Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Painful Pressure Points While Sleeping
Iwillfeelgood posted:
My newest fibro ordeal is painful pressure points during sleep. I have found that if I prop up and place foam pillows at the pressure points, I can actually get a full night's sleep. Does anyone else have this? More importantly, has anyone had any success with a certain mattress, mattress topper, or bed wedge. I've resorted to sleeping propped up on the couch for the cushioning. Some nights are successful. Other nights the couch gives me the heeby jeebies after a while (sort of like full body restless leg syndrome). What about sleeping in a recliner? Any experiences with that? I'm saving for a good recliner to see if that helps.

Dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....MiMi in NC.....I wanted to comment to your post....I do not think that I have "talked" to you....I have been sleeping in a recliner since 2005....actually I sleep in the recliner with pillows....so you might say that I sleep on pillows...the recliner is there for support of the pillows...and this is NOT by choice...I might add...but I have found that we FMers have to do whatever it takes to cope better...

I have found out that lying down...and we have a really good mattress...that I enjoyed sleeping on before the wrath of the dragon made itself present....but when I lie down....I automatically stop up....(something to do with sinuses, I guess)...anyway....I can sleep in bed for around 4 or 5 hours...and I wake up in extreme pain...so sleeping in the recliner became a necessity for me...I continue to try to sleep in a bed on ocassion though, hoping that this will get better...but so far...it has not worked out for me...

Recliners....Catnappers is my choice....they are by far much more comfortable than any others that I have tried...I am hoping to get me another new one before long...I am tall and I need the leg room...I have one that is a rocker/recliner...you can google them online and find out where you can view one and get one in your area....

Please know that recliners are not all equal....be sure you get one that is comfortable....I really hope that one day I might be able to get an adjustable bed....but that is in the future...as they are quite expensive...my daughter has a sleep number and loves it...she also has chronic pain...(not FM though)..

Sleep problems is a normal for a lot of us FMers....and getting good quality sleep is so important for us also....my sleep issues actually started when I met the wrath of the dragon, aka FM...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

1wareaglefan responded:
Oh, I am so happy to report that I have (I hope!) an answer for you! I had the exact same thing.....hurt all over on whichever side I was sleeping on. Every spot on my body that touched the mattress hurt! Then I bought a tempurpedic (sp?) mattress topper....it's 3 in., and I noticed immediate relief....it was wonderful!

You can get them at lots of places...I got mine at Costco, and I think it was about $100, but sooooo worth it!

I hope you get relief soon...I know how awful that feels.

Take care....ELizabeth

Wolfsong452 responded:
hoping you get some good advice,

I also have terrible pain when I sleep. If it's not pain from pressure points for the FM.

Then it's pain from the pressure points for my torn rotator cuff.

egads,

can't win.

I don't have the finances to buy a new bed, or recliner, etc. I'm working on trying to find a place that will donate one to me.

Yet, in this latter case, I'd worry about the quality of it. Hey, no one gives away a bed or recliner in excellent shape.

I do not have a sofa to sleep on.

so, can't do this.

rocking chairs aren't made to sleep in. Believe me I've tried.

Bath tub, is a no way,

Good Luck,

Dollbug replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Hello Elizabeth.....MiMi in NC....I just wanted to comment....I also tried the mattress topper....but it did not work for me....I could still only get between 41/2 - 5 hours of sleep and I still woke up hurting.....this goes to say again...what works for some may or may not work for others....

I am glad though that it worked for you...

Take care...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

hisfaithful1 replied to Dollbug's response:
I too have problems with pressure points when I'm going to sleep. What helped tremendously was getting a memory foam mattress topper. It's important to get one with a good density, which means the topper will weigh quite alot. I think ours weighs about 60 lbs. It is soooo worth it! I really like the way it doesn't ever stay mushed down when you change positions or get up. And your body just seems to melt in it.

There are many companys that sell them, just try googling memory foam. And most will let you have at least a 30 day trial, if you do not like it you can get a full refund.

I can't remember exactly what ours cost, but it was under 200 dollars.

I hope you find something that works. If you do, let us know.

Hey MiMi have you ever tried one? I think the memory foam is different from the Temperpedic. (not sure of the spelling either)

Blessings

Debbie

jacksgramma responded:
I too have a very difficult time finding any comfortable spot in my bed. I not only have a tempurpedic (sp) 3 inch topper, yet a Sam's Club version of the actual tempurpedic mattress. I cannot sleep without pain pills. Yet I must say that when I'm in bed I am more comfortable than on our recliner chair or recliner sofas. I have terrible costochondritis, and my chest hurts badly while sitting or reclining.

Sorry no good answers here.

~hugs

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
462 of 537 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.