Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Red, scaly, itchy "spots" on skin
grammie4life posted:
Good morning FMily...for several years now I have been bothered with "spots" that appear randomly on my skin...these "spots" are about the size of the end of a pencil eraser...sometimes they just appear...other times I will itch for several days before they appear...when they do appear, there is only one "spot"...not a cluster or an area of spots...just one spot all by itself.

Sometimes they will itch like the dickens...sometimes I will just happen to notice a spot that I didn't know I had. They are red & scaly. Sometimes a spot will get rather large...maybe the size of a penny. I usually get them around the waistline & abdomen...but I have had them on the calves, ankles, buttocks & inside of upper arms.

My PCP doesn't know what they are & has just recommended using hydrocortisone cream...which does help, but I need to know what this is & what is causing this.

My PCP has given me the name of a rhuemotologist (actually it is an arthritis care center...because of the pain & stiffness in my hands)...it is self referral...but she said to let them see the spots & they would be able to help me identify this condition.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had "spots" like this...if so, what do you know about it. I am not sure what shingles look like...but if I had pain associated with these spots...which I do not...I would almost wonder if that was the culprit.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and/or advise. Hugs to all of my FMily.

God bless.

Debbie
Debbie

fibroinsd responded:
Not sure what the rash is. I have gotten rashes..and the doc didn't know what they were. She told me to use Oatmeal soap. I did switch to that...but I don't think that really made much of a difference, but I do still use it..

I was watching the show The Doctors the other day, and they were saying that if you have really itchy skin that you could try using Onion OIl. I have never heard of that...but it might be worth looking into it.

Right now...I am into natural remedies..and I am using this sight...and maybe there will be an idea for you
http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Body-Rash.html

You can also look up in the search bar of Webmd and put in rash...and there are some pictures of different kinds of rashes..

hope this is helpful

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

grammie4life replied to fibroinsd's response:
Good morning CeCe...thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. Like you, I too, have not heard of Onion Oil...but I think it is worth looking into. I am at work right now, but when I get home tonight, I will click onto the link you have so graciously provided.

Thanks again & I do hope you have a great day.

God bless,
Debbie
Debbie

booch007 responded:
Good morning,
I was wondering if you went the dermatologist for this? They take a scraping and can tell you then. They are "Rashes R Us".

It sounds like psoriasis and there are treatments for this, including looking at foods that trigger it, and stress. My son has acquired this and we have many a talk about natropathic avenues as well. Look up on web MD and see how that fits.

There aren't many that travel to the places you said. They can be penny and eraser size to as much as the full back. The sun and salt water are natural things that help. There is a type of psoriasis that follows an untreated strep infection, it is another thing to be assessed for.

So Dermatology is where you belong for the diagnosis. If you saw one and he did not do this......GET ANOTHER. Using Hydrocortisone throughout the body for this is not the treatment. Good luck, I can feel the frustration through the computer. Nancy B

1wareaglefan responded:
Hello, Debbie....I'm certainly not a doctor or an expert in any way, shape, or form, but I have read in my fibro books that red itchy scaly patches are common in fibro. In fact, that was one of the questions my rheumatologist asked me about....if I ever had those.

Just throwing that out....you might research it.

Take care.....Elizabeth

squarley responded:
I have just two of those one on each upper arm, there the same as yours, Dermo,didn't really know just said dry patches ,I just keep lotion on them seems to help the itching, Had them now for 6 mo. May be part of fm, let me know if you find out any thing, thanks Squarley

abrunskill responded:
Thank God someone else has this problem! I was diagnosed with Fibro about 6 months ago and this itching is driving me crazy! We have ruled out food, detergent, meds and everything else. Itchy spots that I scratch till they get raw! Any other suggestions?

grammie4life replied to booch007's response:
Good morning, Nancy B...thank you so much for your helpfulness...I think maybe I do need to see a dermatologist.

God bless, Debbie
Debbie

grammie4life replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Good morning, Elizabeth...I am glad to hear someone say red itchy scaly patches are common in FM...I had never heard that before...but it makes me feel a little better. Thanks so much for your input.

Have a great day, Debbie
Debbie

grammie4life replied to squarley's response:
Hi Squarley...yes, I too, use lotion for the itching...and it does help somewhat...I have a large spot on my left side at waistline & it has been there for about 3 months...yet other times my spots may last only about a week or 2...weird, isn't it? Thank you for responding.

God bless, Debbie
Debbie

grammie4life replied to abrunskill's response:
Good morning, abrunskill...I am so sorry you are suffering with this crazy itching. As Nancy B recommended, a dermatologist may be the next step...have you seen a derm? I do hope you find relief soon because I know it can almost drive a person crazy.

Hugs to you, Debbie
Debbie

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.