Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Low barometric pressure or cold air
JMC_z3 posted:
Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for awhile, too busy either hurting too much to get online or babysitting grandkids. It seems like I hurt in different places, like when the barometeric pressure drops, first thing that hurts is my left elbow, left wrist, left upper back areas. When it gets really cold outside its something different, like mainly my upper back, neck, bottom of feet, either way I really don't like winter now!

I haven't been able to sleep yet and it's about 4:30am(cst), I had to put on Lidoderm patches, take Xanax(keeps me from having full blown panic attacks) and Tramadol for this round of cold air, it was nice thursday--nearly 70 degrees then friday afternoon it dropped to 20 degrees and its probably 10 degrees now. I hate to go to bed when I'm like this, I do have a nice tempuredic mattress topper and electric blanket but I still toss an turn because of pain and I dont like to wake my husband up...my depression has gotten better dispite all this pain I'm in right now. It has been a month or so since I felt this bad, but just glad its not the bone searing pain--the kind that would make me want to go to the ER. I guess I'm just venting about this and should try and sleep, just hate this pain, it also makes my ears ring louder. Hope this new year is alot better for everyone! ~J

squarley responded:
Hi J, I can relate, my pain is like yours, and the cold makes it really bad,I to take xanx to keep from having panic attacks. I can not find much to help,I Just keep hoping they find some thing to make it better. I do know stress make s it worse and I have my share of that. But we must go on and make the best of what we have, I do hope this is a better year for you and hoping you feel better. Hang in there, light hugs Squarley

1wareaglefan responded:
Hello, JMC....I've been hurting more lately, too, and in different places. My upper arms have always been a bad place for me, but recently my lower arms, wrists, and hands have been hurting. I guess it's because of the fronts coming through and the cold.

Actually I've never paid much attention to the weather and my symptoms, but I hear others talk about it a lot. Maybe I ought to keep a chart or journal. But really, what good would that do? The weather's coming anyway....I can't do anything to stop it or the way it makes me hurt.

Oh well....take care! Elizabeth

bcbailey1977 responded:
The change in temperature effects me in different spots too. I am able to sleep through them, barely. Heated mattress pad set to 5 or 6, flannel sheets, 2 winter blankets, a year 'round blanket and a comforter.

Where I live in Northern Arizona we got 17 inches of snow and it hasn't gotten above freezing in about 3 days. Smoking when it's 8 below zero isn't fun when you can't smoke inside your house. The sun comes out but doesn't do much.

I haven't really increased what I take pain medicine wise but I am up to the max of 3 Lidoderm patches.

B

JoodeeBee replied to bcbailey1977's response:
I go through the same thing. It has warmed up the last 2 days! People don't get why I'm always wrapped up and cuddling the heating pad.

JMC_z3 replied to JoodeeBee's response:
Hi and thanks for replying Squarley, Elizabeth, BCBailey &JooDee-- makes me feel not alone in this pain! just wished we all didnt have to suffer through this and there was some cure for it.
I'm up tonight again, I do feel better about how I handled last nite though, I got so angry dealing with this pain, I took 1 Fibroplex(magnesium/malic acid) after Tramadol,Lidoderm patches, then saw the 3 day old dirty dishes on the counter and it took me 45 minutes to clean counter off, rinse out dishes & get them into dishwasher & clean kitchen. Its like I have to get angry and fight this pain to do something normal!
This time its not my back, its my legs, I'm pretty sure I have restless leg syndrome and 3 lidoderm patches wont get all of it. a couple weeks ago I did try taking Amitryptyline for a week or so but that just made me super drowsy during the day, did not help my pain or insomnia. I'm thinking of trying Flexeril next. I've read how alot of FM patients have to try different combinations to help this pain. I also wonder if that XRM virus or even Shingles/Chickenpox virus has anything to do with Fibromyalgia?? Seems like once I got Shingles, then double dose of Bronchitis, thats when the FM diagnosis came. Well, I better get my lidoderm patches on, just wont do housework this time around! Take care everyone & thanks for replying! J

angelswife replied to JMC_z3's response:
J---I get that way too. That was actually how I found out I had the Fibro. I'd been outside for 8 hours doing a church bake sale and froze: then the next day was in terrible pain and couldn't move. This led to the dx; however I think I had it for quite a while. Just didn't know what it was before and chalked it up to working too hard.
I do the electric blanket/ fleece blankets/etc. too. I am in CT and we just had a stretch where it was only 20 degrees during the day. Not fun when you have to be out in it. Good luck! :-)

bcbailey1977 replied to angelswife's response:
I am in Northern AZ, just got done reading the paper and we set the record for where I live for the low at night. It registered 30 below on Friday night. Thank goodness I stayed home. I found out that if I get my self to warm in bed at night I wake up with new sore spots I guess from being so comfortable.

The amitriptyline will take more than a week to overcome the drowsiness because it is a drug that has to be built up in your system like an antidepressant. It actually is an old antidepressant that they found out that works for other stuff. Like anti-epileptic drugs, like Depakote, Lamictal, Trileptal, Topamax, Neurontin (gabapentin) etc

B

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.