Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
disability hearing.....any suggestions?
elle72 posted:
I am new to this message board, but glad I found you all. I am 38yrs old female and I was diagnossed in 1995 and now going through disability and have my hearing on friday and I am so scared! I know I cant work anymore cause of the same ol reasons excessive abesence and tardies. Does any one have any advice for me at my hearing?

jamesii responded:
Hi Elle, Jim here, one of the men with fibro on this post. Good luck to you with the hearing. I will say this from remembrance of my hearing: don't let the judge bully you.

Be positive in your statements that you are unable to work. The judge tried to offer me a job, there was no job that I could do and i said so. Several family members went and testified on my behalf. They tried to intimidate me, I stood my ground.

Be prepared for the judge to ask for more evidence, ask if you have been to the drs, how many times, or why you haven't been. If you went, tell him, if you didn't have the money to go, say so.

I would pray first, show up on time, state my case and defend it. You are not going there to impress him on how well you are doing, if so that will be used against you. If he asks how you are doing, if you are hurting, weak, achey, confused, say it.

Good luck to you. There is nothing worse than not being able to work, wanting to, but can't, and someone trying to shame you for that. That is what I went through.

Let us know how it goes, come back and post often.
A great supportive, praying, helpful people on this site, let us encourage you.

God bless, Ark Jim

elle72 replied to jamesii's response:
Thank you so much Jim. I will post as soon as I know, and pray yes! When I got my court date, I got on my knees, and prayed and gave it to god, cause I know this is out of my control. And I am glad I have this site now as a support system, because unless you have fm no one knows how you feel and I feel like people get tired of hearing about it. So I just keep it in but it is so taxing on me.

Thank you again and god bless you too.

jamesii replied to elle72's response:
You are very welcome. As a retired Southern Baptist Pastor, I do a lot of praying. I am asked often by people to pray for them. I will do so for you.

God is in control, but He leaves a bit of the leg work to us,. I guess He figures we need something to do.

Don't be disheartned if you don't get an answer right away, sometimes that happens. If you have to appeal his decision, do it. Don't give up easily.

I struggle a lot with family and friends who roll their eyes when I say that I am hurting with fibro. One even said he listened to a dr on tv who said it was fake. I said try it and you will understand.

I have told a couple of drs that if they had it for just a few minutes they would understand. One said, I know that is true. The other one ignored me.

Oh well, there are over 7 million of us and growing with this "Fake" disease.

God bless, don't spend to much time worrying about the hearing, stress will make you worse.

Jim

angelldakota responded:
Hi Elle... Welcome Hun... I too will pray for you... It has ben a while since I had to fight for my SSI... But I remember it vividly...

You have done the best thing possible in giving the matter to God... Now don't worry about it for that takes it back... Let it go and trust in God that His will be done....

All you need to do there is be yourself and be honest... I let my pride get involved the first time... I truly wasn't ready to give in to my illness... Thwen I realized it wasn't giving in to it but accepting it and the life I had to live... If this is my cross to bear then it is mine to carry...

I was in worse shape the second time I went to court for I got turned down the first... I was truthful and didn't hide and camouflage my illness with extra pain killers... So the judge seen the real me... and I got my check less then a month later...

Being new you might want to gather some information for yourself on how to deal with FM... There are some resources asnd tools to the right of this... please read especially the member toolbox and the nutrition and vitamins entries... They are great ideas on how to deal with FM in our lives...

Also... Have your DR check your vitamin D... It is a simple blood test but most DRs don't do the test unless you ask them to... low vitamin D can cause more pain for us...

I hope you come back Friday with some great news... Good luck...

take care... bless you... luv jan/angelldakota

Just be you... And allow God to hold you up...

t

dollbug responded:
Hello Elle and welcome....MiMi in NC....our system is so broken....but I am glad that you are going to fight this...when people are no longer able to work....the SSD is there to step in and provide a part of what we need to survive....

I was denied the first time...and I also appealed the decision..I did not have a hearing...but I did send a letter to the representative of my state....and for whatever reason I finally got approved...I think it is so sad that when people are not able to work that we then have to fight for what should be a benefit to us....

Thoughts and prayers to you....I sure hope things work out for you at the hearing.....stand up and tell them why you can no longer work....pain, fatigue, sleeping problems...thinking....

It is sad since we FMer do not "look sick".....I guess this is why it is so hard for us to get SSD....

Good luck....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

elizabeth1304 responded:
Hi Elle
I am praying you have a good attorney. If you get the chance to speak, speak from your heart. I didn't have to because my attorney did the talking. What state are you from?
Beth (in AL)

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
456 of 531 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.