Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hello
Fatzinger posted:
I have FM, official dx 2004 but the doctor who told me explained in 1983 when dx with chronic fatique (yuppy flu) is when it started. I have had pain since I was 13, I spent 7 days in local hospital and 9 days at Ohio State University. I had septicemia in the blood and fever 105 ( white blood count so high they thought I had lukemia), at that time they but you on a cooling mattress and packed you in ice. They were going to put a shunt in for dialysis, kidneys thought they could shut down but God had other plans.

2003 I was beat up by an alzheimers patient who did not know what he was doing. I ended up with severe back and neck sprain with T-3 T-4 herniation and spasms that were non ending. I was on BWC when he told me about FM and luckily everything he had me for the injury was the same thing used for FM. Due to the injury and the spasms it created deep muscle knots and the doctor would only let me work 20 hours a week and not lift anything over 10 lbs. This went on for 5 months, being a nurse with these restrictions my employer let me go.

The pain increased; stress, depression, and cold are the enemy. The doctor that helped me, saved me. The tender points were driving me insane, did not want anyone to touch me, couldn't hold my grandchildren in fear I would drop them and oh when they would climb in my lap I'd cry inside from the pain. I thought I was loosing my mind and maybe the 3 neurologist I went to were right it was in my head. Then as I stated this beautiful doctor told me about FM, and even gave me the magazine. He took care of me for 5 years and he moved to Cleveland.

My family doctor was nice and kept me on the same meds but he does not believe in FM. When my employer let me go, I was off work 6 months and found a job in a doctors office that worked with my restrictions, 3 yrs later he closed his practice and moved and I now have another doctor I am working for; I work 22 hours a week but I see up to 22 patients in one office then drive 18 miles and see another 22 or more patients. This sounds easy but I am the only nurse, do vitals, bld sugars, EKGs, ABI, and draw bld. I am running in both offices and the only time to sit is driving to the other office.

I have been to my family doctor several times for the pain but he looks in his computer the whole time and ignores. I had to quit the Lyrica 300 mg three times a day because it makes me hazy mentally. Baclophen and serzone both make me sleepy so that is only taken at night. The sleep is so bad while driving I started falling asleep, so then I was put on adderall.

The depression is back and I feel again there is no one out there that understands, till I got on Web MD to look up the side effects of adderal and found this most wonderful site. I have so many questions.

The only test my doctor has run is sed rate, arthritis panel, and ANA, (they showed neg but x-ray shows arthritis in spine) would any of these test show or is it specifically Vitamin D?

Hands and feet cold, when feet cold they don't hurt but when they are warm on outside they feel cold to me and they ache, is this part of the FM?

IBS, headaches are norms for me. Has anyone experienced symptoms almost like MS? When the stress is bad the concentration gone, stumble when walking, dropping things from hands ?

With out getting in trouble can anyone give me a hint of a doctor in NW Ohio that sees people with FM.

Truly sorry this went on so long but it feels wonderful to talk about it and not bottled up inside again!

jamesii responded:
Hi to a new found friend. I am sorry that you are going thru so much, and have for so many years. I am glad to meet you on this post, and I hope and pray that many of us will respond to your post with good ideas.

Jim here in Ark., one of the men with fibro on this post. I too have had this for many years. I first came down with CFS while in VietNam in combat. I have had strange aches, pains, problems, and no energy since 1969.

After years of asking drs what was wrong with me and getting no answers from all their tests, I was dx'd in 2000, but not treated until 09. I have been on meds since sept. a year ago. Been on this site since shortly after that on my drs advice. I was told of a support group on web md, been here since then. I have met a wonderful, caring, and supportive group of people on this forum.

I have IBS, PTSD from wartime, CFS, Osteopenia, Fibro, depression, sleep problems, cold hands and feet, strange nerve sensations along with the aches all over my body, and I have low vit d.

My vit d level is 26.7, supposed to be at least 30 as a low, and up to 100 as a high. Have your vit d checked, that isn't a rountine test, you have to ask the dr to do it. Almost all of us with fibro have low levels of it.

After all tests are done and nothing shows up, and the pressure point test is done is when they dx fibro. Not all of us have the same tender points or as many of them. It seems that we all have different variations of symptoms. And, not all meds work for us. Individual needs are met by different meds.

I take gabapentin( anti seizure drug), it is for nerve pain. Fibro, as I understand it, is no more than a major rewiring (Dr P stated this) of how our nerves function.

Cold is hard on us, extreme heat in the summer is hard on us, heck- life is hard on us. We have to adjust, try the meds until we get it right, endure life and those who call us crazy, and just get by the best we can.

The major problem is family and friends who think we are nuts: They will say, it is just in your head. get a job, get a life, and get with it. I get angry, and so does everyone else when we are pushed to do what we can't do anymore. It helps to take them with you to the dr and have the dr explain your problem, if so then they more likely accept the dx.

Depression is also a part as we don't understand why this is happening, plus others who don't want to accept us.

