Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vitamin D deficiency
elizabeth1304 posted:
Hope everyone is having a low pain day. I have a question. I have been reading about some of you getting your vitamin D checked. I had mine checked last week and the doctor has called saying he has ordered a prescription that I take one time a week for 2 months. My level is 13.1. Can anyone give me any input as to what this actually means? The only thing the nurse told me was that this was very rare for him to call in this med. Thanks for any advice.
Beth in AL

dollbug responded:
Hello Beth......MiMi in NC....so glad to hear that you requested that your Vitamin D level be checked....your level is very, very low....as mine was around the same thing...you will probably be taking the 50,000 iu which is good....and I hope that this helps your Vitamin D level get back up....I do know that my level did not get to where it needed to be...but the doctor did not renew the prescription dose for me...I have taken the Vitamin D for a long time now...and I can tell you that it makes a big difference for me....so I also hope that you will feel a difference also....

I think the "normal range to between 35-100....which I think is too broad of a range for people to know what one needs to have...I do urge you to be sure and read up on Vitamin D....I am sure you will find it quite interesting....I know that I continue to research it myself....as I know it also affects other illnesses as well....

I will also tell you this much....that if you are also taking the magnesium and malate combination...then you should take both of these at night....as it helps our bodies to relax...
and if you have a problem taking it....then take a bit of peanut butter with it....

It seems like more and more people are getting their Vitamin D level checked....which is so good....I think it should be included in the normal bloodwork that doctors do....so that people can keep up with this....and I think one day that it will be....

I know that my doctor told me that I would need to take the Vitamin D supplements forever....and I have continued this....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

1rmouse replied to dollbug's response:
Beth, like MiMi I want to say Good Going by asking your doctor for the Vit D scan. Most FMer's are D defecifcent. Don't know why it is, but it is and getting on high doses of D3 to get your numbers up to normal is the only way to turn it around.
You may see some difference in the way you feel the Firbro pain within a few weeks of taking the high doses. I sure did almost right away with my deep leg bone pain. I knew right off that getting D3 in my system was a good thing. Rignt now my D level is around 50.. very normal.. up from 19 two years ago.
I sware by D3 and wouldn't miss a day without taking it, 0r, getting in 15 minutes of Sun.
Soft hugs going out to you.
Linda R. : )

An_199689 replied to dollbug's response:
Hi Mimi,

I am not able to find Mag/Malate combined supplement. I will be checking websites. Any suggestions?

I am having stomach upset when taking Mag.! Is there a certain type of Mag. that is easier on the stomach? Does peanut butter help a lot?

Do you know if there are any coated Mag. available?

Dr. Pellegrino, if you see this please chime in!

dollbug replied to An_199689's response:
Hello.....MiMi in NC...I do not know if you have Whole Foods stores in your area....but this is where I get mine....and I also visit the Vitamin Store....I get the "source naturals" brand....I have been on this for a long time....it is interesting that a lot of people seem to lack enough of the magnesium also....75% of the people....but there is not much talk about this....

The peanut butter will help you....if you are having problems with it....I do not know if they have coated available or not...
do you remember Milk of Magnesia ? I know that this was given a lot when children had upset stomachs when I was young....I often wonder about this....as I hated to take it...

I hope this helps....

Take care..

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA.... My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

1rmouse replied to dollbug's response:
As MiMi noted and suggested getting natural foods is the best way to go if you have Fibro. If you can't find a Whole Foods in your area I am sure there are some Health Foods stores near you where you can ger organic and natural foods and supplements.
Those of us with Fibro have learned over time that a good diet of whole natural foods and supplements such as Vit D3 is one way we can take charge of our Fibro flare ups.
Linda R. : )

JoodeeBee responded:
My level was 7 something and I just needed vit D with caltrate. In 10 days so much better. these are otc

pixe5 replied to An_199689's response:
Hi

Any mineral or vitamin should be taken with food not only to reduce stomach upset but also to have it properly absorbed. I find it better to space the dosages of mag during the day. If you take too much at one time you can get the runs
Also it is best to take it with calcium to enhance the absorbability of both.

Good Luck!

dollbug replied to JoodeeBee's response:
Hello JoodeeBee...and welcome....MiMi in NC....if you Vitamin D level was a 7....and you just took the Vitamin D OTC....I do not understand how in the world your levels got back up to where they need to be.....as the things I have read say that the prescription dose is needed to be taken until the level is back up somewhere in the "normal range" before switching over to OTC....I know that I took the prescription for just a short time...and after over a year....my levels were still on the low end....

The normal range I think goes from 40-100....which is indeed a very wide range...and I do not quite understand why it is so broad....

Anyway....I hope you are getting enough of the Vitamin D...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.