Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Burning of the eyes
0902Beth posted:
Hi...this is my first post. I recently found out I have fibromyalgia. Can anyone pass on any natural supplements that has given them relief? I would really like to avoid the medication route if possible.

Also - I have a terrible time with burning in my eyes. Any tips on that?

Thanks for the help!
Beth0902

jamesii responded:
Hi Beth, Jim here-one of the men with fibro on this post. There is one supplement that is very important. Vit-D. For some reason, most of us with fibro also have low vit d. your dr won;'t check it unless you ask. many of us will tell you that ours is very low. It needs to be from 30 as a low to about 100 as a high.

You can get those at any drug store fairly cheap. If real low levels you dr should prescribe a heavy dose.

MiMi in N.C. can tell you about other natural things to take, she will probably post to you when she sees this. Very few of us are able to get by on natural supplements. I take gabapentin, sometimes tramadol, tylenol, and vitamins with magnesium.

So sorry that you have had to join us, but glad that you found us. We do have a very caring bunnch of fine people with fibro that post on this site. Many are now also on FaceBook.

Whatever you find to help, if it really helps let us know as many of our people are struggling to find what will help them.

Also, not everyone can benefit by the same meds. As we are different, so are our symptoms and places that we hurt. Why not repost and share your symptoms and see who can help with those by sharing their ideas.

To the right of this page there are tools to help you as posted by others as to what helped them. Please read those, you might find something that will be of benefit.

Please come by often and let us know how you are doing.

Ark Jim

Dollbug responded:
Hello Beth.....MiMi in NC....sorry that you have met the wrath of the dragon, aka FM....but I am glad that you have found this unique FM Support group....I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to "control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements" and doing other things....I do take Prestiq for depression every day....and this helps my emotional level....(no crying spells any longer)....it is also said that anti-depressants also help us with pain too...

I would encourage you to be sure and get your Vitamin D level checked.....which is so very important....low Vitamin D is common for a lot of us and it can also cause some of us additional pain....the test is a simple blood test....but you MUST ASK the doctor to check it....as it is not one of the common things that they check for..(yet).....I continue to hope that this will change soon....

Now....as for supplements, I take magnesium and malate combination supplement (Vitamin store) Omegas, (I take Fish Oil, Salmon, and Krill) Super B Complex, Vitamin D, Calcium and Colostrum (vitamin store also) plus others....as I do have other health issues....but these are the ones which help my FM pain the most...It took me a long time before I finally found a good combination that works....

What helps one may or may not help another...you must allow at least 6-8 weeks for your body to get the full potential of whatever you are taking....so we must have to allow enough time before we make a decision as to whether or not it is working for us....

As for your eyes....you might have dry eyes....I do...and I have an awful time.....I use Restasis......and I know that these do help....as long as I can remember to use them....

I would also like to tell you that there is a lot of good info under the "Tips" and "Resources" to the right of this page...be sure and check out the "member toolbox" and "nutrition and vitamins"....

I also use lavender bath salts in my shower at night right before bedtime....to help relax the body....I also use heating pad, when needed...and Stopain Spray (walmart) on places which will not stop hurting....

Only you will know when and if you find whatever it is going to take to help you cope....I am so sure that you will find something that will do this....we FMers must keep on keeping on....until we find something that helps....

Take care and good luck....I hope this helps you get started....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

ValarieW77 responded:
Hello 0902Beth

Welcome and I am sorry for your recent diagnosis

I do take a medication at night that is for fibromyaglia but at a low dose. As you I try to go the natural approach. I am a Massage Therapist and "natural" means alot to me and many others.

Try Yoga, light stretches, as mimi said hot baths with Epson Salts is beautiful ! I perfer the epson salts with lavender or any of your favorite essential oil. Eating right, food that enters your body has huge inpact on how you feel and how your body responds to what you are feeding it with. No artificial sweetners, perservatives etc. Try eating natural and if you can organically !

I have extreme burning in the eyes as you. I have a very hard time reading because of this. Try some saline eye drops to mosturize and see if that helps or ask a doctor what would be best.

Welcome and best of luck to you !
Valarie

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.