Stress, is also normal. Headaches, skin burning, stumbling, and definetly dropping things are a part of it.

Here is praying for you that you get adjusted, that others will make good suggestions, your meds work, and that you pace yourself as you do good things for yourself. Don't ever give up and set down. Exercize in some form is highly recommended.

God bless, Ark Jim

1wareaglefan responded:
Hello and welcome to this wonderful support group! I know how you feel....it is great to be able to talk to people who understand what we are going through. Those that don't have fibro, can't possibly!

I used to take serzone for depression and anxiety before I was diagnosed with fibro. It made me pretty sleepy, too, and I don't think it worked all that well for the depression. I take prozac now, and it's working well. I find that every few years, I have to rotate my antidepressants, because they get to where they're not working as well.

I also take hydrocodone for pain, I get epidural injections (I have neck and back issues that also cause pain), and I take lots of vitamins.

All of the symptoms you mentioned can be part of fibro. I definitely have poor concentration, or fibro fog....sometimes I can't get out what I want to say...and forget what somebody just told me. I also have the stumbling problem. And the aches and pains, fatigue, etc......

Well, I hope you'll come here often to learn how others deal with this illness and also to get the support you need. We care!

God bless you.....Elizabeth

fibroinsd responded:
Hi and welcome..

First off...please read the section to the right...called tips..and read the toolbox posts...things you can do for yourself..

Secondly..Do ask to have your Vit D. level checked along with thyroid. The thyroid seems to come back fine on people here...but it doesn't hurt to have it checked..

Then, make sure you are taking vitamins...a multi, a D and a B-100 Complete might help..

Make sure you are at least stretching...and hopefully getting some exercise in.

We cannot make doctor recommendations on here...but you can go to www.fmaware.org, and I understand they do have lists of doctors that say they treat fm...and it is listed by state.

I would talk to your doctor about Cymbalta. It is now recommended for depression and pain...

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

angelldakota responded:
Hi Hun... Welcome... Sorry it took so long to welcome you... posts have been alluding me lately lol... Or alluding my eye sight... as for some reason my eyes are suddenly very blurry and I need a reading eye dog lol... Just can't get my chawawa to cooperate lol...

I can tell you too that the symptoms you mentioned are FM... and yes FM does mimic MS... I have MS also and it is fun trying to figure out if it is FM or MS that is flaring... unfortunately it is usually both lol... Thing inside me like to run in pairs or 3 or 4 at a time lol... I have several multiple problems... life is never dull here... lol...

I use to live in Canton Ohio... I sure miss it there... Heard they been getting snow... I can brag that Mesa AZ got rain lol... If you don't mind me asking where are you... You don't have to say if you don't want to...

It wasn't too long of a post... Some of mine have used 2 posts lol... I can get long winded lol... you did just fine... Come talk as often as you need and ask questions as often too...

Be good to yourself... Do something special for yourself daily... something to relax or enjoy... a long soak in an Epsom bath... read a good book... watch a movie... take a nap... treat yourself to a treat...

take special care of yourself...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

take care. bless you. luv. jan/angelldakota

Fatzinger replied to angelldakota's response:
Hello,

I don't mind telling I am from a little town called Tiffin. Lakeside Ohio has had over 3 feet of snow in the last 2 weeks. They keep getting hit.

Sorry it took so long to reply back also, The lovely cold and Christmas (which I love) shopping ( don't love), work and finals have really been in fog and pain. It seems to get worse every winter or every year I turn older..lol. Plus I keep loosing where I posted on this site! Its bad when you have to put your own name in the search.LOL

Have the Greatest Holidays

Bless you also,
Darlene

Fatzinger replied to jamesii's response:
Ark Jim,

Thank you for welcoming me, you are so right when you say family and friends think you are nuts. I made my husband go with me to the doctor who told me I had FM and then he understood. The doctor moved away, and unfortunately no doctors in this area believes in FM.

At work I never get to sit down and I am on the go the whole time, I also do a video that you walk 2 miles with it. I do get angry because the meds I can't take they make me sleepy and slow on my thinking but Lyrica was wonderful for me. FM puts you in the position you need to work for mental and self esteem but on the other hand you need the medication so you can function just to do daily living things.

That was the angry and depressing side. I would like to personally THANK YOU for SERVING OUR COUNTRY. I have a friend that served in VietNam and just recently started to talk about the things that happened while he was there.

I will ask about the vitamin D, wonder if I can find a good electrician to rewire me if the wiring is faulty..lol.

God bless you also, Darlene

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Fatzinger replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Thank you and it is a wonderful group. I have had the facet injections in the cervical, thorasic, and lumbar areas.

Reading more and more of the blogs it is amazing to me that there are more people that have FM. I hope to learn a lot and getting to talk to other people about what is going on is mentally helpful.

God bless you and Happy Holidays, Darlene

Fatzinger replied to fibroinsd's response:
Your right I have had my thyroid test done once a year and twice this past and it came back normal. The doctor ordered because of extreme fatique.

I will check the toolbox section, thank you.

Darlene

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.