that you will find something soon that will help you cope better.....but it does take a trial and error process to figure out just what your body needs.....

I would like to first encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....if you have not already done so....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain within itself...this can be so important for a lot of us FMers.....

I would also like to tell you that there is some good info under "Tips" and "Resources" to the right of this page....be sure and read "member toolbox" and "nutrition and vitamins"....as there are all kinds of good "tools and tips" there on things that perhaps you have not thought of to try....

Living with the wrath of the dragon is a hard thing to get use to....but it will probably not just go away.....there are no quick fixes either to it....but there are things that will help you cope better with it....

FM is a very ugly and mean illness as I am sure you already know....and you are so very young to have "it" to deal with every day....

I have learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements....so perhaps this might be an option for you also....I take magnesium and malate combination supplement, Omegas, Super B Complex, Calcium and Vitamin D plus others....as I have other health issues...I also take Colostrum....which helps with my immune system.....you must allow at least 6-8 weeks for anything that you try....before you make a decision as to whether or not what you are trying is helping you....

What works for one may or may not work for another....as we are all different....but I am so sure that you will find something to help you cope better.....

One last thing.....teachers are so important for our future leaders of this country.....I have 3 grown children...and 2 in laws as well....my daughter in law is a teacher also....and I know how important good teachers are....

Take care and good luck to you....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

angelldakota responded:
Hi Shan... I have no more advice then you have been given already... I would just say it is all good advice...

I will be thinking of you and praying for you that this new pain is something that can be dealt with... I too have this pain almost every day... I have multiple problems and FM is the least of them usually...

I would definitely see you DR as soon as you can... It is important to check in with him/her when new symptoms occur... A lot of the time it may be FM related and if your DR knows FM he/she may be able to help you some...

Small stretches sometimes help mine... But they are small very small... I go till it hurts a little bit for my philosophy is if I didn't go till it hurts a little bit I wouldn't be excersising at all... {I can never spell that lol..}

I can tell you that you aren't alone and we are all here for you... please keep coming back and let us know how you do...

take care... Bless you... luv.. jan/angelldakota

fibroinsd responded:
Hi...from what I hear the first year can be quite stressful...so hugs to you...remember ...you are almost there !!!! Got winter break coming up soon...so don't give up !

Are you on medications??? Have you tried Cymbalta...??? I was on Cymbalta for awhile and it really helped me...

I sure understand not wanting the people at school to know...but you are going to need to have them understand what you are going through...

Oh...and my back pain came on suddenly too....and then came the dx of fm......although I think I had it for a long time...I did have a sudden problem that brought it out to the front...

Hang in there...make sure you are taking good vitamins...a multi, a B-100 complete...and a D....

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

1wareaglefan responded:
Hello, Shan....bless your heart! I'm a retired elementary school teacher. I taught kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 4th grades during my career. I know, believe me, how very stressful it is, especially these days.

I was diagnosed with fibro the summer after I retired, but had been having symptoms for several years. Actually what you described does sound like maybe a nerve thing. I don't know. But like the others said, anytime you have new symptoms, you might want to check with your doctor.

I pray you get relief. Teaching is hard, but so rewarding if it's what you really love.

Keep us posted on how you're doing, ok?

God bless you....Elizabeth

jroseland replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Hello-

I'm also one of the younger ones here (28). I'm sorry for what you're going through. I often experience sharp, shooting pains down through my legs as well.

Unfortunately, there are no easy answers. In my opinion, I don't think it's a problem that other people know as long as they don't feel like they have to do more work because of you. Yes, it might make you miss work every once in awhile, but everyone misses work from illness. The bottom line, is that if you're still able to do your job, then there shouldn't be a problem. And if you're able to be a valuable staff member, then the others may be supportive.

But I do understand not wanting people to know. Even when people know about it, I don't talk to them about it much. But it's scary not wanting to come off like you're making excuses or something.

I often have felt "defeated" and I still do some days. But once you get your treatment figured out you may begin to feel better. Many people with FM take anti-depressants, both for the FM and for depression. You may be already, but I know that has helped me a lot. They don't change you but they can make you just feel more like yourself.

There are also no easy answers when it comes to the pain. I have had FM most of my life and don't have pain free days. But many people with FM, once treated, can go weeks and months with little to no pain. The fact that you're still young and may have been diagnosed early, could make that more of a possibility for you.

It's hard having FM at any age but I know the special hardships of having it young. It's hard looking forward knowing how my life will be and some of the things I won't be able to do. I'm sorry you're going through this. I have good days and bad days (I think most of us are like this) with the emotional aspects of FM.

I hope you can find some relief. At least you have people here that can understand what you're going through!

Shan_Codi replied to fibroinsd's response:
I have been on Savella for a few months, and Im also on Topamax for migraines/ I just hate to try to explain Fibro to people b/c most people just give you kind of a blank stare.... they are not sure what to say. There are just not many people who I can talk to that I have found genuine comfort in.

What vitamins would you recommend? Right now Im just taking a gummy vitamin that my daughter takes. lol

fibroinsd replied to Shan_Codi's response:
Oh...yes...we do need to get you to the vitamin isle in the drug store...LOL>..gummy vitamins will not do it !...First..just get a good mulit...I use Centrum..but there are a gazillion to choose from !

Secondly...get a good B-complete...I use Nature made...B-100 COMPLETE...these cost a little more...but I think they are well worth it !

Next...I would start taking a D...I take Nature Made D..1000 mg. (Do get your doctor to check your D level to make sure it isn't down too far..)

others take Omega 3's...I probably should start doing that too.

At night I take a Magnesium.. Mimi..who is our vitamin "expert"..suggests a Magnesium and Malate..but I just do the Magnesium...

A couple of weeks of doing this..and I think you will notice a difference...

cece

Thanks. I will defintley be investing in some new vitamins, although I do have to say I'm sure the gummy bears are much tastier. :-)

fibroinsd replied to Shan_Codi's response:
LOL...

I just "Had" to send you this link !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC_hF31z130&feature=related

cece

hahahaha. My daughter loved watching that with me. Thanks

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.