Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibro and chills
Choochie9 posted:
I want to thank you for being here. I have suffered from severe chills for a few years now. My family physican keeps telling me it's my hypothyroidism and then tells me the levels are perfect!!! I have terrible back pain and my back/fibro dr have had no answer for the chills. I'm thinking we shouldn't have to educate our doctors!! Anyway, tomorrow, I will head to Penney's (if it is a good walking day) and get an electric heating pad. On Friday, I will bring all of your notes to my doc. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me back my intelligence and learning how to deal with my fibro.

angelswife responded:
Hi Choochie,
I get chills from the Fibromyalgia too. Somehow it affects the part of our brain that controls body temperature (the hippocampus, maybe? Not completely sure.) Anyway, I get cold---it's like it's deep inside---and I have to crawl under my electric blanket. Even with that it can still take several hours to get warm. It is not fun.
I have noticed I can get them worse around my monthly cycle---is it worse for you then too? Just curious. Anyway, good luck with the Dr. appointment. Hope it works out. :-)

live4truth responded:
Hi Choochie, I too suffer with chills all the time sometimes I wear gloves in the house because my hands are so cold. When I lay on the couch My husband covers me up with 2 blankets.
About the back mine feel like I have rocks in it and they move all the time. I am getting ready to go have shot next week the pain is to much. I also use a heating pad. I have some Doctors that seems to be listening to me. I am very thankful for that so far.
I have lots of trouble moving my body of a morning too.
I am so very sorry for you pain.
Do you work out side the home?
Please take care.

vb4Jesus responded:
I too have chills, I am VERY senitive to the cold and I get chills so bad at times I can''t walk or move because I am shaking. I keep 4 blankets on my side of the bed all year long. I often use a hot bath to break the chills that helps with the muscle cramps too.

Wolfsong452 responded:
you should see me when I get the cold chills when I was working at McDonalds.

they couldn't believe me that I had the chills, but still red faced and sweating.

maconmom responded:
I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for several years. I frequently have what I call "pain chills". I can't warm up and my skin is very sensitive. It's a deep chill along with an ache. However, I also have hot flashes. And I fluctuate. I usually feel different from others around me. I have a blanket at work in case I'm cold and a small fan at my desk for when I am hot. When I am home and chilled, I use a heating pad or soak in a hot bath. The bath also helps to ease sore muscles. Good luck!

Choochie9 replied to vb4Jesus's response:
I get those chills too but I can't get into a bathtub because of my bback. I use all of those blankets! So glad I am not the only one. Thanks for writing.

Choochie9 replied to live4truth's response:
Hi live4truth, Have you been diagnosed with fibromyalgia? It sure sounds like you have what I have! No I was taken out of work many years ago because of a back injury and pain. Then I developed the fibro. Grrr. I just want to be healthy and be able to move around. I am so glad your doctor is listening...terrific. Mine is just giving me lip service on being cold all the time. Thanks for writing back, I sure appreciate it. Have a great summer.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.