Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hoshimoto's on Mystery Diagnosis...Discovery Health Channel (OWN)
An_199768 posted:
Hey all...did anyone see the re-run of a Mystery Diagnosis episode for Hoshimoto's Syndrome. OMG...the woman had EVERY symptom of FMS...she went to every doctor, had the same crap told to her as we do...she even went to a "Fibro Center" where they put her on 51 different meds and supplements.
She finally went to an Endocrinologist and was diagnosed with Hatshimoto's??? It is a thyroid issue...she takes a pill twice a day for it and is right back to her normal self???
What do you think of it...any connection? Has anyone here had any luck getting their doctor to try thyroid meds???
Mine won't!!!! :(

emkay912 responded:
I didn't get to see that program, but I also have Hashimoto's disease and fibro. I'm on synthroid for the hypothyroidism, but that certainly has not fixed everything.
I think it's a case of people with FM often have other auto-immune diseases, so there is bound to be overlap.
Maybe the endo. gave some kind of compound that is helping in other ways... no idea.
I don't think you can just treat the thryroid and everything else falls into place ~ wish that were true tho!

1wareaglefan responded:
Hey....I LOVE that show! I didn't see that one, I don't think. I also take synthroid for low thyroid, plus have fibro. I agree that it's a separate issue, because my thyroid level is normal now, but it hasn't affected my pain levels.

Wish it could be fixed that easily!

Take care.....Elizabeth

fibroinsd responded:
I have often told my doc I thought there was a thyroid connection..but the tests show my thyroid in the normal level...and she did check me for Hasimotos and it was negative...no connection...

I so wish this was like a tv show where they find something and fix it in thirty min...

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

vinnie02 responded:
Funny...I am waiting for my second set of lab's to come back for my Thyroid. As a young child I developed a Goiter and was on Synthroid for many year's. When we moved no Dr. would refill my prescription because of my age. Not sure why.

Anyway, EVERY time I have seen a Dr. they alway's notice my swollen neck and do bloodwork. Alway's came back in "normal ranges". My new Dr. told me last week that when you are put on thryoid medication it is usually not something you discontinue.

He has ordered another blood test that is suppose to be more conclusive and an ultrasound. NO other Dr. has ever told me any of this. Apparently there is another blood test you can get that may show you Do have a Thyroid problem even though other test come back "normal".

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to vinnie02's response:
Hi Vinnie,

You may also want to ask your question on our Thyroid Disorders community . :-)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.