Skip to content
NOT KIDDING!! Need to get rid of cold before surgery!!! help
angelldakota posted:
I am having carpal tunnel surgery on January 6th and I have a really bad cold and a worse flare... Does anyone know any cold remedies... Vitamins... old wives tales... anything I will try anything lol... I know I can't do much about the flare but pray it doesn't last that long or doesn't worsen with it... But they said they can't do the surgery if I have a cold... I have a strange wave in my heart due to nerve damage... and I am not a high high risk but high enough to classify as a risk...

I really need to have this surgery... and my cold isn't showing any signs of infection... I am just loosely coughing up and draining from my sinuses... It does feel like it is in my bronchial tubes tho... but loosely.. I am not wheezing yet... no fever...

Everyone else has had it like 3 days and is ok... but I have had it 4 and it is still going strong... I am staying very loose which I am glad of... by now I usually have bronchitis or pneumonia... I am claiming in God's name it will not turn into this and will be gone.... but I am thinking He could use some help... lol...

Isn't that why He created old wives tales for lol...

If you can't think of a way to help... Pray... My left hand is unusable and they say they don't think this will help much due to the MS spasticity that is already in it... But opnce again I am claiming in God's name that it will and I will get use back... I just have to I am not ready to go to a speaker program yet... lol... that would tell all my problems and thoughts and I keep them secret lol... lol...

My right hand will be worked on after the left.... the left being the worst... The right is how I type now... takes a bit..... lol... but you are all worth it...

well take care and have a nice day.... now I am finding I have to pace my hand too lol... so I will rest it and it's excercise time for the left... thanks for resp[onding in advance...

take care... bless you... love Jan

squarley responded:
Been trying to post you back keeps getting lost so hope this goes through I am praying for you,sending my love ,SQUARLEY

1rmouse replied to squarley's response:
Try taking one lozage of Zinc. Zinc is supposed to work well at getting a cold on the run.
And I was told taking Zinc before any sugery was a good idea. So when I know I have to go under the knife I take one lozage every other day for a week before hand and so far it has worked well for me.
Linda R. :)

fibroinsd responded:
I think the Zinc is a good idea...and lots of vitamin C.

Personally..the one medicine I think helps best for colds is Advil Cold and Sinus...but you have to ask for the one behind the counter here....It has antihistamine or something that can be used to make meth, so they don't let you buy too much of it...but it is just a cold medicine..and you can get it without a doctor's script...you just can't buy too much of it..and you have to ask for it..There is another type of Advil cold and sinus on the shelves that you don't have to ask for..but it is not the same...

The other thing, is that my aunt always swore by honey/ lemon tea...Put a teaspoon of honey and squeeze some lemon juice into some tea...soothes the throat...

I hope this helps.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

1rmouse replied to fibroinsd's response:
cece is right! I have used Advil Cold and Sinus myslef and It really doese a good job of getting past a cold. The Lemon and honey is also a Tried and True helper as well.
I hope you give them a try as I know you don't want to have a cold and be recouping from surgery.
LInda R.

An_199632 replied to 1rmouse's response:
BE CAREFUL because of B/P Jan!! You have to be careful, as some things can't be taken with B/P meds. Check with pharmacy please.

angelldakota replied to 1rmouse's response:
Thanks all... I got the Zinc one and one free... So I have 600 that ought to do me for a while lol... I took this herbal cold medicine and feel better too... And have some alka seltser cold for later... that ain't spelled right lol... I just remembered it lol... the herbal meds got my son out of the flu and cold within a day... I might get lucky and have it get me out of it in a few lol...

I have cough drips too and they usually make me cough instead of help my cough lol...

Get a borrowed vaporizer going... and hold up in the room full of steam I hope... Maybe make some turkey soup with the left over turkey... If I don't eat the rest lol...

Rest now... The kids are in bed to take naps....
My X is listening to them scream... better get use to it... He claims his head hurts.. NO worse then mine... I have a migraine of major proportions... Time to take my meds again... and then off to rest... I would like to watch a movie... but I am already using my magnifier to write and I am seeing double... Time to rest...

take care all and thanks for the help...

take care... bless you... Love Jan

1rmouse replied to angelldakota's response:
Glad you have a handle on that cold and cough now. Let us know how your doing before you have the surgery done.
I am going for my 5 year colonoscopy next Tuesday and I am so not looking forward to the prep. And I have started taking some zinc cause it's supposed to help one's body ward off things you might pick up while in the hospital and that's where I'm going to have my testing done. So I'm taking my own advice, for once. LOL
Soft hugs going out your way. Feel better soon.
LInda R. : )

angelswife responded:
Hi Jan---I use ColdEze. It is a zinc lozenge you can take several times a day and it is supposed to shorten a cold. It works for me unless I've let myself get too sick before I start taking it. It works best when the cold is just starting.
Good luck with everything. I've put you on my prayer list. (((soft hugs)))

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
376 of 403 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.