Question for Dr. P. and FMily about motivation
1wareaglefan posted:
Hello, FMily and Dr. P....just wondering if others feel like I do....it seems so hard for me to muster up not just the energy, but the desire to do much of anything. I'll have "sparks" where I think I want to do this or that, only to find myself struggling to make it happen.

I know we can have low energy and fibro fog, but what about lack of motivation to do much of anything? Is this really the same thing? Dr. P., is this part of fibro?

Forgive me if I'm repeating myself from another post....maybe this is my main concern with fibro....just not wanting to do much of anything....blah!

Thank you for taking the time to read this vent! And thanks for the support I find with this group!

Take care....ELizabeth

fibroinsd responded:
Elizabeth...I sure understand this. I think there is so much I would like to do...but just don't do them...BUT...it is important, to start making lists of things you want to get done...

Even if you spend one day just making lists...that is an accomplishment for that day....

And then learn to pace...We have a system..I think it is listed on the tips section...called the 20/20. You set the timer for twenty min and get something done....when the timer goes off...reset it for 20 min and rest. repeat this ....and you will realize you have gotten more done than you would imagine...

The other thing I want to say...is to remember that one of your BIG jobs is to get as healthy as possible...so, for part of those 20 min....get in your stretching. Make sure you have taken your vitamins and you are eating well.

Also...one of the problems we have is that doing anything seems monumental, and if we are not careful, we can become isolated. So look for opportunities to make connections.

Remember, this doesn't change overnight...so be good to yourself, and each day...start with a fresh slate...

Hugs to you...I know it isn't easy.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

1wareaglefan replied to fibroinsd's response:
Thanks, Cece, for responding to my frustration! Maybe today I'm more exhausted than usual. I was going to go see my mother in the assisted living home, but I feel too "worn out" to go.

I did go to church this morning, and I do make other connections with my friends......going to Bible study, lunch with friends, talking on phone, or emailing. For me, that's something I must have in my life!

You gave me lots of good advice, and I'm going to honestly try and follow it....thanks again!

Elizabeth

pixe5 responded:
Hi Elizabeth,

I'm going through the same thing. For me, anyway, it's due to depression. Part of it is situational and part of it is biological. I am on meds but they are not working as well as they did in the past, because of everything that is going on with me.

I guess my attitude has been "why bother doing anything, nothing matters anymore." Cece has a good point about doing just a little bit at a time. I did the same thing years ago when I was in a deep depression and it helped me to not focus on how bad I felt. It doesn't have to be some earth-shaking goal, even taking a shower can be progress.

Thank you Cece, for reminding me about this exercise. I guess I need to start doing it again.

Pixe

NeNe_11 responded:
Elizabeth,
I feel the same way as you about the "sparks" of motivation, but never actually "doing"! Im really struggling with the low quality of life I have, especially in the las 4 years of this illness of ten years.

I think for me, the lack of motivation now comes from experience... knowing I will never accomplish the things I set ou to do anyway. I have just come to accept this. Maybe I have given up-I don't know.

Take Care, Elizabeth

Denise in Pgh

NeNe_11 replied to fibroinsd's response:
CeCe,
That is wonderful advice! I love the setting of the timer idea. I will try that with my house cleaning maybe then I will be able to accomplish something.
Denise in Pgh

hopein2009 responded:
Elizabeth,
You are NOT alone. I felt exactly the same way this morning. I finally convinced myself that taking a shower would make me feel better, so I took a nice hot shower. I was sooo exhausted afterwards I felt as if I had ran a mile!

It's not like this everyday, but often enough that it is bothersome and makes me feel guilty when i don't want to go out with friends or visit my parents. I have learned to listen to my body and not make it something it won't do. On these days, I try to do small chores or just make phone calls to people I want to talk with and allow myself to work slowly up to some energy. Do try to go out when you can even if only for a little while, it does make you feel beter and normal!

You are not alone, God bless you,
Lisa

sssfletcher replied to hopein2009's response:
I TOTALLY understand Elizabeth!!! I am really struggling with the same thing! One added obstacle for me is that I home school my children....and lack of motivation, let alone lack of energy, is not really an option in my world.....It is really draining me lately.

I go in swings with this.....and right now I am just so overwhelmed and frustrated....I just want a break!!!!!

Please know you are not alone!!!!

Shari

1wareaglefan replied to sssfletcher's response:
Thank you, All, for your encouraging replies! I don't know what I'd do without this site and you wonderful, understanding people.

God bless......Elizabeth